Question

5G gateway does not work with TP-Link SG-105(un) switch - speeds reduced by about 85%

• 30 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Does anyone know if there is a fix? From the gateway to my laptop, via cat 6 full speed. From the gateway to the switch to my laptop about 85% reduction. Ive tried swapping out cables, nothing makes a difference. They really need a better GUI for this gateway. Any help appreciated.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From what I can see the 5/8 port versions of the switch only have one LED indicator on the RJ-45 ports so you can’t tell for sure if it is operating at 10/100 or 1000 Mbps. With a CAT6 cable it should be good to go and the improvements with CAT6 vs CAT5e should not make that much difference. In your testing did you use more than one port on the switch for throughput testing? Maybe try different ports on the switch. Look closely at each RJ45 port and make sure the contacts are clean and in the proper orientation. If you have a second client other than the laptop you have run a throughput test between two clients to see if results are consistent or the degradation of the speed is only seen with the gateway. You don’t state which T-Mobile gateway you have. Is it the Nokia or the Arcadyan gateway? I have two different switches connected to my Nokia gateway and I have never had any significant issue. Mine are not TP-Link and mine are managed switches. If you have the Arcadyan gateway maybe you can see statistics for the ports in the mobile application. The Nokia provides statistics so it is much simpler to see if you have packet loss/damage due to TX or RX. You might load Wireshark and take a packet capture on the Ethernet port of the laptop and look for retransmissions. If there is TX or RX packet loss due to frame damage TCP retransmits would be apparent. 

Testing with two clients across the switch say with network analyzer could be helpful. It consists of a Packet Generator and a Packet Receiver/analyzer. You could get it via SourceForge.net

Badge

ANYONE???

Badge

Thanks. I tried every port. Nothing mattered. Tried multiple cables, no difference. The gateway is the  Sagemcom Fast 5688W. This gateway has a really limited, non user, interface. Amazon gave me a credit on the TP Link switches. Im going to try netgear.. maybe its the gateway.. I dont know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Interesting. The Sagemcom Fast 5688W. Now that is a new one it appears. Given the WEB GUI is only very simple and very limited you might try the mobile application for management. I would not put odds on that having much more or being real fun to use but it is probably the only way to do more admin tasks with the gateway. I expect it will be very similar to the Arcadyan for experience. 

Go check out Nater Tater’s YouTube video and get the low down on this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So the take away from the YouTube video by Nate is that the “new” Sagemcom Fast 5688W is pretty much on the level with the prior two and akin to the Arcadyan gateway for management. Nothing really changes as T-Mobile intends that this is equivalent to the Arcadyan gateway not an upgrade. Management is via the T-Mobile home internet mobile application. The WEB UI interface is even less capable than the Arcadyan gateway so mobile application is a must have. If you want advanced features you will not find it here. If you want to add more feature functionality then you really need a nice tri-band wireless router solution to connect to the T-Mobile gateway. If you need more extended coverage  adding a reliable mesh solution would be the ticket. There is one additional 5G cellular band it supports but that does not currently matter as T-Mobile is not using the n77.