5G Home Internet T-Mobile Gateway needs to be fixed. There are too many internet disconnections.

• 21 September 2021
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Let me start by saying I do like having wireless internet. The problem is I don’t think it is ready for primetime. Speed is great, price is great, but It loses its connection to the internet about once every two days. It’s sad. I have spoken with T-Mobile many times. They have updated my firmware and done other things (I have no idea what they change there), and they tell me that these changes will fix all the problems. Sure! I am getting close to asking them to replace my Gateway to see if that helps. Has anyone had a replacement and found that helped?

71 replies

I just set up the gateway about a week ago and am seeing similar issues where I need to reset the gateway about once a day due to internet drop out.  There appears to be no reason.  I called support and they had me reset it and told me it would never happen again, but it still does. Are people still seeing this or has it been fixed?

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

Ok, thanks.  Here is the info.

Primary Signal

RSRP -68 dBm

SNR 19 dB

RSRQ -8 dB

RSSI -44 dBm

PCI 367

Band B66

EARFCN 66487

Secondary Signal

RSRP -109 dBm

SNR -3 dB

RSRQ -18 dB

PCI 641

Band n41

NR-ARFCN 519630

I just set up the gateway about a week ago and am seeing similar issues where I need to reset the gateway about once a day due to internet drop out.  There appears to be no reason.  I called support and they had me reset it and told me it would never happen again, but it still does. Are people still seeing this or has it been fixed?

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

Primary Signal

RSRP-64 dBm

SNR19 dB

RSRQ-10 dB

RSSI

PCI 85

Band B2

EARFCN 875

Secondary Signal

RSRP-105 dBm

SNR0 dB

RSRQ-17 dB

PCI 344

Band n41

NR-ARFCN 519630

I just received new gray can internet device. For the 4G or 5G setting I see PCI 89 and 407. What does PCI mean relative to wifi speeds?

Primary Signal

PCI

Band

B66

EARFCN

Secondary Signal

PCI

Band

n41

NR-ARFCN

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes. So many reporting the same issue, and when you call them, they seem surprised (oh no!). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Really pathetic that this problem has gone on so long without a fix or even an estimate from T-Mobile when it will be fixed.

I just read this whole thread as I am experiencing some of the same issues. Hoping to hear if anyone has hooked up a router to at least handle the wifi part and what units work best with the wifi6?

Was good now seems to happen more frequently with latest update. Could be related to number of devices connected and with nbackend (Tmobile servers) unable to handle and so it freezes and then disconnects. Doubt overheat or signal problem as I seem to have neither. Could even be tmobile servers overewelmed in general and they are rebooting their system. Agree needs fixing.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised that my internet dropping problem seems to have been resolved. My gateway has held a connection without dropping for 19d 1h 31m. Perhaps there was a firmware upgrade that fixed the repeated dropouts or maybe the “tower maintenance” argument was legit. The current firmware I show is 1.2103.00.0338. Anybody else experience a similar result?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

… anybody else experience a similar result?

Me.  They completed tower upgrades almost five months ago (took three or four weeks for the tower work), then speed increased substantially and internet dropping problem disappeared.

Hi. Only tracking this for last several days. There was the update as above nit not sire when. The drops Jane not happened for the last 4 days.

Well, I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised that my internet dropping problem seems to have been resolved. My gateway has held a connection without dropping for 19d 1h 31m. Perhaps there was a firmware upgrade that fixed the repeated dropouts or maybe the “tower maintenance” argument was legit. The current firmware I show is 1.2103.00.0338. Anybody else experience a similar result?

What device do you have is it the gray cylinder or the black cube?

Sorry for all the mispells. 4 days without disconnect then one tuesday AM. This could be tmobile rebooting their system.  Problem is you have to reboot the router (it does not auto connect to internet even though wifi and cell signals are good) and if not home you can not do this remotely. Supposedly tmobile may be able to do this remotely. Went 7 days before that without disconnect.

When I call into TM support, they have me unplug to reboot and think that’s going to solve the problem. They have sent me 3 different gateways and it seems to be getting worse with seven reboots today. 

Userlevel 1

I've had t mobile going on a year now and I'm sick and tired of their BS excuses. The service is the worse its ever been I'm leaving them with the home internet next month and going with an actual wifi carrier. Plan on keeping my phone service because I'm getting 1 of their devices to boost my cell signal strength but if that doesn't work I'll leave them altogether. I have hundreds of dollars in Call of Duty Mobile and their service just keeps screwing me bad. Just 1 example. I will not ever recommend T mobile to anyone ever again. It's the worst service I've ever had in my life and it just keeps getting worse so screw it. 

Userlevel 1

They have over expanded their network to much for the towers to be able to handle it all. And they just keep screwing more and more people out of their hard earned money. Turn out to be a BS company 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t care wether you agree with me or not. You don’t know what I’ve done and you really shouldn’t be assuming you know more than I do as far as what I’ve been through. T-Mobile internet doesn’t  work and there’s plenty of complaints about their service. And I’m paying the same price for my new internet as I was paying for T-mobile internet, and it works. So for you to assume I’m paying three times the amount as t-mobile internet is an ignorant assumption. Because you’re WRONG. But it sounds like you don’t like being wrong, you just like assuming something you know nothing about. 

Aren't you gone now no longer a customer why are you here?

Oh wait, T-mobile internet was consistent. CONSISTENTLY BAD!  
for 007bondM16, your a troll who probably works for T-mobile.  Best decision I ever made was getting rid of T-mobile internet and going with a RELIABLE internet service for the exact same price!!!!

I don't work for TM and not a troll if you took the time to read post I give out help info but then again ppl have to want to recieve help.

There is one huge diff with your cable that your short sightedness where my view is long term. TMHI is $50 per month lifetime I am sure you did not get that from any cable company. So soon your bill will go  up same old thing that happens with cable over and over the deal never last long.

As noted by others some it works some it does not bottom line if you work at it you can get it to work. But to each his own you gave up that’s fine as the gateway you returned there is someone waiting to receive it. But come back next year tell us what your cable bill went up to we all will still be at $50 with no data cap. Oh and it’s not personal I just am 100% sure it can work in your location but as I have said many times this is not a take out of the box place on table plug in and it works product. You have to find the right location and maybe even install an antenna that part TM fails at informing customers.

But do post the term your cable co gave you I bet it is a year maybe 2 tops then you pay them full price.

If your stuff is working, why are you on the forums harassing people who are having problems?  You’re not being helpful.  Saying “If you work at it you can get it to work” is such a strawman argument.  You don’t think everyone on here hasn’t been working at it?  Everyone is literally living in a different location.  T-Mobile wants to put a box in everyones home if possible, but they are giving priority to mobile users.  That’s why a 5 bar connection on a trashcan can equal .25 mbs down while a 5g phone right beside it gets 100+mbs.  It’s not science, and you are being a troll.  Absolutely no one cares that it is working for you.

Over 3 weeks without our Gateway functioning and waiting for our second replacement.  It worked perfectly for nearly a year and now it won't connect to the internet.  Each time I've been on the phone, we do the troubleshooting and I ask about the towers...no clear answers.  I live in a rural area.  We've come to depend on the gateway access.  If I look it up on a map, it shows it's not available in our area, yet we've used it steadily for a year...then suddenly, it stops.  They graciously gave me 100 GB of data on my phone's mobile hotspot, but it's gone already. (Plus, they took the $35 fee off for the data boost.  Gee, thanks) I'm no IT expert but if our phones work with mobile hotspots just fine, why not the gateway?  And the fact they can boost our high speed data temporarily for the inconvenience?  I say it's ridiculous and grossly unfair to remove our access to the gateway service after we become dependent and accustomed to having great Internet access.  But when the 3rd gateway gets here, if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'm going to do...or say.  But I'm re to go back to our previous provider.

A few months ago power cycling the TMHI box would get us back to something reasonably exciting (~200/25), but for the past month that only works about 30% of the time, and even then it doesn’t last very long before I’m seeing speeds down in the 1Mbps range.  Seriously!  Still connected, but at the speed of a dialup modem.  

What is interesting is that my iPhone 13 hotspot will consistently deliver over 300Mbs with vastly better ping rates.

Poking around on the net suggests that the Arcadyan kvd21 firmware is crap. 

Hi, I am not a tmobile employee, I dont own stock. I am a retired electronics tech.

I welcome the option. 

For internet and tv, I have been stuck with comcast and there lies for years. During one complaint call about comcast pirate pricing, the customer service manager said, “well you can use someone else if you want.” THERE WAS NO OPTIONS. I seriously wanted to petition the government to break them up, because comcast didnt have any real competition where I live, just one cable to my house, thats it.  

You all need to remember that a few years ago we were talking on a phone hanging on the wall, The tech that All the cell providers are rolling out is Amazing,

My Kid games on it

Dont serve websites with this

My kid has this new device in his room, He games on it, so it cant be to bad. acceptable lag and can download Gigabye size games,  If your serving websites, this is not for you. 

It is what it is.

Same issues, same no-fix/no results from TMob no-customer service….we have to switch. I work from home and can’t even download my email anymore. This cannot go on anymore for me.

I don’t know what happened. At 1st this was great, now it is just absolutely useless. Been watching old DVD/Blu-Rays because watching streaming isn’t happening. Sorry to say it, but we are gone...probably will switch our cell phones too. Just bad customer service and products all the way around.