Question

5g home internet - some sites won't load

• 15 August 2021
  • 49 replies

Badge

My big gray cylinder 5G Home internet has good signal and works reliably. But some percent of websites I visit simply refuse to load via the TMo 5g device, yet they work fine if I use my Verizon cellphone data, or a coaxial cable modem (which I have not canceled service on yet). I am guessing it’s either a DNS issue between my Mac and the T-Mobile cylinder (eg: settings requiring technical help or updates), or a problem in the T-Mo network that is blocking some sites. 

After spending too many hours on the phone already with Tmo tech support for 5G Home, I am not excited about the prospect of engaging on the phone again. It takes too long, and the agents need more training and support. 

Has anyone experienced and solved this issue? Do you have technical insights? Is there actual written documentation somewhere that I could access? Thank you. 

(Honestly Tmo, you need to rethink your support infrastructure for 5G Home.)

49 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I don’t have a solution--just another data point. Everything (including that URL for Judi Glove) works fine on my MacBook, on all three gateway wifi bands (2.4 and both the 5G bands). My MacBook is wifi 6 capable.  

I’m using an M1 MacBook Air, macOS Monterey 12.3, using mostly default network settings. Configure IPV4: Using DHCP. Configure IPV6: Automatically. I did add the Google DNS servers in my network configuration (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), as J-Mac did, but I always do that very first when setting up new networks, so I don’t know how it would have been with different ones.  I also have the gateway itself (192.168.12.1) in the DNS server list.

Works fine with Safari, Firefox, and Chrome browsers.

I know it doesn’t help solve the problem, but I add that info as another data point. As a retired IT guy (database, security, and network), most of the time when I faced problems connecting to only some (but not all) web sites, it was a DNS issue.

We’ve been using Tmo home wifi for a week and this just commenced with one site only so far.  I’m piling on in case someone comes up with an answer.

I’m having the same issue accessing one website I NEED to use for work from home. When I connect in my workplace, website works perfectly. I may have to switch back to my old provider because of this one site. A shame, because the service works great otherwise. 

Same issue here with Netflix, Hulu and Paramount+ on TCL Roku, iOS and MacOS. Tried via router (Airport TimeCapsule) with the same result. Spent a whole day talking to Tmo/hulu/Netflix customer support but no help.

I have yet to look into DNS settings etc as that’s beyond my comprehension for now, but I wished any of the folks I spent the whole day with would’ve only mentioned that. Extremely frustrating, but I also know that is a hardass job.

If anyone could direct me to resources re: changing DNS setting (esp on TCL TV, is that even possible?) I’d be real grateful🙇🏻‍♂️

I am having the same issues, some websites not wanting to load. My friend who has the same service is experiencing the same problems. www.figandcoite.com can ya’ll try to load this website?

We are having the same issue.  My wife is having problems working from home when connected through the 5G router.  All pages load fine when connected through the CenturyLink router, but do not load when connected through the 5G router.  Doesn't appear to be a workaround or solution yet.  Will have to cancel T-Mobile internet.  Disappointing since it is much faster than our DSL.  But if certain web pages won't load....

Does anyone from TMobile answer questions on this site? Anyway, I am having the same issue on one site. Everything worked fine for the first month and now I am having problems getting info to load on a site I need for work. It works fine when I use my Verizon  Hotspot. Since this is a work laptop I have limited capability to change things on it. Is there a simple solution to get the site to work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

T-Mobile Home Internet has blocked Consumer Cellular for me.

Doesn’t appear to be a DNS issue with my devices, because when I switch to a T-Mobile cellular connection or use the hotspot, the link works fine.

Wonder if T-Mobile is limiting access to competitors?

I started to use Tmobile home internet 15 days ago. It had been working fine until I paid my first payment. Some websites are not loading, even one of my work VPNs cannot be connected to. Nothing wrong about browser, cache, or OS. One of my friends lives few blocks away, he is having the same issue. We tracked down with other ISP’s, NTT said this: It is very interesting that forcing the return path over Telia worked. That effectively removes Sprint<>Tmobile (Telia routes through Zayo->Tmobile) and futher indicates the trouble is somewhere along that Sprint/TMobile LAX handoff. 

I guess it is a Spring<>Tmobile merge issues which they have never really resolved. It works if we re-routed a website to skip Sprint<>Tmobile router.

Tmobile Tech support team is not helping much so far. This is just pushing customers away.

Adding to the data points here… I’m having the same problem (any device or browser connected to TMobile Home Internet/5G) not rendering certain web pages. It cleared up when I used a VPN.

I just got 5G Home Internet and had same issue over ethernet, but WiFi worked fine. So i compared the IP settings of both connections on my Mac. I noticed the ethernet connection was missing the router IP in the DNS settings. Once i added that everything worked.

It’s an applied content filter from T-Mobile. You have to call and get it removed...

It’s an applied content filter from T-Mobile. You have to call and get it removed...

I have the same problem too. Some websites does not work when I use T-mob 5G but works on ATT Router.

So I ran into the same issue where even my LG smart TV would play any content even though it was connected to the internet.  Lowkeyhitech was correct that TMobile has a filter applied by default on some accounts (business ones usually) that block specific sites.  The solution is to call TMobile and have it removed, but it needs to be done with technical support because customer service won't know anything about it. 

I called T-mobile tech support and told them about the entry above that mentions the applied content filter. The tech talked to a supervisor and then told me they were not aware of any such thing existing. After much searching and reading articles I was convinced it was related to network security or encryption protocol. I attempted to update the driver for my network adapter, but it said it was up to date. However, Windows Update found 4 other updates that were available for my Windows 11 Pro system. One of them was a cumulative update for the dot NET versions. I ran the four updates and rebooted about 3 times during the installs. Then, my connection to all websites started working. If you can connect to Google, Youtube, and other popular websites, but cannot connect to others, like Walmart.com, try updating all your drivers and applying Windows updates. It worked for me. Good luck. 

Everything worked well for me for the 2 months, and now my internet is spotty and I’m having issues with chromium based browsers on my work Mac. If I use Safari web pages load just fine. If I use Chrome, Edge, or Arc (all chromium based) I get this error message:

“Your connection was interrupted.

A network change was detected.

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED”

I’ve tried changing my DNS to the free Google ones. Renewed the DHCP Lease. Restarted my computer and T-Mobile modem/router. Connected to my work VPN. Nothing has worked so far. Every once in awhile I’ll get a website to load once and then I get the error message again.

I don’t have this issue on my personal Mac.

I have the same issue on puppybear.tv I make money watching videos. it loads fine with Spectrum which I still have because when I cancel they gave me it for free for the next 2 years since the government program pays $30.

Problem just popped up for me today. A Web Site I manage won’t load. Rebooting the router fixes it but then failure ensues. I’m suspicious that some legitimate cross web-site scripting is causing the problem because I use WordPress with tons of plug ins and the problem only starts when I try to update my content. I’ll follow-up if can come to any conclusion.

Badge

I’m having the same problem. I develop Joomla websites, and the back end Administrator section of two of my websites refuses to load certain assets (CSS, Javascript, images). The issue comes and goes. It happens on every browser on every computer in our house… but outside our T-Mobile Home Internet wifi network, it loads reliably every time.

Try taking your gateway’s wifi from “auto” to 2.4 GHz only.  This resolved the same issue for me.  For reasons I won’t bore you with I was all set up from switching from the old original gateway to the new white 5G version so I could get an external antenna mounted on the roof.  I’m somewhat rural and setting my gateway outside was a game changer for BW to my address.  So upgrading to the new gateway was sort of a no brainer.  Anyway, having gone thru the issue of setting up some thermostats that don’t use 5GHz wifi a week ago when I received the new gateway, when I started having issues loading websites today, such as costco.com for example, I remembered I had reset my gateway earlier today but forgot to set to 2.4 GHz only.  I did that, and voila, costco.com and other sites started working again.  Hope this helps someone else.  On the app, go to the “network” tab, and click on the SSID, and in the “update network” sub-menu, under “advanced settings”, you have a pull down and can select between Auto, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  Select 2.4 GHz.

Disregard my last on the 2.4 GHz connection.  Soon as I sent that, my connection went sideways again.  I’m going back to my old Nokia gateway from t-mobile.  I can’t hook up an antenna, but at least I never had this issue with it.

Update. Disabling the Google Analytics and SEO plugging  on WordPress seems to have resolved my immediate problem. Root cause still undiagnosed. 

I am having the same troubles for the last 3-4 weeks when I use duda.co to develop websites.  It is very intermittent too.

I am having the same troubles for the last 3-4 weeks when I use duda.co to develop websites.  It is very intermittent too.

I had Duda Support help me and we disabled cookie tracking in the Privacy Settings of the current website I am developing.  Now it is loading like normal for that site.  Hope this helps people and T-Mobile Tech Support!