Question

Home Internet Disconnecting Idle Devices

• 19 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I've read through many of the posts on here and I'm not seeing a real answer to this.

I'm new to T-Mobile Home Internet but have many years experience in IT.

I have a Samsung TV, multiple Amazon echo devices, Amazon fire TV stick, many smart light bulbs, plus my Moto 5G phone all connected.

Devices seem to randomly get disconnected from the Internet and I have to reset them to refresh the connection. Most of the time it seems to be when devices are idle like the Amazon echo when not in use. However, my phone will randomly disconnect while I'm using it and I have to reset the Wi-Fi on my phone.

It's not an overheating issue like many posts say. The unit has a very cool temp. As far as signal goes, I'm getting over 250mb download speed with 3 out of 5 bars. When my TV is connected I have no issues streaming high def movies. It's also not tower maintenance. That's a standard blanket excuse for when they have no answer for you. 

So I'm wondering if there's a back end SSL route or admin GUI to be able to adjust settings. If it's setup to halt a connection that's been idle for a certain time frame, we should be able to adjust it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway with 48 devices connected and don't have the problem you're describing. It almost sounds like the TTL is too short for devices that don't “call home” at least once in a certain time frame. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but if the same devices are disconnecting, have you checked the Devices tab of the phone app to make sure none of the dropped devices are on a schedule, or that they're expected to be connected at all times?

Sorry I can't be of more help with your problem. Good luck!

Badge

I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway with 48 devices connected and don't have the problem you're describing. It almost sounds like the TTL is too short for devices that don't “call home” at least once in a certain time frame. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but if the same devices are disconnecting, have you checked the Devices tab of the phone app to make sure none of the dropped devices are on a schedule, or that they're expected to be connected at all times?

Sorry I can't be of more help with your problem. Good luck!

Yeahi have checked that. I've only had this gateway for two days now. Nothing is scheduled. I play music at night to sleep and found that my main Amazon echo that I play from list connection sometime within a 4.2 hour period. So that kinda rules out the TTL.

I have had T-Mobile home internet for a few months now and do not get any random disconnected devices.  However, it may be because I don’t use the gateway’s wireless capability.  I have my own mesh wireless router connected to the gateway via a network cable and use my own wireless router for all connectivity in the home.

Maybe, if you have your own wireless system/router, you just connect it to the gateway for the internet access and don’t bother with any of the functionality built into the gateway.

Forgot to add - I have devices like you do - Amazon echos, smart plugs and switches around the house, etc.

I've read through many of the posts on here and I'm not seeing a real answer to this.

I'm new to T-Mobile Home Internet but have many years experience in IT.

I have a Samsung TV, multiple Amazon echo devices, Amazon fire TV stick, many smart light bulbs, plus my Moto 5G phone all connected.

Devices seem to randomly get disconnected from the Internet and I have to reset them to refresh the connection. Most of the time it seems to be when devices are idle like the Amazon echo when not in use. However, my phone will randomly disconnect while I'm using it and I have to reset the Wi-Fi on my phone.

It's not an overheating issue like many posts say. The unit has a very cool temp. As far as signal goes, I'm getting over 250mb download speed with 3 out of 5 bars. When my TV is connected I have no issues streaming high def movies. It's also not tower maintenance. That's a standard blanket excuse for when they have no answer for you. 

So I'm wondering if there's a back end SSL route or admin GUI to be able to adjust settings. If it's setup to halt a connection that's been idle for a certain time frame, we should be able to adjust it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

It's not a suggestion for me... The app is so flaky... I'd love to see some sort of other options.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I don’t have that issue with the Arcadyan router.  But one thing I have noticed is that it is a WiFi 6 router and it will sometimes select DFS channels that older devices may not be happy with.  So you may want to check what channels your router is broadcasting on when you observe the disconnects.  If is this the issue, then you can set up a separate 2.4 GHz SSID, and connect your older devices to that.