Question

5G Gateway and Ooma

• 30 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I converted from cable landline to Ooma a while ago, no problem.  Currently, I’m in the 14 day trial period with the 5G Gateway.  Everything, except Ooma, is working well.  When I plug Ooma into the gateway, Ooma never successfully connects.  When I plug my router into the gateway and Ooma into the router, Ooma connects.  I’ve read several things that suggest I need to modify several port settings in my firewall or modem, but can find no method to modify these settings in the gateway.  And, I’d think that going through the router wouldn’t change any of that.  I can live with the router solution, but would rather eliminate an extra point if failure in my home network.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

You might try adding a new WiFi network for the Ooma. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your Ooma. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. See if the WiFi network you've created will allow your Ooma to connect.

Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am assuming that your Ooma device is not Wifi capable.

Check the “Devices” tab on your TMO Internet app. If you don’t see Ooma on the list, Ooma probably is still using the cached IP address of the previous network without getting a new IP from TMO gateway. In this case, power off Ooma, wait 60 seconds, and power back on. It should be working.

Badge

KHN1955 said:

“When I plug my router into the gateway and Ooma into the router”

Can you privde your gateway Make and Model #?