Question

2 Internet losses in less than 24 hours

Badge

ARC KVD21

Firmware version

UI version

v1.7.0

Got Arc KVD21 yesterday afternoon, got it up and running. Consistent 3 bars and decent speeds. Works well for works and no complaints except…. rose up this morning with no internet access, had to restart router via mobile app and then again around 3:19 PM this afternoon, internet dropped and had to restart. 

Anyone else having this issue. 

I recall not being able to update the FW via the setup. I don’t however see a way to for us to update or request an update. Looks like to have to visit the Wizard of Toz and ask them.

Any case  how can I make sure my FW is up to date?  

12 replies

I have not been able to connect to 5G for over a week now. My gateway keeps switching from band 66 to band 2 and sometimes no band at all. Called support every day and was told every day that I would get a call back. Never happened! Today I asked for a supervisor and was told they were in a meeting, and I woul get a call back as soon as meeting was over. Never happened!!!

I am just about ready to cancell and go back to Cox

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Here’s the T-mobile Home Internet Gateway firmware web page:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/firmware-updates--t-mobile-home-internet

It says the latest is 1.00.16, but also states the shipping version is 1.00.14. So it’s odd that you only have 1.00.12.

You should receive the update in the next few days, I imagine, assuming the gateway stays connected overnight (between 1-3am). If not, or if you want it done sooner, you’ll have to call tech support and request it.

Badge

Ahh, maybe it tried yesterday and failed. I will be off between 1-3am. Let’s see if it updates. Thanks for the feedback

H

Badge

Good and bad news. Good first. FW did get upgraded to 1.00.16 overnight. So the T-Mobile fairies are active. LOL. Device seems to be working well. No freezes so far. Fingers crossed. Bad news. Phone Support sucks to high heaven. Wait …. frustrating. And no consistency. Interacted with a different tech on different calls and got blown off like 1.00.12 is the latest for the ARC modem, to updates may take 7 to 10 days. To I have upgraded you modem just power cycle it. 

Any case, if service is like what it is and I do not have to interact with support I will keep it !!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Good and bad news. Good first. FW did get upgraded to 1.00.16 overnight. So the T-Mobile fairies are active. LOL. Device seems to be working well. No freezes so far. Fingers crossed. Bad news. Phone Support sucks to high heaven. Wait …. frustrating. And no consistency. Interacted with a different tech on different calls and got blown off like 1.00.12 is the latest for the ARC modem, to updates may take 7 to 10 days. To I have upgraded you modem just power cycle it. 

Any case, if service is like what it is and I do not have to interact with support I will keep it !!!

Unfortunately your experience is the norm. TMO support has a ways to go before they even get to cell phone level of support (which is so-so). This is probably why they have the firmware locked down the minimum features.

If you come across issues with your gateway and networking inside your home, you will get better support on this community from other home internet customers and their personal experiences. The only thing TMO can consistently help you with is confirming whether your local tower is having any issues.

Badge

Well, could not take it anymore so cancelled today before my trial. CSR begged to extend trial by a week, but honestly with the threes CSRs I had to tackle to get my FW version upgraded I could not trust anyone this close to the trial end. People on support are so badly trained that I was afraid the promise would be just verbal. Any case awesome service for rural US. Just not reliable enough for video calls for work in Urban US. I did get 365MB !!!! Yay, but also have that sometimes and YouTube TV and Netflix buffered a lot, something I don’t see with the cable internet. 

Maybe if support like you said comes up to cell phone levels I will revisit this. Its cool that we have a competitor. 

Goodbye ya’ll 

Badge

Wow I’ve had nothing but excellent customer service in the month plus with TMHI. No wait, very friendly and helpful. Offered to contact me again the next day to see if there was any improvement (have had slow download issues) and they did. I’ve also used the FB Messenger approach and again they were very responsive and have proactively contacted me as they promised. 

interesting how there’s so much difference.

Badge

Well totally different experience. So glad things are good for you. What region of the US are you, specifics not needed. Its possible TM has divided and concurred some like your neck of the woods while kept ours to be handled by cheaper overseas labor. It’s all okay. Impatient consumers like me will just wait. Best to drop like flies so that TN cam wake up. Limping with bad service does not help either TM or the consumers.

Badge

If TM is looking at comments here, some honest feedback

1. Train, train, train. Its like garlic you cannot get too much of it
  2. SMA connectors on the ARC devices would help the more technical to bolt on antennas. Honestly 5G is signal, signal and signal.
  3. Try to keep us call centers. Being asked if I would have a friend, family or business acquaintance that would like TM Home Internet when I call in to cancel, :) , is so alien to the culture we have in the US. In the US we would never off anything to a pal if it was bad. Overseas, probably.    

I know TM has a foreign layer and there is nothing wrong in overseas support to keep costs down. But let’s not make the same mistake VolksWagen made on the Diesel.  I think we all are a tad bit smarter. 

It could be the luck of the draw, but I got excellent customer service this week. Knowledgeable rep who solved the problem quickly. I usually avoid phone support, not because of the location of the representatives, but I’d rather drive a chopstick in my ear than have to listen to distorted Montovanni music on the phone for an hour as seems to be the case with a lot of companies today. This experience was exceptional. I also appreciate the fact that T-Mobile doesn’t play the “make believe” pricing game.

Badge

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see positives. Yes TM has an awesome infrastructure. Just, in my case, lousy gear and support. Like all new deployments, shoring up is the key. Will watch the community and revisit.

Badge

As expected got my Urgent Your bill is past due email after I send my device back and get an acceptance email and also an email that my payment method was turned off. Shoddy back office or poor training more than likely.

Any case called to samo CS line, and got standard “we are so sorry blah”

Tmo. Please get your shop in perfect shape before you deploy a service in the US. My whole experience was shoddy and still remains shoddy