Solved

5G Home Internet Continues to disconnect

• 1 October 2021
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have had this device just a few days and I must reboot it about three times a day as the WIFI will fail and knock out ethernet as well. Sometime I have to reboot it twice in a row. 

When can I expect a hotfix for this issue?

I cannot afford to work like this and I will have to drop service is not fix ASAP.

I will like to also request credit on my bill until the issue is 100% resolved. 

I see several topics for the exact same issue I am having and it need to be fixed across the board!!!

icon

Best answer by tomwil 1 October 2021, 02:49

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I have had this device just a few days and I must reboot it about three times a day as the WIFI will fail and knock out ethernet as well. Sometime I have to reboot it twice in a row.

Could be an overheating problem.  Same symptoms and possible solution found in the following thread:

I have had T-Mobile home internet for about week.  I experienced a total loss of signal to all connected devices several times a day once the unit heated up.  This started on the very first day.  I googled the issued and even though there are skeptics about the heat issue.  I bought two 120mm fans one to blow air up from the bottom and one to set on top to pull air through.  This keeps my unit cool and I have not lost internet to any of my devices since.  It has been four days now and still going strong.  This appears to have solved my problem.  Good luck for everyone else.  I just though I would share.

Userlevel 1

I found the the T-Mobile home internet gateway does seem to work better with a fan.  I was able to find a fairly quiet fan with a temperature sensor.  

This had made the unit much more stable.  I still have to reset it occasionally, but not multiple times a day.   I think T-Mobile should work with Nokia to provide a optional fan attachment.   

Userlevel 1

If it will keep this way, I’ll return the modem and thanks to T-mobile on bad service.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If it will keep this way, I’ll return the modem and thanks to T-mobile on bad service.

You don't say whats you issue?

Userlevel 1

As people say: disconnect very often, maybe because of the modem unit heated up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

As people say: disconnect very often, maybe because of the modem unit heated up.

If you are having disconnect issues sure could be heat of signal only way to know is for you to post you signal readings.

Userlevel 1

Signal bar its always 3 of 5. 

I am not supposed to find the reason why disconnected,  hot or cold or dry, I should get WIFI signal.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I am not supposed to find the reason why disconnected,  hot or cold or dry, I should get WIFI signal.

Bars mean nothing what matters is the signal quality.

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

But I suspect based on your comments you don't really want help.

“ am not supposed to find the reason why disconnected” 

This is not really a take out of box plug in and put it anywhere and it works for everyone. Example does your cell phone work the same in every spot/everywhere? No it does not some spots are better some are worse some are terrible. So like any radio device you have to find a good spot. I may take you some work to find the right spot if that’s not your game maybe this is not for you. I am just trying to help you so you can find a good spot and then you get good speeds. I now get at least 650 down most of the time 150 up I pay 1/3 of the price I paid Comcast I also have not data cap. As I said in another post last month I did some moving of pictures to cloud storage used over 2TB of data if I was with Comcast that would have put me over my data cap and cost me an additional $200. So for me it was worth investing some time to find out what I needed to know to get it working well.

But yes this is not like say cable that has yes a cable so it works (well most of the time with Comcast)  it uses a wireless signal and you have to find a good spot to receive that signal.

Again think of it like your cell phone it does not work perfect in every single spot everywhere.

I am just trying to help you out if that’s what you are interested in.

Because no one is going to come to your home from tech support and help you find a good spot for signal. So yes you are supposed to do that yourself.

There is always the option to go back to what you had if this is to much trouble for you.

Userlevel 1

I am really appreciate your response, Thanks!

I tried any spot in the house, included second floor, attic, same signal.

I don’t use for my phone, computers only. 

leave the speed, explain the “disconnecting” please. why happen few times a day? 

last: Why  ignorant like me and a lot of old people need to understand RSRP, SNR. RSRQ, RSSI? 

We just need wi-fi, internet, 

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I am really appreciate your response, Thanks!

I tried any spot in the house, included second floor, attic, same signal.

I don’t use for my phone, computers only. 

leave the speed, explain the “disconnecting” please. why happen few times a day? 

last: Why  ignorant like me and a lot of old people need to understand RSRP, SNR. RSRQ, RSSI? 

We just need wi-fi, internet, 

Thanks

So if the signal quality is low it’s going to drop in and out fast and slow even disconnect maybe reconnect with or without reboot.

If you get me some of those numbers and the bands can give you an idea of what you can and cannot do to help things.

I know you want the wifi but all that depends on that cell signal getting to that gateway.

Badge

is my gateway too cold?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It’s winter here in MN. I’m going to put my stupid gateway out in the 0 temps. Then it can’t be overheating. I have to restart it all the time. 3 times today. 34 times in 60 days. Yep, I’m keeping track of this. Don’t waste your time calling T-Mobile. They’ll want you to restart the gateway. Duh, I’ve done that three times today!!! Fix this T-Mobile. Get a gateway that works and send these bad Nokia things to the dump where they belong.

Badge

We received ours yesterday and color me unimpressed so far. The best I have been able to manage so far is around 30Mbps download and 20 upload which is half of what I’m getting on my existing service. I am supposedly in an ultra capacity full coverage area, I’m literally in the middle of three different towers (one is less than a block away) and there are seven more within a few miles. I played around with a signal/tower finder last night, etc. and nothing improved. I even took the pod (trash can or whatever people are calling) it outside and it wasn’t any better. 

I appreciate what some of the people said further up in the thread, but we’re not all techy people and like the one person said, we just want internet. I even went back through Tmobile’s home internet page and there is nothing that I can find (stressed - maybe it’s on there and I didn’t see it) that says this is only for people out in the boonies or that you need to troubleshoot these things yourself. There is nothing that indicates that I need to go out on my own to buy fans or anything else to help keep it cool (or whatever) and if it’s a heating issue, clearly that’s a design fault on Tmobile’s part that needs to be fixed.

Their site clearly says that they are offering high speed 5g internet “without the wires”. To their credit, it did only take me 10 minutes to set up and I was able to connect devices, it’s just the speed that is ridiculous. 

Yep, no matter where I moved it the same freezing screens and downloads.  I figured the box was bad so got a replacement, the TMobile 431D-and it’s worse.  I’ve moved it all around the house and think buying a small fan for it should be something T-Mobile would already be all over (considering the complaints).

Having the same disconnecting problems. We’ve had the service about a month and it started out top of the line amazing but quickly turned into being disconnected multiple times a day. We’ve had to restart the unit up to 7 times in one day. Sometimes it fixes itself when we aren’t home but during that time our home security doesn’t transmit which is very frustrating. I’ll give the fan a shot, I’ll order a small one to set next to it. That seems ridiculous to me and something tmobile needs to issue a fix for but if it works..I guess I’ll do it myself. Don’t want to go back to standard internet service but this issue is a major downer for sure. Hopefully the fan fixes it because I get great service and speeds when connected!

I called support and told the agent what was happening. He said there was a problem with the antena I was connecting to and that they had trouble accesing it (lie #1) but that now they had someone working on it. I asked when did they starting having problems with it, he said since about a month ago (lie #2). So you are telling me it took you 1 (ONE) month to get to your antenna or you didn't care about the service you were providing for 1 month from that antenna?  I am dropping T-Mobile and just for that I am also leaving with my cell phone accounts.