Question

5g Hone Internet and Gaming

Badge

I just got the service about two weeks ago so far I’ve noticed when I game on ps4 I’m getting about 125 ping which isn’t helpful. My question is will an exterior antenna help latency or is it only for download and upload speeds?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I just got the service about two weeks ago so far I’ve noticed when I game on ps4 I’m getting about 125 ping which isn’t helpful. My question is will an exterior antenna help latency or is it only for download and upload speeds?

If your ping is consistently around 125 or varies from say 25-200ms, then yes an external antenna can help narrow the variations to lower the average. However, if you check multiple times from multiple connection points and they all show around 125, then no.

Keep in mind though that ping is just a specific moment in time. Use waveform.com buffer bloat test and read their recommendations. Waveform sells external antennas and seem to have very good customer reviews.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are using the T-Mobile home internet mobile application you can view and record the cellular metrics for the 4G LTE and 5G NR  signals. With the values you can see how well your signal is received and how strong it is and how clean it is. If you can improve that some with location then your “ping” latency values may be improved some. An external antenna that improves the signal quality will help. 

You can ping major DNS servers and use speedtest.net and fast.com to compare responses. The ping utility uses ICMP protocol to relay the messages that reflect the latency of the communication. Waveform has some excellent external antennas and very helpful engineers. There are other solutions as well for external antennas. Getting information from experts like Waveform is a good path. If you are on the n71 or n41 band then the cost associated with the external antenna solution has a good spread. The 2X2 MIMO vs the 4X4 MIMO antenna solution depends upon the band received. It is not a cheap solution but well it can quite possibly improve matters.