Question

5G home internet keeps dropping

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m having a problem with T-Mobile 5g home internet that has not been resolved despite many calls in to the help line.  I’ve had T-Mobile 5g home internet for almost a month now, and the short version is that every so often the gateway drops the network.  When I say “drop the network,” I mean to say it throws everything off of the Wifi that it’s broadcasting, and anything plugged in via ethernet says “no network found.  (To elaborate this point, cell phones switch to cellular data because wifi is gone for them, and computers hardwired into the gateway think that they are no longer plugged into anything.)  Turning off the gateway and turning it back on resolves the issue, but doesn’t prevent it from happening again.  Whatever is happening doesn’t seem to affect our connection speed/strength when the gateway IS providing signal to devices in the home, but due to the nature of our work, we need a connection that won’t just disconnect randomly.  

To address this, T-mobile has so far run a bunch of tests on their end, and seem to have ruled out a tower issue (which makes sense, as the tower shouldn’t have anything to do with whether or not the devices on the gateway’s wifi or ethernet connection get thrown off of the network.)  They’ve sent me a replacement gateway, which is experiencing the exact same problem (3 times in the last 36 hours, in fact).   I’ve noticed that the device gets pretty warm, so I set up a computer case fan as a cooler to force air through the device, thinking that perhaps it’s an issue with the device overheating.  However, while the gateway is notably cooler than it was without the fan, it has not prevented the issue from persisting.  The last thing that I can think to do (and my most recent attempt at resolving this issue) is to plug a router into the gateway via ethernet, and allow the router to handle the wifi/connections w/ devices in the house, and to disable wifi from the gateway all together.  Maybe the gateway is simply too overburdened with connections and gets somehow overwhelmed and shuts down, and having the router handle the “heavy lifting” of taking care of all of the individual device connections will resolve it?  I don’t have a great deal of faith that this will fix the issue (as the gateway also kicks ethernet things off of the network when it experiences this problem), but I’m running out of options/ideas of what to do in order to just get a stable, constant internet service.   

Is anybody else having this issue, has anybody resolved this issue, or does anybody have any advice or feedback regarding how I might get this resolved so that I can get back to having stable internet?

264 replies

I have the grey round gateway. It was first installed in August 2021, required a reboot at firt every other week, then every 10 days or so, then daily. Some people on this thread wonder if it has anything to do with towers, cell signals, and what-not. It doesn’t. I’m sure you can see it on your phone when the gateway drops the internet, your phone can browse just fine. They replaced my gateway, sent the same type - grey and round. And of course referbished. They never send anything new if it is a replacement. The support for the TMo internet is in the Phillipines and they are pretty much useless on top of being very difficult to work with them.

As many others mentioned, it is not possible to look at the actual network settings of the gateway as there is no user interface on the gateway to do that. The only way to solve the connection issue is to power cycle the gateway.

My gateway is sitting on a constantly running fan to prevent the gateway from overheating. It helps to keep the temperature down but does not solve the disconnect problem. Both WiFi frequencies are disabled to keep the temperature down. My router is my WiFi access point. When I connect to the gateway, either from my computer (→ ASUS router → ethernet cable to the gateway) or from my phone using the app, it shows the connection is good, no red Xes, as if everything should be working. It isn’t. I may have to purchase the Keep Connect box. It’s crazy that TMo will force users to spend money on a gadget to reboot their device instead of exposing those settings in the gateway itself. Stupid, all I can say. Let us manage our network devices. Those who don’t want/care/know how to do it, will not mess with it. But others can look at those settings, at a minimum be able to schedule reboots and check the simple DHCP, DNS, IP settings.

It’s a good idea but a totally crappy implementation. Fix it or people will be dumping your internet gateways. It’s extremely unreliable.

Userlevel 1

I did get a new one maybe it’s because I’ve Traveled  to the Philippines and partied there ha . I know everyone wants to use their nighthawk which I paid $300 for and now it’s just sitting on a shelf unplugged  -  try using just the modem router from T-Mobile if possible  - I had no luck until I unplugged all the WiFi apparatuses which is probably not cool but it did work

On my ninth day without rebooting this go round 18 days prior.

While it may be an acceptable “solution” for some, it is not acceptable to me. No devices are allowed in the DMZ on my network. It works this way with every other internet provider (not that we have a multitude of choices but to name just a couple: Comcast, Frontier) and it has to work that way with TMo. It will not be the case for a while. They are behind the curve and the internet is something new for them. The phones work fine on their network. They just have to figure out the internet gateways. I’ll wait for Frontier to lay their fiber down in our neighborhood and then switch and TMo will not have it fixed by then. Pity, I really like the idea of a 5G gateway.

After reading all these complaints, I rather not waste my time troubleshooting and just go back to Comcast. Soo annoyed with the daily issues. 

I’ve notice that at least 1-2 times a week, my wifi shuts down at the same time every time. Not only that, even though my device says the WiFi is excellent

which by the way, what ticks me off even more was after they asked me how I was enjoying their service and I told them I was happy with it and had no problems, THATS when everything went downhill. Literally within 8 hours of them asking me. And has not stopped since. 

As many of you in the community has stated, T-mobile’s 5G wifi is well stocked with issues. I am not new to networking protocol and setup opportunities, so I expected some challenges with this service. Yes, I have experienced multiple dropped broadcast from the router, issues with 5Ghz and 2,4Ghz selection, etc. The main thing that is really driving me crazy with this is everytime the system fails, I have to completely reset all my devices to be recognized on the wifi. Once or twice I don’t mind doing, but in the 48 hours that I have had this service I have spent more time with wifi connectivity management than I have with “enjoying” the service. The carrot of 5Ghz for $50 sounded too good to be true, and so far it has only disappointed. Don’t think I can kick xfinity to the curb yet.

Very disappointed.

Been having issues with my device too very much like which has been stated here..

I have the Nokia (trash can) looking device, even with all of the WiFi channels turned off and a 3D printed 3rd party fan (which is keeping the device way cooler than it has ever been as if it’s still off.. the device randomly decides to re-set itself.

I’ve been through the loops of going through Tech support via calls and Twitter, got a replacement device and SIM card, but still the same issues continues.

It is truly the WORST!!

It’s a shame Tmobile has fallen into the trap as all the other cell providers, gain a huge market share and stop helping customers. 

I have a Nokia trash can modem and had issues on day one, wouldn't connect to 5g, was sent another modem and it worked for maybe 8 or 9 months and i was very happy with it until 2 weeks ago. It too started dropping 5g that could be reconnected with a modem reboot last week that option failed and after several calls to a “Expert” they agreed to send me a new router.  I got that 3 days ago and it too can't connect to 5g, here it is 3 days later , several wasted hours on the phone with a “Expert” asking me if the modem is near a window, does it have a singal bar in the display etc etc.  I am amazed that when I asked to speak to a next level tech I was informed that was not a option.   I called corporate office to ask for a tech number that wasn't a phone bank of scripted people and was patched to another department who once answered sent me back to the home internet helpline and he has very limited knowledge of it. 

As I write this am on hold at 27 minutes to talk with someone.

Maybe tmobile uses text searches so if so Abdul Saad start training your people. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

… it worked for maybe 8 or 9 months and i was very happy with it until 2 weeks ago. It too started dropping 5g that could be reconnected with a modem reboot last week that option failed ...

Same thing with me.  Always fanned and worked reliably for 9 months, then for whatever reason, the Nokia gateway decided to switch from reliable n41 5G band, to n71.  Horrible after that, with slower speeds and constant drop outs.

Rebooting and restarting (NOT resetting) the gateway did nothing.  Still stayed on n71.  As a last resort, I removed the Nokia battery, and cold-started it.  It chose n41 once again, and has been stable for over 2 weeks now.

Maybe the battery keeps the band configuration, and by removing it, forces the gateway to start from scratch with band choice.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same issue. My Apple TV will flash a No Network Connected message and my Roku streaming stick will flip back to the no-signal screensaver image. 

These usually last either a few seconds or maybe as much as 30 seconds.

I don’t lose cellular service on my iPhone. I presume the buffering capacity in the streaming devices makes the interruption appear a brief interval after it actually occurs,

Right now it’s not worth ditching T-Mobile’s price, free Netflix, airline wifi, etc.

I used to think it was throttling or congestion then I unplugged it put the device near my ac unit to cool it down completely. After restarting device which felt too warm for comfort beforehand . A very noticable improvement occurred. Also placing by window was not the best spot for me actually room Center gave me 5 bars I was getting ready to return and give up. I imagine that unit's have an internal struggle for possibly maintaining signal , packet info size or 4k compatibility causing heating issues , And eventhough I provided the unit with a heating fan. In the end seems to be working better by having it get a Total cool down when issues arise. Good luck T- Mobilers

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used to think it was throttling or congestion then I unplugged it put the device near my ac unit to cool it down completely. After restarting device which felt too warm for comfort beforehand . A very noticable improvement occurred. Also placing by window was not the best spot for me actually room Center gave me 5 bars I was getting ready to return and give up. I imagine that unit's have an internal struggle for possibly maintaining signal , packet info size or 4k compatibility causing heating issues , And eventhough I provided the unit with a heating fan. In the end seems to be working better by having it get a Total cool down when issues arise. Good luck T- Mobilers

Interesting thought.  I have an infrared thermometer near my gateway. Right now it measures 123°F internally under the top grid and about 110° on the metal rim of the top.  I’ll check it later with both TVs on and see.

I tried walking my unit all over the house and didn’t see any difference in bar whether upstairs, downstairs, or on the N/S/E/W side of the house.

Let it cool down totally 

I have had the newest 5g modem for a couple months.  Tmobile has already sent a replacement due to this issue.  I get great speeds all the time, over 300mbps.  But at least once a day,  always around 10am,  it looses internet for about 6 minutes.   Sometimes it does it multiple times a day.    As I said,  I’m on my second one in just a few months and still the same issue.   I’m wondering if it may be a firmware issue.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

I believe the problem is indeed prioritization. Cellphone traffic is prioritized over internet traffic as i understand it.

A couple days ago, my 5G internet slowed to 10.4 down/6 up. At that same moment, my 5G iPhone registered 389/12.3.

It’s not my WiFi as I’ve registered over 500 down  in the mornings.

Last night, my streaming 24in kitchen TV had constant buffering and dropping to very low resolution. My  phone on wifi was around 10 down but on cellular over 200 down.  

I believe the problem is indeed prioritization. Cellphone traffic is prioritized over internet traffic as i understand it.

A couple days ago, my 5G internet slowed to 10.4 down/6 up. At that same moment, my 5G iPhone registered 389/12.3.

Last night, my streaming 24in kitchen TV had constant buffering and dropping to very low resolution. My  phone on wifi was around 10 down but on cellular over 200 down.  

Would deprioritization cause a full on disconnect thought?   I have seen slower speeds on the home internet vs my phone's data which would certainly be due to deprioritization.   We are having issues of full on internet loss,  I wouldn't think a tower would cut a modem off completely.   

You may have some neighbor or even some equipment in your house interfering with how your computer connects viaWI-FIi. Your operating system on your computer have be corrupting NETWORK drivers used for communications or an installed app may be interfering with the computers built in Wi-Fi card. Again it may be a bad t-mobile device too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You may have some neighbor or even some equipment in your house interfering with how your computer connects viaWI-FIi. Your operating system on your computer have be corrupting NETWORK drivers used for communications or an installed app may be interfering with the computers built in Wi-Fi card. Again it may be a bad t-mobile device too.

I’ve looked at all the neighborhood WiFi signals that I can see with Inssider app. I’ve moved my signal to the most open channels I can find.

With my computer off Wifi right now, my iPhone shows over 500Mbps down on cellular data and 51Mbps down connected to my Wifi. That tells me either some other nearby device is harming my wifi signal. But more likely, I am competing with a lot more internet traffic in the evening as other T-mobile 5G internet customers fire up their 4K big screen TV or sit down for some intense gaming, etc.

Or someone’s mining Bitcoin nearby 😂

Userlevel 1
Badge

Would deprioritization cause a full on disconnect thought?   I have seen slower speeds on the home internet vs my phone's data which would certainly be due to deprioritization.   We are having issues of full on internet loss,  I wouldn't think a tower would cut a modem off completely.   

We have that problem also. Around 6:45pm, we often get a “no network detected” message from our Apple TV device. It usually disappears in anywhere from 5 sec to 30 sec.

Add me to the list of people experiencing problems. I have only had the home gateway for a few days, but have had to reboot the device multiple times a day since getting it. Given the number of problems expressed on this thread and others, it would seem as though this gateway simply isn't ready for prime time, and I will go back to Cox for the time being.

Another data point - Drops recently started after months of constant uptime. Typically occur early in morning, between 5 & 9 AM. Very few connected devices and wired PC is generally device in use during disconnect. No fan. Approximately 1 mile from cell tower.

My guess, either capacity or interference. (If heat, reboot wouldn’t immediately cool router...)

Badge

I am having this problem as well.

Badge

I really wanted to drop xfinity. I got T-mobile in April while keeping xfinity in case. For 2 months, T-mobile was great and fast. Then about a week ago, my signal started to drop. Now it's up to almost every couple of hours. I'll give T-mobile another month to get it right. If they can't, I'll return and cancel. 

I’m chimming in here in hopes that T-Mobile will pay attention if enough of us complain.  Up until last week, I was a HUGE fan and proponent of the 5G home internet service.  I had even recommended it to several friends who also switched.  Now, I’m regretting this.  As of a week ago, my device constantly drops signal… like every 30 minutes or so.  And, as of yesterday, I’m no longer able to login to the home internet app on my iPhone.  Please fix this!  I’ve loved the 3 months I had but maybe the honeymoon is over?