finding TMobile cell tower locations

• 28 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Happen to run across this cell tower locator….

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260

1 - you have to turn off any AD Blockers.

2 - DO NOT download anything…. sketchy Ads

3 - you DO NOT have to Log In - to anything

3 - scroll down and enter your “Location Search” (city & state)
and it should show you a local map AND the location of any towers and their bands...

6 replies

Was just using this today for 1st time as we have a total blackout. What do the different color outlines of a coverage area mean?  Green, blue, purple for the same tower upon sequential taps on the tower dot/button on the map. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you look to the left panel while it is in the “General” view then mouse over that info and scroll down you can see the legend and get more information about what you are seeing. Expand the various data options. Poke around a bit to learn the interface and discover more. 

Once you select the provider then you can filter by 4G LTE and 5G NR cellular networks. To reduce clutter select one or the other. You will see many more 4G LTE tower references vs the 5G tower references. So if you want to find a 5G tower by the PCI, physical cell identifier, then look for towers in your area. If you allow the initial location to be used it helps. Do avoid ticking on any adds unless you just want to go there. I avoid all the adds. I made an account and login but I have NOT seen any adverse impact due to that. 

If you have an Android device and use their application there is some benefit to having the account. You can read about using their application and how to feed the database information about the tower and the cell delivery. When people contribute to the database it makes the solution more complete. Unfortunately with Apple IOS devices there is no application that can upload the findings so no contribution can be made as such.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve been using CellMapper for many years. It’s a techie site, intended for folks who don’t mind dealing with all the details. Also, tower sites in red are calculated from signal data. Sites in green have been positioned by volunteers. Different color coverage arcs are associated with different band signals.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

With the legend you can see light green is best and as you go to orange the signal strength is worse. When you explore the options for reporting on the left panel you can set filters but be aware that as you filter you can knock out what you are looking for. If the area is very busy with many towers and frequencies you may want to limit some frequencies to see the ones you know your connections are made to. In busy metro areas the filters can help. It is good to just poke around and learn the interface. 

One aspect of using cellmapper.net that I have encountered is that many unverified towers are listed. I know the tower where both the 4G and 5G frequencies are sourced from for our home internet source but it is not verified and if the 5G filter is used the tower does not appear. If the 4G LTE is used it appears and the 4G LTE cell is clearly seen. I have received verification from T-Mobile that the 5G NR signal comes from that tower but cellmapper.net does not have that information in the database. Since I dont have the application due to having IOS devices I cannot upload the data to the server to get that into the database. So far no users in the area have contributed the data up to the CellMapper.net database. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with you 100% it is really a site for the geeks that want details. It takes a little time to learn but really is not that difficult if users just take some time and think about what is there. Sure some of the details take more understanding but it is a learning experience like anything else.

Mmm the cellmapper.net are not accurate… I know there’s two towers near me but the map did not show up at all. I need to figure the distance between those two towers to my house.

Looking for somewhere else for better information...