Question

5G Home internet keeps dropping!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've had 5G home internet service for about two months, after two weeks it started acting up. For about five times a day all my devices connected to the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway lose internet yet stay connected to wifi, I've tried everything! Do I need to replace my gateway? Very frustrating. 

82 replies

The problem is that this is a wireless connection and not a normal land connection like fiber optics. It all lies in the security protocol where they are using a dynamic IP address which assigned to you by your internet service provider (T-Mobile) and is subject to change. This means that your IP address can and will change each time you connect to the internet, or while you are connected which causes the issue. This makes it a bit harder for criminal hackers to monitor your online habits. Until they switch over to a static IP this issue will continue to happen. Nothing you do on your end will solve the problem as you will see by reading the other posts. 

Still an issue. Like most here I had decent internet for months, and now for about the last month it just drops randomly. Usually not for long, but consistently at least once an hour some times more. It’s not “throttling” as I work most the day and honestly barely use my home internet that much, why I tried to get the cheapest plan I could with this.

As others have said I guess it’s just too many people in my area buying the plan, either for home internet or phones.  There are a lot of apartments in my area, so a lot of people around a small area. Though  I will say there are 3 towers within sight of each other in my area, so it’s pretty sad they are still over loaded, and Tmobile keeps selling more plans.

Support is nice, but generally unhelpful. You get told to turn it on and off, factory reset. They do a little “test” on their end, say every thing is fine and shrug. It’s almost always considered “your fault” some how, despite the gateway being in the same location for a year or more, it’s now suddenly a bad spot. It is also winter in my area, I highly doubt it’s over heating all the sudden when it worked fine in the summer where it was 90 degree’s or more in my room.

I just almost wish it was slow speeds, as I said I don’t use it for much. But the dropped connections really mess with even just browsing web pages and they constantly fail to load. Let alone watching movies or anything like that.

I had finally had enough getting 5-6 keep connect resets a day, Tech support remotely checked out everything as ok, we did a factory reset didn't help so went into the store to return in their words the "silver garbage can" and replace it with the Sagemcom Fast 5688W Gateway. Signal strength was much better and no more keep connect resets. Problem solved.

Badge

Like so many others, same situation.  TM just doesn’t care.  Just cross your fingers you get another option for internet access soon, or bite the bullet and pay for Starlink if there is nothing else.  Here are my stats today.  They insist nothing is wrong….

We tried the 5G TMobile Internet for a month free trial in August 2023. We got 3 bars which apparently is “good”, and for our use was fine, we have 1 streaming device, 2 computers 2 phones, don’t stream the world all day, do need reliable service though for Zooms, etc.

The first month was great, so we dumped our previous internet provider, who wanted to increase our rates yet again, promising shiny more bigger better faster bandwidth than we would ever use. Little did we know.

Now its November, and for the last 3 weeks our internet service has been slowly getting worse, to the extent where the connection drops constantly, several times an hour, which has disrupted work zoom calls, and daily convenience. It has dropped twice while typing this reply.

Signal is down to 2 bars no matter where we place the gateway. We feel we have been conned by a bait and switch scheme, and are being used by TMobile as guinea pigs, paying for a substandard service while we pay for their 5G upgrades.

Its not going to continue like this. We told TMobile customer service we wont pay for substandard service, and we would be going back to our previous provider, despite the additional cost, because at least we received what we paid for.

All of these obscene profit making tech companies treat customers like they’re stupid. Most people don’t care, they just pay through the nose, ignorant of the grift. We work in tech, I’m calling on 5G until these companies step up and fulfill the hyped claims. My iphone doesn’t even register 5G most of the time and we live in Los Angeles

My internet wifi  tmobil home es basura .Ya que no tengo lo que ellos dicen que es de 500-mbps.Y lo que tengo es download 69-Mbps.y de Upload es de 20.87Mbps.Es solamente es una Mafia para conseguir clientes.No han resolvido el problema de la senal del sistema.Wifi tmobil home internet.Ate--Tito cuevas de New York

I've had 5G home internet service for about two months, after two weeks it started acting up. For about five times a day all my devices connected to the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway lose internet yet stay connected to wifi, I've tried everything! Do I need to replace my gateway? Very frustrating. 

HAS ANYONE FOUND A RESOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE? I AM HAVING IT ALSO AND TECH SUPPORT CANT HELP AT ALL. It started the day after the 15 day trial perion and now I cant get the internet to work at all on any device. My PC wont work, my iPhones wont work, my wifi smart plugs wont work etc. Although the Gateway says my connection is EXCELLENT