Question

5g home internet - some sites won't load

• 15 August 2021
  • 49 replies

Badge

My big gray cylinder 5G Home internet has good signal and works reliably. But some percent of websites I visit simply refuse to load via the TMo 5g device, yet they work fine if I use my Verizon cellphone data, or a coaxial cable modem (which I have not canceled service on yet). I am guessing it’s either a DNS issue between my Mac and the T-Mobile cylinder (eg: settings requiring technical help or updates), or a problem in the T-Mo network that is blocking some sites. 

After spending too many hours on the phone already with Tmo tech support for 5G Home, I am not excited about the prospect of engaging on the phone again. It takes too long, and the agents need more training and support. 

Has anyone experienced and solved this issue? Do you have technical insights? Is there actual written documentation somewhere that I could access? Thank you. 

(Honestly Tmo, you need to rethink your support infrastructure for 5G Home.)

49 replies

My big gray cylinder 5G Home internet has good signal and works reliably. But some percent of websites I visit simply refuse to load via the TMo 5g device, yet they work fine if I use my Verizon cellphone data, or a coaxial cable modem (which I have not canceled service on yet). I am guessing it’s either a DNS issue between my Mac and the T-Mobile cylinder (eg: settings requiring technical help or updates), or a problem in the T-Mo network that is blocking some sites. 

After spending too many hours on the phone already with Tmo tech support for 5G Home, I am not excited about the prospect of engaging on the phone again. It takes too long, and the agents need more training and support. 

Has anyone experienced and solved this issue? Do you have technical insights? Is there actual written documentation somewhere that I could access? Thank you. 

(Honestly Tmo, you need to rethink your support infrastructure for 5G Home.)

More likely if its 5G just like the phone, it is not you, its Tmo. They’re blocking UDP Access with 5G connections. Try a VPN and see if it works that way. I did that and the sites and access to voice programs like Discord and Skype worked fine after that. T- Mobile lies about their Data or does not give out proper information, Correct me if im wrong T Mobile ? 

Badge

Thanks! I tried this on your advice. For anyone else reading this, let me save you some time. You can’t disable IPv6 from the System Preferences control panel. You can only set it to local. So I did that, but I also googled and found this Terminal command to disable it: 

networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

And that does indeed show as “off” in the IPv6 panel of System Preferences, once you execute it. 

So thus set up, I tried again, and… no change.  :-/  

Some further data though: The site loads on my iPhone via Verizon cellular data, but NOT when the iPhone is attached via wifi to the Tmo 5g Home router. So does that point to the router, not the computer? 

I just got the Gray cylinder and neither of the MacBooks I own would see the internet although they were connected to TMo wifi.  I tried again but used a vpn and they worked like a charm.  This made me very confident the issue was DNS. I changed the DNS settings in System Preferences/Networking to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and the MacBooks worked great even without using VPN.  It was a very simple fix.  What is beyond frustrating is I spent 90 minutes on the phone with TMo support trying to fix this problem and they were absolutely clueless.  Actually, beyond clueless.  All they would do is keep having me reset the device.  I truly find it hard to believe they haven't resolved this issue for other Mac users and documented it for the support folks who have to deal with the public.  C’mon T-Mobile, you're better than this.

I am having the same troubles for the last 3-4 weeks when I use duda.co to develop websites.  It is very intermittent too.

I had Duda Support help me and we disabled cookie tracking in the Privacy Settings of the current website I am developing.  Now it is loading like normal for that site.  Hope this helps people and T-Mobile Tech Support!

I have the same issue reported above with various random websites not loading on my 5g iPhone.

Yesterday, I went to get a covid test and my iPhone would not load the website to submit my insurance info…

https://dcltesting-2.com

This would not load on multiple browsers and I had no WiFi access.

As soon as I connect to my work VPN, I was able to load this website perfectly fine. Good thing I had a VPN accessible.

Any insight into why these websites are not loading? Is this a UDP issue as mentioned above?

FYI. The website mentioned earlier in this tread does not load for me either via 5g on my iPhone…

http://judiglova.com/

You ever figure this out? Having same issues T-Mobile support isn’t much help just restarting thing, resetting. No changes. Only had this thing a week then it just starts happening in randomly. I can access google, YouTube, Facebook, but no other sites will load, WiFi or LAN devices. 

I called T-mobile tech support and told them about the entry above that mentions the applied content filter. The tech talked to a supervisor and then told me they were not aware of any such thing existing. After much searching and reading articles I was convinced it was related to network security or encryption protocol. I attempted to update the driver for my network adapter, but it said it was up to date. However, Windows Update found 4 other updates that were available for my Windows 11 Pro system. One of them was a cumulative update for the dot NET versions. I ran the four updates and rebooted about 3 times during the installs. Then, my connection to all websites started working. If you can connect to Google, Youtube, and other popular websites, but cannot connect to others, like Walmart.com, try updating all your drivers and applying Windows updates. It worked for me. Good luck. 

I also recently started having issues with this and some sites no longer load when i am connected to the T-Mobile Home Internet.

For example www.bofa.com does not load for me, but www.bankofamercia.com does.

If i switch over to my hotspot through my phone, these pages work. I tried multiple browsers and devices and all work fine through hotspot, but once connected to home internet, specific sites no longer work.

There seems to be some proxy or DNS issue which isn't loading correctly?

Also, i can ping the websites through terminal. They just fail to load in all browsers

I started to use Tmobile home internet 15 days ago. It had been working fine until I paid my first payment. Some websites are not loading, even one of my work VPNs cannot be connected to. Nothing wrong about browser, cache, or OS. One of my friends lives few blocks away, he is having the same issue. We tracked down with other ISP’s, NTT said this: It is very interesting that forcing the return path over Telia worked. That effectively removes Sprint<>Tmobile (Telia routes through Zayo->Tmobile) and futher indicates the trouble is somewhere along that Sprint/TMobile LAX handoff. 

I guess it is a Spring<>Tmobile merge issues which they have never really resolved. It works if we re-routed a website to skip Sprint<>Tmobile router.

Tmobile Tech support team is not helping much so far. This is just pushing customers away.

I’m having the exact same issues.  The service worked fine for almost a month and then in the past 4-5 days i’ve been having to reboot the router multiple times per day because of certain websites not loading.  Youtube and netflix will always load, as will google, and yahoo. But my bank website won’t connect, and many others.   I’ve been on the phone with tech support twice for over an hour and keep being told there’s an upgrade being done to a tower in my area. I find this highly suspect since so many others are experiencing the exact same quirks in connectivity.  

Badge

I’m having the same problem. I develop Joomla websites, and the back end Administrator section of two of my websites refuses to load certain assets (CSS, Javascript, images). The issue comes and goes. It happens on every browser on every computer in our house… but outside our T-Mobile Home Internet wifi network, it loads reliably every time.

Try taking your gateway’s wifi from “auto” to 2.4 GHz only.  This resolved the same issue for me.  For reasons I won’t bore you with I was all set up from switching from the old original gateway to the new white 5G version so I could get an external antenna mounted on the roof.  I’m somewhat rural and setting my gateway outside was a game changer for BW to my address.  So upgrading to the new gateway was sort of a no brainer.  Anyway, having gone thru the issue of setting up some thermostats that don’t use 5GHz wifi a week ago when I received the new gateway, when I started having issues loading websites today, such as costco.com for example, I remembered I had reset my gateway earlier today but forgot to set to 2.4 GHz only.  I did that, and voila, costco.com and other sites started working again.  Hope this helps someone else.  On the app, go to the “network” tab, and click on the SSID, and in the “update network” sub-menu, under “advanced settings”, you have a pull down and can select between Auto, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  Select 2.4 GHz.

Disregard my last on the 2.4 GHz connection.  Soon as I sent that, my connection went sideways again.  I’m going back to my old Nokia gateway from t-mobile.  I can’t hook up an antenna, but at least I never had this issue with it.

Does anyone from TMobile answer questions on this site? Anyway, I am having the same issue on one site. Everything worked fine for the first month and now I am having problems getting info to load on a site I need for work. It works fine when I use my Verizon  Hotspot. Since this is a work laptop I have limited capability to change things on it. Is there a simple solution to get the site to work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

T-Mobile Home Internet has blocked Consumer Cellular for me.

Doesn’t appear to be a DNS issue with my devices, because when I switch to a T-Mobile cellular connection or use the hotspot, the link works fine.

Wonder if T-Mobile is limiting access to competitors?

Update. Disabling the Google Analytics and SEO plugging  on WordPress seems to have resolved my immediate problem. Root cause still undiagnosed. 

We’ve been using Tmo home wifi for a week and this just commenced with one site only so far.  I’m piling on in case someone comes up with an answer.

Everything worked well for me for the 2 months, and now my internet is spotty and I’m having issues with chromium based browsers on my work Mac. If I use Safari web pages load just fine. If I use Chrome, Edge, or Arc (all chromium based) I get this error message:

“Your connection was interrupted.

A network change was detected.

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED”

I’ve tried changing my DNS to the free Google ones. Renewed the DHCP Lease. Restarted my computer and T-Mobile modem/router. Connected to my work VPN. Nothing has worked so far. Every once in awhile I’ll get a website to load once and then I get the error message again.

I don’t have this issue on my personal Mac.

It’s an applied content filter from T-Mobile. You have to call and get it removed...

I have the same problem too. Some websites does not work when I use T-mob 5G but works on ATT Router.

It’s an applied content filter from T-Mobile. You have to call and get it removed...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If you have one, I would suggest a dedicated wi-fi router that is hard-wired to the modem instead of using the built-in wi-fi.  That seems to tax the device a bit too much at times and cause issues like you’re describing.  You may also be dealing with an overheating modem.

Badge

Thanks Jlillard, but the device is consistent with the sites it refuses to load, so it’s not an intermittent or random occurrence, and I do not think it’s a heat-related issue in this case. 

I’d like to continue to solicit advice on this. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have never run across a scenario where T-Mobile is blocking access to a site.  However, since I’m using a dedicated wi-fi router that’s providing DNS for my network as well.  You could try hardcoding your DNS servers on your clients to see if that helps.  Google’s servers are free to use: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  This would help confirm / eliminate a DNS issue.

Badge

Thanks! I had been using Cloudflare’s servers. In testing, I reverted to the Tmo ones, and neither set worked. So I just tried your google ones, plus rebooting and renewing the DHCP lease, but no change. 

The error messages I see on the sites that won’t load are either “timed out” after a long pause, or 

“A network change was detected. ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” 

I don’t think Tmo is blocking anything on purpose, since these are inoffensive sites. But they won’t load. Here is one example site that won’t load for me via Tmo. http://judiglova.com/

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am able to load that site up without a problem.  Someone else on one of my threads mentioned having an issue with a Mac and it may have been related to IP6.  I’m pretty sure my router is only doing IP4 but when I connected to the modem directly it was doing IP6.  Are you able to force yourself to IP4 and see if that helps?