T-Mobile's 5G Network Business Strategy

stefane3

I first wanted to mention the FAQs regarding the Galaxy S20 rollout were helpful! One additional question though:

With the rollout of the Samsung Galaxy S20 phones today that are 5G compatible, it became clear that only the Plus and Ultra versions of the phone will support 5G connectivity to the millimeter wave (mmWave) part of the network. Since T-Mobile has only rolled out this specific technology in 7 cities to date, are there clearer plans on how the rollout may expand from here (if at all)? If it will get rolled out to more cities, it would be helpful to include what those plans/cities may be in a place like the FAQs. I also recognize this is probably a business strategy that may not be official or publicized at this time, but it could influence whether I decide to purchase a more expensive type of the Galaxy S20 phone. Any updates on this could be helpful to the larger community.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: T-Mobile's 5G Network Business Strategy

Millimeter Wave really isn't that important for 5G, unless you are in a very small and open area, like a T-Mobile Store.  Sub 6 is really what is important, which the other S20's have.  Between T-Mobile's bamd n71 and Sprint's band n41.  Those are going to be the most commonly used spectrum for 5G on T-Mobile in the near future for a while.

• drnewcomb2

It's good that T-Mobile has one device that works on all their bands and standards but I won't be rushing out to buy one.  If I lived in NYC and worked in lower Manhattan maybe I would but I can well afford to wait for the technology to mature and the prices to come down.

• syaoran

That is great advice!  Newer and more efficient 5G modems that consume a lot less battery is well worth the wait.  Hopefully the SD875 will have it fully integrated into the chip and optimized well enough to make it worth finally buying into.

• drnewcomb2

As I understand the way it works, if T-Mobile were to implement Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) in Sprint's band-41, it would allow simultaneous use by both LTE and 5G NR devices by sharing LTE TDD frames with 5G. This could cure a lot of LTE congestion issues, without the need to replace a lot of customer devices, while still providing the benefits of 5G for those who want that. Of course, DSS works in theory. I understand there are still a lot of bugs in the system.

• syaoran

That's the thing.  The whole thing needs some time to mature in a lot of different ways, as you mentioned.  What the future holds though should be awesome.  It will just take a lot of time to get there.

• uniquehaunt

drnewcomb2 wrote:

As official website I understand the way it works, if T-Mobile were to implement Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) in Sprint's band-41, it would allow simultaneous use by both LTE and 5G NR devices by sharing LTE TDD frames with 5G. This could cure a lot of LTE congestion issues, without the need to replace a lot of customer devices, while still providing the benefits of 5G for those who want that. Of course, DSS works in theory. I understand there are still a lot of bugs in the system.

Thanks for sharing such an amazing Blog.

• itdefbechill

I am not sure why any one thought the high frequency 5g was worth anything my self. I have had 60ghz Intel which was like 4.8gbps and it went like 10 ft. I have 5ghz wifi which barely goes 20 feet. Now I know they are consumer and not commercially graded equipment, but now if you take their 4g LTE cell spot that thing goes over 6000 feet or more. I get service all over my hill now with 2 of them which is over like 70 acres. To do that with 60ghz wifi I would need a booster every 5 feet lol.

I think tmobile 5g is the best out of them, i get 5g on top of my hill and i live 20 miles from a city. Mind you it isn't 1000 up and down lol, but it is around 30.

I think the 5g is basically though just a hype nonsense kinda like foldable oleds lol. I hear alot of people say wait, well you will be waiting forever, they will never get 1000 down and up 5g all over. You would need a tower every 100 ft lol. Then the cities would need boosters in every building.

To the person that said the modems need to use less battery I dono why you would even care. I have a note 10 plus 5g, and have used 5g for hours and didn't notice any more drain. I mean this thing goes all day if you are just using it for browsing. The most demanding are games, and even then it lasts a good 4 hours. I mean I have like 4 portable batteries and they are so cheap it doesnt even matter. I am so confused why you even care about battery life.

I Iive in the middle of the woods, and there is no time when I dont have access to portable batteries or a source to charge my phone.