Question

2.4 Ghz Signal Keeps Dropping

• 22 October 2020
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

The 2.4 GhZ wifi signal on my LTE router keeps dropping for no reason. Only way to get it back is to restart the router.  Happens almost every day. The 5 Ghz works fine.  Any fixes?

25 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve been having the same issue ever since I got T-mobile home internet about a month ago. At random times my devices will no longer be able to connect to the 2.4ghz network. The signal still broadcasts, but I will get a “cannot connect to this network” error on the device when attempting to connect.

The only solution for this is to reset the router, but this happens daily (and actually twice so far today). As happy as I am with the price, I WFH and can’t be running across the house to reset my router to restore my internet service 1-2 times a day.

Having the same issue here

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My guess would be you have exceeded the max number of 10 devices in the 2.4 band. Had this happen once I started adding smart plugs, garage door, Alexa, Chromecast, etc. adds up quick then if you have multiple phones and/or PCs as well. You can check through the Home Internet app. If this is the case there are a few workarounds. 

I just received my router yesterday and everything was fine but just this evening the 2.4ghz band keeps dropping out every 5 minutes for a few minutes at a time. I only have 3 or 4 devices connected to the router. The 5ghz band sems stable. There's an older laptop which doesn't recognize 5ghz, so I need 2.4 to be stable. I'm in an area with no other wifi networks, so it's not some kind of interference. Any solutions? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I would look at the app or log into the router and check “devices” just to verify which devices are connected. I would then reset the router. If no dice, I would just call tech support. 

it was reset multiple times, still continued to drop. only a max of 5 devices in my house have the password to connect at a time. anyway, i had a spare router on hand and am just using that to broadcast signal. no issues since.

My guess would be you have exceeded the max number of 10 devices in the 2.4 band. Had this happen once I started adding smart plugs, garage door, Alexa, Chromecast, etc. adds up quick then if you have multiple phones and/or PCs as well. You can check through the Home Internet app. If this is the case there are a few workarounds. 

What workarounds do you know of? I’m trying to avoid buying another access point. Its very strange “home internet” would have such a limit in this day in age. Put a few security cameras, door bell(s), Alexa’s, and you hit that limit really really quick (just like every one else says).

T-Mobile really needs to adjust this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What workarounds do you know of? I’m trying to avoid buying another access point. Its very strange “home internet” would have such a limit in this day in age. Put a few security cameras, door bell(s), Alexa’s, and you hit that limit really really quick (just like every one else says).

T-Mobile really needs to adjust this.

I ended up buying a $40 access point. Works beautifully. Am able to connect an extender to it without any issues. Loaded up the number of devices. No problems. 

Exact same issue here. Devices connected to 2.4 signal suddenly lose internet. Our Vivint security system only connects to 2.4 so it regularly cuts out. Having a spare router to connect devices to may be a workaround but the problem needs to be addressed with an update to Tmobile’s device.

I tried the spare router but ran into double NAT interference. Also, google home speakers and chromecasts won’t connect to 5 or 2.4.

Have same issue -- only 1 device on 2.4.  Power on/off fixes it but a pain.  This seems to be an LTE router issue so likely low on T Mobiles priority.

Same issue and they even admitted there IS a known issue and attempted to fix by replacing the gateway, but it didn’t help.  Seems more like a data use trigger verses number of devices.  We have TV and Security cams connected and occasionally a phone or PC.   VERY frustrated.  Can’t wait for Verizon to open their service in our area, or possibly a better rural home ISP will come along 🙏🏼

the price is great internet not so much. when connected its great but thats maybe twice a day. Went from dsl to this but the dsl was always connected come on T-mobile fix this crap we all know you can

Same issue have my security cameras hooked up to it and it constantly loses service router says no connection and doesn't automatically connect have to physically power on/off gateway then it works again for a short period of time..however when I'm not home for long periods can't reset it. Have called customer support several times and had to wait on hold for hours and once finally connected they transfer me to another department and wait on hold for hours again. Sent me two new gateways one didn't work out the box. New gateway didn't fix the issue. Internet is almost useless as it's never working and customer service is a multi hour process and they provide no solution. Paying for a service that works maybe 10 percent of the time. Wish TMobile would fix this issue...I'll be looking for a new service.

Same problem; recurring for several months.

I've contacted t mobile home internet customer service numerous times now and have put in several tickets with I.T. and they keep saying they are looking into it. Everytime I call back it's a new service rep and I have to explain the problem all over again and get no solution. Very frustrating as I'm paying for a service I can hardly use and seems like no solution in sight.

WTF TMobile !! I just switched to TMobile 5g home internet and so far was enjoying it but until my 2nd week , which is now the 2.4gh drop issue, I see they don't give a damn on this since this problem was experienced by other subscriber, I will move to Cox soon!! Don't want to waste my time calling the support, thanks to all that shared your experiences here.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry others are experiencing this issue. I have found the workaround is to buy another access point. I bought a cheap router for $25 and connected it to the Tmobile router. I use the cheap router to connect to only my my 2.4GhZ devices. Make sure you name the router Wifi the same as your Tmobile so it will “fool” the device. Hope this helps everyone else.

Has anyone tried separating the connections? Received the round, black 5G device yesterday. I don’t think it’s heat related because I had a connection error before I was even able to connect a device to the WiFi after setup. Then 2 more times within 12 hours of setup. I read in this forum about some people thinking that it was disconnecting when it switched between 4G and 5G so I got the idea to separate the connections on 192.168.1.1. I did that and then connected to the 5G connection only on my phone and tv. That was 24 hours ago and I have not had a disconnect yet. After 3 in 12 hours yesterday, I’m feeling optimistic so just wondering if anyone else has had any luck doing it this way. 

Has anyone tried separating the connections? Received the round, black 5G device yesterday. I don’t think it’s heat related because I had a connection error before I was even able to connect a device to the WiFi after setup. Then 2 more times within 12 hours of setup. I read in this forum about some people thinking that it was disconnecting when it switched between 4G and 5G so I got the idea to separate the connections on 192.168.1.1. I did that and then connected to the 5G connection only on my phone and tv. That was 24 hours ago and I have not had a disconnect yet. After 3 in 12 hours yesterday, I’m feeling optimistic so just wondering if anyone else has had any luck doing it this way. 

please explain how you “separated the connections” 

Go to 192.168.1.1, scroll down to WiFi networks. Login. Manage WiFi networks. Switch from combined to separate. Separate does two separate networks for 2.4 and 5. Then when you connect on your device, you select which one to connect to. 

Go to 192.168.1.1, scroll down to WiFi networks. Login. Manage WiFi networks. Switch from combined to separate. Separate does two separate networks for 2.4 and 5. Then when you connect on your device, you select which one to connect to. 

Sorry, left out a number 192.168.12.1

Badge

I separated the 2.4 and 5 networks from day one using TM’s tutorial and GUI 192.168.12.1. I have numerous smart switches, Wyze cameras, and Alexa echo devices all running on 2.4. Around 30 devices total. My 2.4 network is of course slower than my 5 network, but fast enough and often fails less. My problem is random download speed reductions that necessitate a trashcan reset when it decides to switch from band n41 to n71. When this happens the devices on the 5 network error message,buffer, etc while the 2.4 network devices usually hang in there. If your 2.4 and 5 network are combined (as your trashcan was delivered), separate them. I’m not buying the “max 10 devices story”.

I separated the 2.4 and 5 networks from day one using TM’s tutorial and GUI 192.168.12.1. I have numerous smart switches, Wyze cameras, and Alexa echo devices all running on 2.4. Around 30 devices total. My 2.4 network is of course slower than my 5 network, but fast enough and often fails less. My problem is random download speed reductions that necessitate a trashcan reset when it decides to switch from band n41 to n71. When this happens the devices on the 5 network error message,buffer, etc while the 2.4 network devices usually hang in there. If your 2.4 and 5 network are combined (as your trashcan was delivered), separate them. I’m not buying the “max 10 devices story”.

I’m not sure if mine has switched from n41 to n71, but I have had zero connection issues/resets since separating so I really think that’s the best solution. I have 10 cameras, tv, Roku, and a satellite receiver all on 2.4 and my laptop and 2 cell phones on 5. Now if I could just figure out how to get Hulu live tv to work on t mobile, I’d be set. 

Hi. I called hulu and they asked for my ? IP address that you get from IP chicken? site and that fixed it. Even after reboots it seems to be holding. Hulu only permits one home location be used unless on a mobile device so tech was able to allow traffic from the router(even though the router gives out a different home location then my actual home location). By the way Tmobile has upfront indicated that this could be a problem with July. Interestingly this is not a problem with YouTube TV etc so July must handle location Info differently.