Solved

Anyone else had FTP problems using Hone Internet?

• 14 September 2021
  • 32 replies

Badge

I am testing T-M Home Internet and although it has Ben generally good so far, I just ran into a problem when I attempted a routine FTP upload using CyberDuck to a website I maintain. When I try to connect I get an Interoperability Failure message. My ISP says the website is fine and they are able to FTP to it and it t seems I have some kind of communication or network problem.

What are other people’s experiences doing FTP on T-M Home Internet?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Harris 20 September 2021, 03:21

View original

32 replies

I’m using ExaVault.com without any problems. They are a paid for FTP service.

Badge

Thanks for that info; it’s good to know that FTP can work in some situations. I have now managed to speak with a TM  Home Internet support expert. He searched through trouble reports and found that FTP being blocked was a known problem and was being actively worked on.He was surprised the problem existed. He mentioned Port 80, number of  ipv4 and ipv6 addresses  available ,etc., and apparently there were different aspects to the bug and/or the trouble reports. He said  my free trial would be extended pending resolution of this issue.

Badge

UPDATE

One day after my conversation with TM Support, I received a voice message from the expert. He has now changed his story. He says the gray tower TM gateway does not support FTP. I am disappointed and confused. If he’s right, I shall shortly be returning the gateway.; lack of FTP is a showstopper as I maintain a club website. There must be quite a few other home users who maintain websites for families, churches, clubs, etc.

Userlevel 2

Turn off Passive mode (or pasv) in your ftp client, after that ftp will work just fine. You may need to enable “Port mode” in your client as an alternative to “passive mode”. I believe the last person I told to do this was even using Cyber duck and once they did so it worked fine

Badge

Jayke, thanks very much for this information. It’s just the kind of advice I was hoping to get.  I’ll try your suggestion when I get home tomorrow evening.

Badge

Well , I tried disabling passive mode in. Cyberduck by going to proxy preferences and deselecting it. Unfortunately, this seemed to have no effect; I still got the interoperability error message.  I tried also selecting Auto Proxy Discovery, but this did not help. I then tried bypassing proxy settings for my target site; no help.  As you. can probably tell, I was getting out of my depth and just groping around. Any suggestions welcomed!

Badge

In case it’s relevant, I am running Cyberduck on MacOS, and it has worked on many different networks over several years.

Userlevel 2

I’m not sure where you’re seeing proxy settings but you shouldn’t need to mess with them at all. I just downloaded and tested cyberduck. All I did was click “Open Connection” then type in my server, username and password. At the bottom of the window  I clicked “More Options” and i changed “Connect Mode” from “Default” to “Active (PORT)” then hit connect and it all worked..

It probably is also worth noting FTP is a technology that has been out of date and considered insecure for a very long time. It has been highly recommended not to use FTP for anything other than anonymous file transfers (think software distribution) since the 1900s. You should ideally use SFTP or SCP to upload files to your web hosting provider

Badge

I really appreciate the trouble you are going to to try to help me Jayke. It seems I am just a click away from finding a solution, but which click?!

I went to proxy settings because that’s where I found the option to turn passive mode on or off.

I see no “more options” at the bottom of the open connection window—I am guessing you are using the Windows version of Cyberduck, whereas I am on MacOS. (With its firewall turned off.)

I understand what you say about FTP being old technology lacking in security. However, when I took over the club website from my predecessor, he was using FTP so I did the same. There is no financial transaction or sensitive information on the website.

Badge

UPDATE

I installed Forklift,  turned passive mode off, and connected to my website without problem. This is not the I  app I want to use, but this confirms Jayke’s advice, and confirms there is nothing wrong with my laptop or my target website.

IThe issue of correctly configuring Cyberduck to work in non-passive mode remains, however. I  attach a screenshot of what I see when I open a connection on Cyberduck—no “more options” drop-down.

Badge

SUCCESS AT LAST!

I have finally learned how to switch macOS Cyberduck from passive to active mode, and it  is now  working on the gray tower-TM Home Internet.

For anyone else in the same situation, here is how to do it.

(1) Edit a bookmark rather than just opening a connection. This will show a “More Options” drop-down.

(2) Open “Connect Mode” and select“Active (PORT)”

I am just hoping T-M does not make any changes that will stop this from working…

Here’s the heart of the T-Mobile Home Internet FTP problem.  T-Mobile Home Internet ISP is IPV6 and my Cox Cable ISP is IPV4.  The older PASV FTP command (the default for at least my CuteFTP program) works perfectly on Cox Cable ISP but won’t work on T-Mobile Home Internet IPV6. What did work is changing Data connection type in my FTP program from “Use global settings” to “Use EPSV”

“So, what’s the difference now between EPSV and PASV? Or Extended Passive Mode and Passive Mode? The main difference is that EPSV and Extended Passive Mode are primarily designed to accommodate both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, while the older PASV command and Passive Mode could only support IPV4.”

https://www.jscape.com/blog/what-is-the-ftp/s-epsv-command-and-when-do-you-use-it

This appears to be happening with my setup as well.  Here’s my story:

I am running a Linux webserver on my local network. I used to upload to a webservice that I run to post data. Since I switched my router which was on Cox to the T-Mobile gateway the service failed.  When connecting via ftp (ftp -v -n satwatcher.us) I was getting this error:

220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 14 of 150 allowed.
220-Local time is now 13:32. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
331 User [redacted] OK. Password required
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
local: latest.html remote: latest.html
200 PORT command successful
425 Could not open data connection to port 48232: Connection timed out
221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
221 Logout.

I then tried switching to forced passive mode (adding the -p switch), “ftp -p -v -n satwatcher.us” as I saw this mentioned in another post and got this error:

220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 15 of 150 allowed.
220-Local time is now 14:18. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
331 User [redacted] OK. Password required
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
local: latest.html remote: latest.html
229 Extended Passive Mode Entered (|||35360|)
Passive mode address scan failure.Shouldn't happen!
221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
221 Logout.

The syslog errors I’m getting look like this:

Apr  5 00:07:17 WeewxWeatherServer weewx[6678] DEBUG weeutil.ftpupload: Connected to ftp.satwatcher.us
Apr  5 00:07:17 WeewxWeatherServer weewx[6678] DEBUG weeutil.ftpupload: 0 ./dayradiation.png de3f1218ef30538449b2abc9ef9307dd622c82d61c61bd3a398a5b394a908201
Apr  5 00:07:17 WeewxWeatherServer weewx[6678] ERROR weeutil.ftpupload: Failed uploading /var/www/html/weewx/dayradiation.png to server ftp.satwatcher.us. Reason: '229 Extended Passive Mode Entered (|||33515|)'

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try?

Thanks!

Ken

I had FTP failures with NCH Classic FTP.

Switched to Filezilla and works well.

Black gateway.

Thanks to jayke for his advice. I’ve been really frustrated with this problem. I maintain 3 sites, 2 with one provider and a 3d with another. I had no problem with FileZilla client and these sites with phone company DSL. Switched to TM Home Internet and problems began with the 2 sites but not the other. I would connect, but it was really slow trying to get into directories and would eventually time out with something like “4125 Users connected--too many.” I communicated with my ISP and he had no trouble FTPing to the sites. Finally, I went to the library and used their WiFi and everything worked great. So, it had to be the TM gateway. But I can’t go to the library whenever I need to maintain a site.

Following jayke’s advice just now I tried FileZilla on both sites I maintain and in the Site Manager dialog box’s Transfer Settings tab changed “Transfer Mode” from “Default” to “Active” and everything seems to be working. I can get into directories quickly and upload files.  

I wish TM had a better way to disseminate information like this. Actually, I wish they would FIX THE GATEWAY so it wouldn’t be an issue going forward.

Thanks again, jayke.

Same problem trying to FTP to my web site was not working until I used SFTP. My web site provider only uses SFTP. Everything was  OK after that.

I’m having the same PASV issue with FTP not working through the KVD21.  The security system notifications uses this making this sort of a no-go unless I can find some sort of workaround.  

I have been using T-Mobile 5G internet for 10 days now and haven't been able to use FTP either generic, filezilla nor WinSCP. I use ftp at least twice a month and need this corrected or I will need to return to my slow DSL line with CenturyLink. 

I have been using T-Mobile 5G internet for 10 days now and haven't been able to use FTP either generic, filezilla nor WinSCP. I use ftp at least twice a month and need this corrected or I will need to return to my slow DSL line with CenturyLink. 

I have CenturyLink and never had issues connecting with FTP. Switched to T-Mobile Home internet and immediately couldn’t connect. I maintain about 15 websites so it’s imperative that i get it working. I tried unchecking passive and no go. Finally after using SFTP it works fine. In the server address use: sftp://SERVERIPAddress and it worked perfect. I’m back in business!! It works in Filezilla and also Transmit on Mac. 

Having VPN constantly running is the only way I can make FTP or updates to my website to work. Gotta be a better way.

Who’s your host? I’ve never had to con to upload via ftp

When FTPing I have to use my NordVPN service.  It works without any problems.

Bluehost

When FTPing I have to use my NordVPN service.  It works without any problems.

Unfortunately some websites, especially yahoo mail are being blocked by McAfee VPN. I am constantly turning vpn on and off. T-Mobile needs to up their game as to the capability of their gateways. Totally unconfigurable. I have tried with connected ASUS router but same experience.

Yes I am now, and my HINT worked perfectly for a year. Suddenly nothing works. Filezilla. So I uninstalled, re-installed, nothing. I installed Ctueftp, Coreftp and Cyberduck. Nothing works.

I get the same run around how because of IPV6 has suddenly started to block my connections, HINT will not work. (reminder why did it work flawlessly for a year?)

This is making me angry because TM support claims, it doesn’t work and shouldn’t. But It Did! And support claims nothing has changed on my account. I hate to point out the obvious, but six different ftp connections, that I use weekly, all failed at the same time, same day, last week.

Oh yeah, thanks to other people who point out that ftp is old technology and insecure. Tell the people who I’m forced to communicate with using that and tell me how I’m supposed to manage my own websites?

Someone needs to find a solution, not excuses. Not necessarily blaming TMob but the Internet world changed and anyone using a Gateway is now locked out? I love the gateway, it’s fast, the price is reasonable, the service has been very reliable.

We are rural, no wired Internet, well yes one on copper wire that fails and is slow. Dial-up kind of speeds, expensive, unreliable. One over the air that’s nice but very expensive.