Solved

AirPrint with T-Mobile home internet Nokia 5G21 gateway

• 29 August 2021
  • 16 replies

Badge

So I just set up the Nokia gateway and, for the most part, it works great for my needs.  I love that it is $25 less per month than I was paying Spectrum (the only other real option for me in my area) for faster speeds.  The only issue I’ve run into is that, while I can connect my Brother MFC-L2710DW printer to the gateway, I am unable to get any of my Apple devices to “see” it as an AirPrint option.  I currently have it connected to my old Netgear access point to be able to use it which works but I would like to not have to switch networks in order to print from my iPhone or iPad.  The UI for the gateway is super dumbed-down and I cannot find any editable security settings that could be causing the issue.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue and discovered a workaround?

icon

Best answer by sdcasurf01 29 August 2021, 21:47

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

How do you factory reset the gateway? I used the little reset button on the back of the tower but it just turned it off and on again. It didn’t reset any of my settings or anything. 

You have to hold it longer, as explained in the user manual, pg 29 and on:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

If you are having AirPrint problems, try the reboot first.  Doing the reset (factory default) requires you to completely reconfigure the gateway.

How do you factory reset the gateway? I used the little reset button on the back of the tower but it just turned it off and on again. It didn’t reset any of my settings or anything. 

@Streamliner  You say “Then I entered those same numbers into my Brothers printer”. How did you do that?

All these printer are different. You might try your user’s manual or go to Brothers website. Or enter your question in Google search. Best of luck to you.

All these printers are different. Find the network or WiFi buttons and start toggling. It should ask for your SSID and Password at some point. Also youcould enter your question in Google search. Best of luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Streamliner  You say “Then I entered those same numbers into my Brothers printer”. How did you do that?

Yes, I just re-entered the factory SSID and WiFi Key printed on the bottom of the Gateway device. Then I entered those same numbers into my Brothers printer, my phone, my Roku, etc., so they could all reconnect with my Gateway. By the way, ignore the Password printed on the bottom of Gateway: it didn’t work for me. Use the “WiFi Key” number instead. Kind of a hassle, but it works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Doesn't resetting the Gateway cause it to lose all of its passwords and SSID setting?

Edit: I did a factory reset on the gateway and am now able to get full functionality. Hopefully this remains the case.

The factory reset worked for me too! Thanks for posting your solution. 

Ditto for me! Wasted a whole Saturday afternoon trying to send a print job from my Apple tablet to my new Brothers printer. Then I found this advice, and it worked. I used a pencil to reach and press the tiny reset button on the back of my T-Mobile Gateway. Rebooting is the best way. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

My Gateway firmware was updated yesterday. I restarted my computer and my iPhone, but that did not help. I will try seeing up the printer again.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had the same issue recently. I setup a new Brother printer successfully on the wireless network and I was able to print from all devices, Windows, IOS,MAC, and just yesterday I couldn’t print from any IOS devices, error, can’t find any air print printers. I could print from the Brother App, but not directly from IOS device. I did a system reboot, (not factory reset) and now I can see the printer and print from these devices. I’m not sure what happened, but the gateway just recently received a firmware update. All my IP addresses stayed the same. I know they’re not static and for my general uses I’m ok with this. I know there are many who want the location set for their area, but that isn’t important to what I use the Internet for presently. Anyway that was my solution for IOS print problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It’s not that important to me to spend that time. I can print wireless from my Mac no problem, just not my iPhone or iPad, which I rarely did when it did work.

Badge

Spare yourself the pain and just factory reboot and update your settings. The gateway is locked down and doesn’t give many options anyway, right? I doubt you’ll find a solution. In my case I don’t it was actually the printer it was the gateway not allowing Bonjour packets from our Apple devices to get through. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I don’t want to factory reset my Gateway. I will lose all of my settings. I’m pretty sure not seeing the printer is a problem with my Brother printer.

Badge

Edit: I did a factory reset on the gateway and am now able to get full functionality. Hopefully this remains the case.

The factory reset worked for me too! Thanks for posting your solution. 

Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

I simply signed my Apple devices into the WiFi of the Nokia, assigned my Canon printer to the same network, and Mac, iPhone and iPad all print just fine.