Question

4g vs 5g with Home Internet

• 5 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Questions regarding Home Internet Gateway…

1.  How can I tell if the gateway is connected to a 4g or 5g signal?
  2. Is there a way to restrict the gateway to use only 4g?

Like many others, I have problems with random disconnects.  5g service is inconsistent in my area, and I wonder if that contributes to the disconnects.  To test that theory, I would like to limit the gateway to 4g only.

7 replies

http://192.168.12.1/TMI/v1/gateway?get=signal

That link will show you the band and signal strength of 4g and 5g. You should be connected to both. 

Badge

Hmm… for me, that link produces the dreaded 404 Not Found error.

This link is for the new black gateway. If you have the gray trashcan, it won't be of any use. 

Badge

Thanks for clearing that up. 
So there’s a newer gateway than the gray one?  Does it help to address the disconnect issues?  If so, will T-Mobile send one out if requested?

Thanks…

I just signed up recently. They sent the black one. You can always call tech support. They might hook you up.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So the Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway, is that a big difference from the gray one (Nokia) ??  I have similar problems

There are videos on YouTube that compare the two. What really matters is the type of bands and signal strength you can receive at your location. I have 4 out of 5 bars. My 5g is on band n41 with -90 rsrp and signal to noise above 20. I get 400meg+ down and 30meg+ up