Solved

2.4g devices not connecting to T-Mobile Home Network

Userlevel 2
Badge

Recently I set-up a T-Mobile 5G Home Internet and am discovering that not all my devices can connect. My Shark IQ Robot vacuum is one device that will not connect to 5G, it says it can only connect to 2.4G. Does anyone have an idea how I can get this to work?

icon

Best answer by Katiejo123 20 July 2022, 03:55

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Recently I set-up a T-Mobile 5G Home Internet and am discovering that not all my devices can connect. My Shark IQ Robot vacuum is one device that will not connect to 5G, it says it can only connect to 2.4G. Does anyone have an idea how I can get this to work?

You don’t mention which gateway you have, so in brief you can try to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks for non-WiFi6 connectivity.

Did you setup your wireless access points? Either by direct PC connection or the App.

How many devices can you hook up to T-Mobile home internet

How many devices can you hook up to T-Mobile home internet

Im not sure exactly what you're asking but all of them?

I would imagine that if you break 100 it might bog down. There is a 128 device limit in the settings I'm pretty sure.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m sure I’m not explaining this well, I’ve tried to set up a second network but the app doesn’t have that option. How would I set up a second 2.4Ghz network?

NanaNise, I understand your issue perfectly as I am having the same one. I have a Wi-Fi enabled split unit (A/C) and cannot connect to my network. The network shows up on my cell phone as 5G and my A/C unit says it cannot find the 2.4G network. T-Mobile just replaced my cellular gateway with an upgrade as the last one stopped working altogether. It was also 5G but my A/C unit connected to it with no problem. I cannot find T-Mobile documentation anywhere that explains how to make the gateway broadcast 2.4G. I’m following this thread and hoping we both get the answer we need. A phone call to T-Mobile Support had me on hold for over 2 hours. I won’t go that route again. Best of luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Both Nokia (cylinder) and Arcadyn (cube) default to 5 and 2.4G sharing the same SSID. You can log into the web interface 192.168.12.1 and select separate SSID for each and that will allow you to use different SSIDs and passphrase. After you do that, if your 2.4G device requires an app from your phone or laptop to setup wifi, then you have to make sure your phone/laptop is on the same 2.4G wifi. Once setup is completed, you can set your phone/laptop back to 5G.

Cali Cat, how do you log into the web interface to separate the SSID?  I have the Nokia gateway and am try to access the 2.4 GHz network for my Eufy robovac.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

how do you log into the web interface to separate the SSID?  I have the Nokia gateway ...

Nokia manual, page 12 & 14.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Cali Cat, how do you log into the web interface to separate the SSID?  I have the Nokia gateway and am try to access the 2.4 GHz network for my Eufy robovac.

You can use the mobile app or use the web interface by opening a browser to 192.168.12.1

You will need to log in as the admin to access the wifi features. Just remember once you change the SSID you will temporarily be disconnected and will need to reconnect to your new SSID.

If you want step by step, just call TMO home internet support. This is something that all reps know how to do.

Yall are making this WAY harder than it has to be.

1. Open the T-mobile Internet app

2. Go to the Network tab at the bottom

3. Click on the "+" sign to add a network

4. Add in the information for a 2nd network and change the frequency band to 2.4 GHz.

Done. Easy. Now you have 2 networks and 1 is 2.4 only. I had to figure this out myself as this thread was trash. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I had to figure this out myself as this thread was trash

Just realize that the option to add a network through the app was only recently available,  not 2 months ago.

This needs to be documented by T-mobile.  I have the same issue with some devices that accept 2.4G only.  Went through and created a second SSID (see Katiejo123 above). 

Went to 192.168.12.1 as mentioned by Cat Call but there is no sign-in link and cannot do anything.

According to sources 2.4G works best on channels 1, 6 and 11.  T-mobile assigned the new SSID to channel 4.

The issue of connecting 2.4G devices needs to be resolved.  If I attache a separate router that has 5G and 2.4G, to the device I can then connect my 2.4G devices.  BUT this should not be the case.

The 2.4 devices are older and the WPA of the network needs to be changed to WPA/WPA2. Making this change to my 2.4 network let it connect to my Shark robot. 

I just wanted to echo what @Feahp00 said — choosing 2.4Ghz alone may not be enough to connect to older devices. I also needed to choose WPA/WPA2 for the password settings in order to connect the devices to the new 2.4Ghz network. 

Thanks Andrewborstein,

That worked for me also.  

The above, unfortunately, did not work for my shark vacmop. Do you have your robot vacuum close to the router? Mine is probably 10 feet away and through a wall. I didn’t know if I should try moving my vacuum closer or not. I really don’t want the hassle.

Mine is about 10feet around a corner.  Working from my phone app.  Did you do the WPA/WPA2 setting?  That’s the key.  Try also rebooting your phone.

I created a 2.4 settings network like the screenshot above and reset modem and phone afterwards. Do I need to change the original settings from 5 and 2.4 automatic to 5 only? I didn’t want to change the original settings unless this was necessary. I also have the Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway if that makes a difference or not.

I Just got a 5G gateway (black tower model FAST 5688W), my eufy cams are not connecting to the 2.4ghz, but other devices can connect well (printers, tablets, tv, etc). I have tried with the default 5ghz/2.4ghz, also with single 2.4ghz and any combination of WPA/WPA2/WPA3 with no success. I also deleted all devices from my app and deleted cache in the cell phone. Does anybody know if eufy is not compatible with this type of gateway?

I’m using my eufy cams without issue in my Cox 2.4ghz network gateway.

Julio R.

I am trying to setup a 2.4ghz for some of my devices but even after doing everything mentioned above concerning the FAST5688w

i can not create a separate network. I enter all the info and it will not let me add or save. Can someone please help. I live in a box type house and any device will be away from the gateway

PIece of CRAP should automatically have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz turned on. This is just BAD DESIGN AND EXECUTION!🤬

Thanks for this thread, annoying as it is! 

I have been trying to get my Sonos One speaker set up for weeks, nay months. Another two hours on support today…. Got it all set up, but my new 2.4 network appears to be hidden, even though I never checked the box. I even changed it to WPA and WPA2 only (at separate times) which may be an issue for some of you out there. Still no luck for me though. The TMobile app says it’s not hidden but Apple won’t let me unhindered it?

Ideas? 

Also, a tip for others if possible change your set up device if possible. I got further along with my iPad than I did with my iPhone…..

Thanks and good luck out there on the Ethernet!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I always recommend leaving the default network alone and using it when possible.  (You can change the SSID and password.) The default network automatically selects either 2.4 or 5 GHz for the connected devices, and uses the highest current level of security WPA2/WPA3.

Some devices, particularly older ones, work best on a dedicated 2.4 GHz network with WPA/WPA2 security.  Because the security is not as good as possible, this should only be used for devices which just won’t connect to the default network.

You could have a dedicated 5 GHz network for some devices, though in my opinion it isn’t necessary.  

Re. Sonos -- I was able to get my Sonos speakers to connect to the default network.  It was stubborn but I can’t remember exactly what I did.   I recall searching Sonos support and forums but not finding much help.  I do think it was just persistence.   My speakers are probably older than yours - they are Play:1 and Play:3.  It is easier if you can temporarily move the speakers to be closer to the gateway.  If you changed the band or security on the default network, I suggest resetting the gateway to restore the original configuration.  Add a second 2.4 GHz network for devices that won’t connect.

I just wanted to echo what @Feahp00 said — choosing 2.4Ghz alone may not be enough to connect to older devices. I also needed to choose WPA/WPA2 for the password settings in order to connect the devices to the new 2.4Ghz network. 

I am so grateful to you and @Katiejo123 ! I have been so annoyed with this for months. I was looking to buy a new vacuum because it seemed stupid to have one that I can’t control with my app or Alexa as intended! Thank you!!!