Solved

Any Solution to the Printer connection problems with T-Mobile Gateways?

Badge

Installed my Arcadyan KYD21 Router last Friday, and everything works fine except that I cannot get my HP 8600 printer connected. Been through multiple conversations with support, and tried everything including using the admin settings to separate the 2.4G and 5G gateways, plus reinstalling and resetting the printer.  Still cannot connect. Looks like either the gateway is filtering, or the printer cannot use “b/g” with no way to change to “n” on the gateway, nor is there anyway to manually add the printer IP address. Router and printer are too far apart to use an ethernet or usb-c connection. T-Mobile tech support says the gateway is working as it should and it’s not a problem at their end. Unless there is a solution within the next week (15 day free trial) Its -back in the box and cancel the service. I have to be able to connect a printer. Anyone have any other ideas?

icon

Best answer by Kensxna 28 August 2022, 22:52

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Installed my Arcadyan KYD21 Router last Friday, and everything works fine except that I cannot get my HP 8600 printer connected. Been through multiple conversations with support, and tried everything including using the admin settings to separate the 2.4G and 5G gateways, plus reinstalling and resetting the printer.  Still cannot connect. Looks like either the gateway is filtering, or the printer cannot use “b/g” with no way to change to “n” on the gateway, nor is there anyway to manually add the printer IP address. Router and printer are too far apart to use an ethernet or usb-c connection. T-Mobile tech support says the gateway is working as it should and it’s not a problem at their end. Unless there is a solution within the next week (15 day free trial) Its -back in the box and cancel the service. I have to be able to connect a printer. Anyone have any other ideas?

A couple of recent threads may help.  The Arcadyan gateway transmission mode can be changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If that is the model I am thinking it is then it is like 8 years old. You state HP 8600 so what exact model. Does it have an ethernet interface for a wired connection? The radio appears to be only 802.11 b/g/n – 2.4 GHz networks only. That would probably also suggest it only supports WEP or WPA but nothing more secure. 

Badge

tomwil - thanks for the reply. I didn’t see anything in those threads about how to change the Gateway’s transmission mode, but I’ll check out the Nater Tater Youtube videos referenced.

iTinkeralot - the specific Model of the printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, Model Number on the back is: SNPRC-1101-01

I don’t know how old the printer is, it isn’t mine, but 8 years sounds about right. I think I used to have one of these for several years, but I’m now using an HP Color Laserjet at my residence.

I’m trying to upgrade a widow’s Wifi internet from a VERY slow Century-Link DSL. Thought I’d try T-Mobile before I brought in Xfinity Cable. Everything was looking good until I tried to switch the printer over.  I’ve spent a couple hours with T-M tech support, and have tried several times switching back and forth between combined gateway and separate 2.4g & 5G gateways.  No luck on the separate 2.4G with a different name either.

If I can’t get the Arcadyan KVD21 transmission mode to talk down to the printer, I may have to pull the plug and wait for Xfinity to run a cable to the house.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Removing the Century-Link DSL yoke would be nice. Hum… well I thought that was the printer model so yes it is roughly 8 years old and getting older. I am not sure I would jump for Xfinity over T-Mobile as the contract, fees, all the little one off options to consider makes the T-Mobile solution pretty attractive. No contract, no data cap, $50/month with auto pay and I can walk away at any time and just send the gateway back to them. I believe that printer, based upon the documentation I found, has an Ethernet port on it. With a pair of TP-Link Ethernet over power adapters that would be pretty simple to connect to the gateway or a switch connected to the gateway. Or a simple relocation of the printer depending upon how often it is used etc.. Well, it is hard to say why it does not connect to the 2.4 GHz channel. It is so old HP will have no driver downloads available and if that is due to some bug then it is unlikely the WIFI will play nice.

I don’t know how much the Xfinity cost would be per month and have not considered it as well they don’t have any service in our area. For me it was T-Mobile or Hughes Net and well we both know Hughes Net is probably no better than Century-Link DSL for actual speeds and Hughes Net is more cost higher latency and a 2 year contract. I just don’t like contracts with the big ISP providers as they seem to bump the cost up when they feel like it and they have you hooked. 

If you are connecting to a stable tower connection with n41 with T-Mobile the download speeds are pretty impressive. How long will that profile last? Time will tell. I will only have n71 here for probably a long time but it works really well. You know how it goes. They state they will deliver the Xfinity cable “soon” but well timelines are usually altered. You could do the T-Mobile solution and walk away at any time and improve your solution over the slow DSL link. I don’t know that I would go backward for a printer issue especially if it was not my printer. I have no connection to T-Mobile other than being a normal user. I have seen 10X the bandwidth, more stability, less cost, and no contract with T-Mobile as a huge win over the expensive, slow DSL solution we had in CA. 

Best wishes to you! Hope you get things sorted out soon.

I’m having the exact same problem. The TMobile  Gateway won’t connect to my printer. I have an Epson wireless printer and have never had a connection problem with it. I recently connected it to a new 5g Netgear router without a problem. This was before I decided to try TMibile’s 14 day trial. The printer isn’t the problem. Time is ticking and support has not been helpful at all. The last support person had me on hold while he watched a video on what to do. The hold music was kabuki dancer music. 
im going to go to a T-Mobile store to see if they can help. So far, I have my doubts. Has anyone who has had this issue had a resolution? 

Badge

Not me. Sadly.

Userlevel 1

Got my Brother MCF working finally. TM gateway app showed my printer in the devices tab, but other devices couldn't  connect  to  it. Solution: 

1 open gateway app and select network tab

2 tap + button lower right

3 create a new Ssid and password

4 set frequency band to 2.4 Ghz

5 set WPA Version to WPA/WPA2

6 set WPA Encryption  to AES (TKIP & AES)

7 Tap SAVE

8 Reconfigure your printer wifi to connect to the new SSID you just created.

9 Once connected other  devices should connect to the printer.

Note: Before creating the new SSID , I already had separate 2.4 and 5.0 networks set up with different SSIDs.

Badge

Well, I tried, and it got closer in that the printer did connect. That being said, I couldn’t work wirelessly with the printer/scanner. Sadly.

Got my Brother MCF working finally. TM gateway app showed my printer in the devices tab, but other devices couldn't  connect  to  it. Solution: 

7 Tap SAVE

Note: Before creating the new SSID , I already had separate 2.4 and 5.0 networks set up with different SSIDs.

My only solution is to keep my Netgear Router and plug it in when I want to print. I even had a TMobile store manager here trying to figure it out.  All TMobile needs to do is make their Gateway towers with a WPS button and the problem would be solved. 

Badge

My only solution is to keep my Netgear Router and plug it in when I want to print. I even had a TMobile store manager here trying to figure it out.  All TMobile needs to do is make their Gateway towers with a WPS button and the problem would be solved. 

I hear ya. Enabling bridge mode would work too. I just hate having two routers running so that I can access the printer from my AirPort’s network and then have to flip back to the trash cube for internet purposes. I wouldn’t mind the WPS button though at all. See, the user community gives TMUS options.

What security settings do you have on the router? When I installed mine last week my laptop would bluescreen when I tried to connect it. I figured out that my Asus Nano USB that did NOT support WPA3, which is the default for the Arcadyan KVD21. I switched it to WPA/WPA2 and it worked fine. 

It looks like your HP doesn’t support it either. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Does-Officejet-Pro-8600-support-WPA3-Personal-security/td-p/7711323 

Badge

I’m having the exact same problem. The TMobile  Gateway won’t connect to my printer. I have an Epson wireless printer and have never had a connection problem with it. I recently connected it to a new 5g Netgear router without a problem. This was before I decided to try TMibile’s 14 day trial. The printer isn’t the problem. Time is ticking and support has not been helpful at all. The last support person had me on hold while he watched a video on what to do. The hold music was kabuki dancer music. 
im going to go to a T-Mobile store to see if they can help. So far, I have my doubts. Has anyone who has had this issue had a resolution? 

Same. I cant connect my hp 8600 pro printer to the router. My tv’s and fines connect just fine. My printer says there may be a MAC filter on the router blocking it but I don’t see a way to disable it on the app

Badge

7 Tap SAVE

Thank you! I tried your steps and it worked for me. I connected my printer to the separate connection and now it’s working. 

I too am limping along with an old printer. I had to change to gateway setting from recommended wpa2/wpa3 back to Wpa 2 and my printer connected. 

Finally after multiple attempts to connect my Canon TR4520, this fixed it!  Thank you!!!!!!

Same issue for me, i am an IT wizard and both Brother Color LAser and a separate scanner, both very new and current machines, would connect, work for a few hours, then just stop working. They still show connected but no communication on the network.

Removing them and adding again, no solution.

I created a new SSID, LameNetwork, assigned it to 2.4GHZ and WPA2 and AES, and hidden, and both machiens connected to it and are working again. Im going to see if they keep working for a few days. There seems to be some firmware issues with the printers and the communication standard with this new Gateway, TMobile still has somethings to figure out. I will message Mike the CEO and let him know (we talk once and a while about stuff), but he needs to know his tech team needs to get his right if they want to compete as a solid home solution..

Will report back if these printers stay connected, its like they work for 3 hours, then just STOP, when using the dual band SSID and such.. the solution above worked for the time being, hoping it sticks, will report back.

I have the same issue with an HP 7858 printer. It connects to the 2.4 network but none of my devices on the same network can see it. 

I will be returning the Gateway if I can’t figure this out. The internet connection needs to be transparent to my wife. Any kind of messing around with routers, etc. is a deal breaker. 

The only option right now is to create 2 networks, one for the printers, one for the other devices.. you cna hide the network for the printers too (which is what i did), so really there is only 1 network, 2.4 and 5G and all items connect..

I did all of this, but my devices cannot see the printer even when it is connected to the Gateway.

I did all of this, but my devices cannot see the printer even when it is connected to the Gateway.

oddly i have my printers on the 2nd network, and I can see them from the other SSID. Sounds like something else is off, its all on the same network regardless of SSID or frequency.. 

Figured it out…Connect printer to main (default) network. Connect computer, iPhone, etc. on either default or new (2.4 GHz, in my case) network. Printer appears on both networks!

I had the same issue with my HP ENVY 6055e printer. I got the hotspot to set up the 2.4GHz network, but I had to do it through the app on my phone. I could not do it via the website on a PC. Still waiting to see if the printer will work...

I changed my existing network I created to wpa2 and my printer connected immediately! The only device I had to re connect was my laptop. 

7 Tap SAVE

I just got my gateway and had issues with my HP printer connecting.  I followed these instructions and now it works fine.  I am not sure WHY it works (technical aspects), I just know it works.  Thanks!!

The instructions helped me a great deal with my HP printer. Thank you for the easy to follow steps.