5G Home Internet T-Mobile Gateway needs to be fixed. There are too many internet disconnections.

• 21 September 2021
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Let me start by saying I do like having wireless internet. The problem is I don’t think it is ready for primetime. Speed is great, price is great, but It loses its connection to the internet about once every two days. It’s sad. I have spoken with T-Mobile many times. They have updated my firmware and done other things (I have no idea what they change there), and they tell me that these changes will fix all the problems. Sure! I am getting close to asking them to replace my Gateway to see if that helps. Has anyone had a replacement and found that helped?

71 replies

I am unable to complete my nurse's notes tonight, I have had to start over four times now on this particular note. The internet will work for ten minutes, and then drop for twenty minutes. We moved in here in July; we're going to have to move somewhere else as soon as I can afford it so I can keep working! AT&T did say that they finally got approved by the city to bring fiber in, but they don't have any idea which neighborhoods they're going in to...in December...

Badge

After fighting the daily need to reboot, and reading that tmobile has offered no real answers, I took it back and dropped the service.  I’d LOVE to have a reliable device and would buy one in a  heartbeat.  No real problems with the performance just the reliability.  I cannot accept having to reboot it at random but daily times.  I have lots of stuff on my network that have to have a connection.  I never tried the wifi since I already have a complex wifi network.  I just took the WAN cable from my existing Netgear router and plugged it into the ethernet port on the gateway and it worked perfectly.  Good idea poor implementation IMO.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

UPDATE: The replacement (not new) gateway arrived and I installed it. It went a day, then no internet. Went two days, then no internet, did that for about a week. Then three times yesterday no internet. I called support this morning to tell them the replacement gateway did NOT fix my no internet problems. The tech asked me how far my devices were from the gateway. I said anywhere from 10’ to 30’. He says it can’t be further than 6’ when using the SSID 9 5GHz band. Oh really! Sounds like BS to me. He told me 5 times that he was an expert. I told him I would connect all my devices to 2.4GHz and turn off 5GHz, and then the next time I have not internet I will call back. OMG, this is so sad.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

UPDATE: The replacement (not new) gateway arrived and I installed it. It went a day, then no internet. Went two days, then no internet, did that for about a week. Then three times yesterday no internet. I called support this morning to tell them the replacement gateway did NOT fix my no internet problems. The tech asked me how far my devices were from the gateway. I said anywhere from 10’ to 30’. He says it can’t be further than 6’ when using the SSID 9 5GHz band. Oh really! Sounds like BS to me. He told me 5 times that he was an expert. I told him I would connect all my devices to 2.4GHz and turn off 5GHz, and then the next time I have not internet I will call back. OMG, this is so sad.

Welcome to T-mobile, this is what were all getting

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How it is going?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

How it is going?

1-½ days no restart YET. 2.4GHz is way slower than the 5GHz. Such BS that I’m told not to use the 5GHz band. If that truly is the problem, then I say T-Mobile needs to use a different gateway. Oh wait, I already think that.

Badge

Might not be an option for you but you may want to try turning off the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway. Try using an external WiFi router connected to the T-Mobile Gateway via ethernet cable.

From what I read on these forums, the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway isn’t as good / reliable as an external dedicated WiFi router. Not only does it raise the operating temp of the T-Mobile Gateway, but it also has issues with poor WiFi routing performance (i.e. disconnects, weak WiFi signal, etc.).

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Might not be an option for you but you may want to try turning off the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway. Try using an external WiFi router connected to the T-Mobile Gateway via ethernet cable.

From what I read on these forums, the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway isn’t as good / reliable as an external dedicated WiFi router. Not only does it raise the operating temp of the T-Mobile Gateway, but it also has issues with poor WiFi routing performance (i.e. disconnects, weak WiFi signal, etc.).

How do I turn of the built-in WiFi?

Badge

Accessing the TMO gateway via the browser (192.168.12.1), go to Network --> WiFi Networks --> 2.4GHz. From there, disable the SSID and disable the broadcast options. Click Save. Repeat these steps for every SSID in the 2.4GHz drop down list. Do the same for the 5GHz SSID list.

After you do the steps above, go to Statistics - WLAN, it should say there:

2.4GHz WLAN Connection Disabled

5GHz WLAN Connection Disabled

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How it is going?

1-½ days no restart YET. 2.4GHz is way slower than the 5GHz. Such BS that I’m told not to use the 5GHz band. If that truly is the problem, then I say T-Mobile needs to use a different gateway. Oh wait, I already think that.

It’s a shame as the built in wifi is wifi 6 so it’s actually quite good and just the can covers more than one would expect. That said it does not cover my whole home so I have the Google wifi with 3 pods. I have turned off the internal wifi on the can. I know you don't want to hear this but maybe try turning off the cans wife and just go for something else. I know you should not have to but depends on overall justification. For me TMHI is much less cost over Comcast so me spending some upfront money seems worth it. After all I have oh maybe $225 invested in the external antenna but worth every penny. That jumped me from 75/25 to 650/125 speeds and this would cost me even more if I had Comcast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It’s disconnected again. I’m not spending money to test a third party router. I will start looking for another internet provider. I have no other solution since I’m tired of troubleshooting. I just want my internet to be connected.

Badge

I’ve had my T-Mobile gateway home internet for a few months and had nothing but problems. First week it worked then it stopped connecting and I had to reset the gateway tower every day because I was only getting 4 Mbps. Customer service didn’t know what they were doing, couldn’t fix ANYTHING! They sent me a new gateway tower. It stopped working all together after high winds. I was given excuses by their outsourced support staff that engineers were working on it. Super obnoxious fluctuations in speed. Worst decision I ever made was trying the gateway home internet offered by T-Mobile. They need to fix the problems before offering to their customers. Clearly they do not have a handle on it. Now I’m two weeks with out internet because of them. Do yourself a favor and avoid headaches, don’t go with T-Mobile Gateway home internet. IT DOESN’T WORK!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’ve had my T-Mobile gateway home internet for a few months and had nothing but problems. First week it worked then it stopped connecting and I had to reset the gateway tower every day because I was only getting 4 Mbps. Customer service didn’t know what they were doing, couldn’t fix ANYTHING! They sent me a new gateway tower. It stopped working all together after high winds. I was given excuses by their outsourced support staff that engineers were working on it. Super obnoxious fluctuations in speed. Worst decision I ever made was trying the gateway home internet offered by T-Mobile. They need to fix the problems before offering to their customers. Clearly they do not have a handle on it. Now I’m two weeks with out internet because of them. Do yourself a favor and avoid headaches, don’t go with T-Mobile Gateway home internet. IT DOESN’T WORK!

I had some issues but like anything new you have to work things out sometimes. I am very happy now and would never go back to cable.

To each his own there are many happy customers it works different in different areas just like cell phones don't work in every spot.

Badge

Um, I’ve spent hours trying to “work things out” and I’m fully aware how to try and fix issues. T-Mobile couldn’t even fix the issues. So T-Mobile home internet doesn’t work. I’m going with a different internet provider that actually works and I don’t have to spend ALL of my free time on the phone with customer support. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Um, I’ve spent hours trying to “work things out” and I’m fully aware how to try and fix issues. T-Mobile couldn’t even fix the issues. So T-Mobile home internet doesn’t work. I’m going with a different internet provider that actually works and I don’t have to spend ALL of my free time on the phone with customer support. 

Probably where you went wrong you only worked with tech support. I researched my towers used google maps many things I have tons of post with my quest. I am happy to save over $150 per month it was worth it.

If you want me to agree with you that calling support is not going to get everything fixed I agree they don't know everything and some things they cannot suggest.

You can go to the Facebook groupT-mobile Home Internet and here and find many happy customers.

It’s unfair to say it does not work. Sure it does not work for you ok and you can afford to pay 3 times as much again ok some of us cannot.

Best of luck to you with your new provider.

Badge

I don’t care wether you agree with me or not. You don’t know what I’ve done and you really shouldn’t be assuming you know more than I do as far as what I’ve been through. T-Mobile internet doesn’t  work and there’s plenty of complaints about their service. And I’m paying the same price for my new internet as I was paying for T-mobile internet, and it works. So for you to assume I’m paying three times the amount as t-mobile internet is an ignorant assumption. Because you’re WRONG. But it sounds like you don’t like being wrong, you just like assuming something you know nothing about. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I don’t care wether you agree with me or not. You don’t know what I’ve done and you really shouldn’t be assuming you know more than I do as far as what I’ve been through. T-Mobile internet doesn’t  work and there’s plenty of complaints about their service. And I’m paying the same price for my new internet as I was paying for T-mobile internet, and it works. So for you to assume I’m paying three times the amount as t-mobile internet is an ignorant assumption. Because you’re WRONG. But it sounds like you don’t like being wrong, you just like assuming something you know nothing about. 

Aren't you gone now no longer a customer why are you here?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

What service did you switch too? It’s great if some people can make the gateway work, but having to reboot it 1 to 3 times a day sure indicates to me there’s a problem. It’s too bad that T-Mobile doesn’t know (or won't admit) how to fix it. I have to believe it’s the gateway since I don’t have problems with my 5G phone connection.

Badge

Why do you care?  Why are you taking this personal? Move on.  Why are you here?  You’re taking this so personal as if you work for T-mobile. T-mobile is garbage, and that’s my personal experience. I have a right to voice my experience. Telling me I will pay three times as much is total BS. You know NOTHING about what I’m paying.  For everyone having issues with T-mobile, I’m having the same issues. Get a internet provider that is reliable, because T-mobile is garbage. 

Badge

Let me start by saying I do like having wireless internet. The problem is I don’t think it is ready for primetime. Speed is great, price is great, but It loses its connection to the internet about once every two days. It’s sad. I have spoken with T-Mobile many times. They have updated my firmware and done other things (I have no idea what they change there), and they tell me that these changes will fix all the problems. Sure! I am getting close to asking them to replace my Gateway to see if that helps. Has anyone had a replacement and found that helped?

The T-Mobile Home Internet is completely DISASTROUS. The internet drops like 5 to 6 times a day. My partner and I both work from home and this is starting to get really annoying. And when the internet is down, I also can’t even use my hotspot. At this point, we are definitely looking into quitting the service. We’re on our 3rd modem tower from them and the issues keep coming back. This has been an ongoing issue for at least the last 3 months. No one is able to help, We’re both in IT so you can easily assume we have tried EVERY troubleshooting method. We’re switching back to SPECTRUM. I don’t want to support their services but at least they’re better by far in the reliability of their service. 

I don’t blame you, I’ve switched to a cable service provider for the same price as T-mobile was charging me. T-mobile internet is DISASTROUS and they cannot resolve any issues. I tried everything, and the tower is just useless. 

Badge

Oh wait, T-mobile internet was consistent. CONSISTENTLY BAD!  
for 007bondM16, your a troll who probably works for T-mobile.  Best decision I ever made was getting rid of T-mobile internet and going with a RELIABLE internet service for the exact same price!!!!

Badge

What service did you switch too? It’s great if some people can make the gateway work, but having to reboot it 1 to 3 times a day sure indicates to me there’s a problem. It’s too bad that T-Mobile doesn’t know (or won't admit) how to fix it. I have to believe it’s the gateway since I don’t have problems with my 5G phone connection.

MisterK- After I cancelled T-mobile internet and went with a cable service for the exact same price, my internet is faster and completely reliable. I wish you the very best of luck. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Oh wait, T-mobile internet was consistent. CONSISTENTLY BAD!  
for 007bondM16, your a troll who probably works for T-mobile.  Best decision I ever made was getting rid of T-mobile internet and going with a RELIABLE internet service for the exact same price!!!!

I don't work for TM and not a troll if you took the time to read post I give out help info but then again ppl have to want to recieve help.

There is one huge diff with your cable that your short sightedness where my view is long term. TMHI is $50 per month lifetime I am sure you did not get that from any cable company. So soon your bill will go  up same old thing that happens with cable over and over the deal never last long.

As noted by others some it works some it does not bottom line if you work at it you can get it to work. But to each his own you gave up that’s fine as the gateway you returned there is someone waiting to receive it. But come back next year tell us what your cable bill went up to we all will still be at $50 with no data cap. Oh and it’s not personal I just am 100% sure it can work in your location but as I have said many times this is not a take out of the box place on table plug in and it works product. You have to find the right location and maybe even install an antenna that part TM fails at informing customers.

But do post the term your cable co gave you I bet it is a year maybe 2 tops then you pay them full price.

I just set up the gateway about a week ago and am seeing similar issues where I need to reset the gateway about once a day due to internet drop out.  There appears to be no reason.  I called support and they had me reset it and told me it would never happen again, but it still does. Are people still seeing this or has it been fixed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I just set up the gateway about a week ago and am seeing similar issues where I need to reset the gateway about once a day due to internet drop out.  There appears to be no reason.  I called support and they had me reset it and told me it would never happen again, but it still does. Are people still seeing this or has it been fixed?

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.