Question

5G Home internet keeps dropping!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've had 5G home internet service for about two months, after two weeks it started acting up. For about five times a day all my devices connected to the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway lose internet yet stay connected to wifi, I've tried everything! Do I need to replace my gateway? Very frustrating. 

82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If it requires a reboot that often I would be inclined to believe the gateway has a problem and a replacement might be needed. I think you should bring the behavior up with support. If you can do so at a local T-Mobile store that might be helpful. 

Badge

This started happening to me back in July.  I ultimately had to cancel my T-Mobile home Internet because it just wasn’t working for us.  It was nearly flawless for the first seven or eight months of service.  Easily over 300 Mbps for all of our (20+) devices.  It was a dream replacement for our cable Internet that was just getting more and more expensive.  However, no Internet just doesn’t work, so we replaced it with Verizon 4G LTE which is admittedly MUCH slower.  Slower, but reliable and always present.  That works for us.  I am very sad that T-Mobile quit on us.  It was great while it lasted.  I think that our usage got us bumped off.  We routinely used in excess of 1,600 Gb of data monthly.  Interestingly, though, during this time our phone’s 5G failed to provide Internet for us.  To get an Internet connection with our phones, we needed to downgrade to LTE.  5G would connect, but it wouldn’t provide ANY Internet access.  That is clearly unacceptable for a home Internet solution.

This continuing modem dropping issue is very frustrating especially when we’re out traveling and our security system isn’t functioning. The only way to get it back up and operating is to unplug the modem, wait for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Should this continue, we’ll be closing our “T-Mobile” account as well. We can’t afford to have our security and monitoring systems compromised. 

Badge

This continuing modem dropping issue is very frustrating especially when we’re out traveling and our security system isn’t functioning. The only way to get it back up and operating is to unplug the modem, wait for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Should this continue, we’ll be closing our “T-Mobile” account as well. We can’t afford to have our security and monitoring systems compromised. 
Too bad the “Gateway” modem can’t be restarted and back on line without physically unplugging and rebooting it. Does help where no one’s available? 

Hey everyone, I do actually have a remedy that will go a long way to solving some of these issues around constant disconnects. Not saying it will work for everyone but it worked for us where we were constantly getting dropped from video business meetings.

Out of the box the 5688W comes with the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network selection as automatic. Don’t know about the other router models but assuming the same. This basically means that any devices you connect to the network will automatically connect to the 5Ghz network (faster but lesser range) unless the 5Ghz is out of range in which case they will connect to the 2.4Ghz (slower but greater range). This can actually cause an issue with functionality of some 2.4Ghz only IoT devices (e.g. my craftsman garage door opener) as they will automatically try to connect a network that doesn’t support them creating a whole new set of problems. Additionally networks can become ‘bogged down’ if too many devices are connected to them. Every single smart light bulb or plug etc. counts as a connected device. I was >50 devices.

If you log into the TMO app and select the Network tab you will see default network shows as Frequency Band = Automatic (recommended). To remedy the situation take the default network and under Frequency Band select the dropdown and change this network to either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz (doesn’t matter which) and name it accordingly. Then click the pink (I used to work for TMO and they hate their magenta being referred to as pink 😊) + icon in the bottom right hand corner which will allow you to add a second network. If you chose the default network to be 2.4Ghz ensure this new one is 5Ghz and vice versa remembering to make sure you name it accordingly.

Now you will have to completely separated and easily selectable networks. One 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz. Every connected device in your house will lose connectivity at this point and will need to be reconnected. Now comes the painful part. You need to redo the setup process for everything. Smart TV’s, Fire TV’s, Plugs, Bulbs, AC, Oven, Fridge, Irrigation, Security Cameras, Tablets literally everything. When going through this process ensure that you connect them all to the 2.4Ghz network. Anything where connectivity is not critical, sideline them all onto this new network.

This should leave your 5Ghz network completely empty and reserved for anything that is time critical. For my Wife and I this is purely our work laptops and cellphones as we both spend most of our days on zoom/teams/conference calls etc. We went through  weeks of constantly having to restart the router and it would always happen right in the middle of a critical work call. Since I went through this process a few weeks ago we haven’t seen a single drop for work calls.

Hope this works for you

It looks like the stores are no longer stocking Nokia 5g gateway. I spoke with another representative and said the tower is going to get a capacity upgrade 4Q2022. There is a capacity issue at the tower at the moment.

According to my Sagecom Gateway, I only have access to the N71 band (low band low capacity) connection.

I assume if and whey they upgrade, Tmo will add the N41 band (mid band higher capacity). Is everyone experiencing the frequent drops only connecting to the N71 5G band?

Same issue on N41.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It is premature to assume that. The move to deploy the n41 is to have improved data capabilities with less congestion. The millimeter frequency is shorter and has greater capacity. If it is done correctly and the cells are not overloaded it should be a nice speed increase. Here that was the result after the n41 deployment. My RSRP metrics report much lower but the RSRQ and SINR both improved so the end result is much better performance and almost 2x the speeds both up and down load. I was skeptical when I saw the n41 surface here but after ~4 days of intermittent disruptions the n41 came on to stay and it has been very good. Stay positive and hope for the best. 

Badge

Thank you for the information. 
Please keep us updated on any new developments regarding a resolution to our Wi-Fi drop issues. 
Hopefully this can be resolved quickly before we are forced to close our accounts and pursue another ISP service company.

This started happening to me back in July.  I ultimately had to cancel my T-Mobile home Internet because it just wasn’t working for us.  It was nearly flawless for the first seven or eight months of service.  Easily over 300 Mbps for all of our (20+) devices.  It was a dream replacement for our cable Internet that was just getting more and more expensive.  However, no Internet just doesn’t work, so we replaced it with Verizon 4G LTE which is admittedly MUCH slower.  Slower, but reliable and always present.  That works for us.  I am very sad that T-Mobile quit on us.  It was great while it lasted.  I think that our usage got us bumped off.  We routinely used in excess of 1,600 Gb of data monthly.  Interestingly, though, during this time our phone’s 5G failed to provide Internet for us.  To get an Internet connection with our phones, we needed to downgrade to LTE.  5G would connect, but it wouldn’t provide ANY Internet access.  That is clearly unacceptable for a home Internet solution.

We are experiencing the same for 3 months worked perfectly and then keeps dropping the internet connection and it got worse with the new gateway. However my cell phone connection is very strong so I have been using a hotspot created with my phone. But I think that I am going to look for different provider.

It looks like the stores are no longer stocking Nokia 5g gateway. I spoke with another representative and said the tower is going to get a capacity upgrade 4Q2022. There is a capacity issue at the tower at the moment.

According to my Sagecom Gateway, I only have access to the N71 band (low band low capacity) connection.

I assume if and whey they upgrade, Tmo will add the N41 band (mid band higher capacity). Is everyone experiencing the frequent drops only connecting to the N71 5G band?

Same issue on N41. 

Update 2/23/23: installed a Keep Connect 1/19/23. Since then 16 resets. Of those 1 DNS failure, 2 TCP/TLS connection failures and the rest Unknown loss of internet. Resets have been at random times day and night. At least now we don't have to manually reset the gateway and therefore don't notice it.

This happens. I started off with Metro and went to T-Mobile but all together 8 months. Unfortunately, this will happen due to the fact that software engineers are working remotely to keep their towers in check. I will get what you experiencing 1 or 2 days every 2-3 weeks and sometimes the episode will last under an hour or longer. I’m still happy with the move I made. It still beats my  former cable provider.

Badge

Same issue on N41. 

Update 2/23/23: installed a Keep Connect 1/19/23. Since then 16 resets. Of those 1 DNS failure, 2 TCP/TLS connection failures and the rest Unknown loss of internet. Resets have been at random times day and night. At least now we don't have to manually reset the gateway and therefore don't notice it.

How to find which band we are connected to on our modem? “Thanks.” 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue on N41. 

On the TMO Internet App, go to More then Advanced Cellular Metrics, 5G.  Your band will be at the bottom.

Badge

Same issue on N41. 

On the TMO Internet App, go to More then Advanced Cellular Metrics, 5G.  Your band will be at the bottom.

Thank you for your reply and knowledge. 😉

Badge

Same issue on N41. 

It does show we are using band “b66.” Guess we’re using the best available for our area? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue on N41. 

It does show we are using band “b66.” Guess we’re using the best available for our area? 

Go to cellmapper .net and find towers in your area.

Alternatively, place the gateway at different windows to try getting N41.

Badge

Same issue on N41. 

Go to cellmapper .net and find towers in your area.

Alternatively, place the gateway at different windows to try getting N41.

Will do. “Thank you again.” 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Nokia.  Activated 16 days ago.  Speeds up to 650 during the 15 day trial.  Now 1.5 unless I keep resetting.  Speed goes up to 200 after reset.  It’s like they are giving people on the 15 day trial the fastest speeds.  Wish I didn’t disconnect my slow but reliable DSL.

It worked great for 4 months now I can't even watch a movie. The only thing I have hooked up to my internet is my tv. What a joke. 

Badge

On the “T-Mobile Internet” app, you can remotely restart your modem from there. You can also view all devices connected to the modem and their signal strength. Sometime restarting/rebooting the troublesome devices (TV, security system(s), other Wi-Fi devices) can also re-initiate a good signal connection. This may also help? 

I'm having the same problem. I'll try some of the suggestions here but if things don't get better soon, I'll be looking for a more robust solution. But, I really like the speed when it is actually connected. Currently we are getting dropped about once a day. 

I guess all the unstable speed issue is related to tmobile’s depriorization on home internet (Per tmobile website).

My home is close to tmobile tower, and I can consistently see 500mbps on download, and 100mbps on upload most time of the day. However it happens at random time of the day and every day that the download is degraded to less than 1mbps download. When this happens, I reboot the gateway manually, it still does not help after reboot. The issue cleared itself up after 1 hour.

Good explanation is that home internet cell site is congested and tmobile home internet is deprioritized to get very little radio resources.

My connection was generally good until yesterday. Tech support have not been able to help, in part because my calls (through a T-Mobile MNVO keep getting dropped).  To me this suggests problems with the tower--but what do I know? One tech asked me to do a factory reset (no luck). Another tech on a subsequent call asked for my IMEI and said that they did something, though it didn’t work either. I just tested my Up/Down on OOKlA 18 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up.  

I am in the San Fernando Valley, so overheating could be an issue, but the problem began in the evening and when I had WiFi turned off via script.  

I got a 120 MM fan that has rubber feet for a stand, and then used hot glue to stick the modem to it.  (Look up Marame 120mm 5v USB Powered Fan with Speed Controller on Amazon for something similar) they’re out of stock on the one I bought two years ago). And I got a USB-A to C adapter and plugged it into the back of my trashcan for power. Still working after two years, can turn it from low to high on a hot day, still quiet on medium or low. And I don’t need an extra power cable. Oh, and my trashcan hasn’t crashed that I know of anymore two times I can remember, I often get 45+ days of uptime on the thing before dns resolving starts to slow down.

Started happening for me on the Nokia after their latest “stability” update. Does T-Mobile actually have proper engineers that know how to test? The trash 1.2204.01.0101 update ruined my connection and made my time-consuming antenna installation useless. It now seems to connect to the tower with the worst signal. Really, you want to connect to a tower with a -119 RSSI / -2 SNR instead of the one that I was connecting to before with a -97 RSSI / 15 SNR. Idiots.

Awful company run by incompetents. Just about ready to jump ship to Starlink. Haven’t heard stories with this degree of absurdity from their customers.

And I absolutely hate the gaslighting of customers with tower upgrade nonsense. I’ve completely given up on contacting customer support because I already know what they are going to say.

My home internet started out good for about 6 months, then in the summer it was weaker I guess because of trees/leaves and other interference . Moved the modem around the home to get the best signal. Then after the summer it would always work good in the morning until about 2:25 each day then the kids from other households(no kids in my household anymore) would come home from school and it would disconnect for 20 minutes and then be spotty until 5pm.  Called support several times. They finally admitted to a congestion issue that would be  solved “soon” which was three months… The bottom line is tmobile is signing up too many customers which drove me to leave. Back to cable and somehow at half the cost for two years. BUT kudos to tmobile and other companies for providing competition to cable to drive down prices. 

Custom service was always polite and but if tmobile is signing up too many people then it is pointless service.

I've had 5G home internet service for about two months, after two weeks it started acting up. For about five times a day all my devices connected to the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway lose internet yet stay connected to wifi, I've tried everything! Do I need to replace my gateway? Very frustrating. 

I have same issues. Have had router replaced 2x. No change.