Question

Battery in T Mobile Home Internet Gateway NOK G21

• 2 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Just curious to know what is the purpose of having battery in T Mobile Home Internet Gateway NOK G21. When it is operating on battery, I did not see Wi-Fi available. While exploring happened to see below note in user guide.

NOTE

In the case of total power outage/emergency, the battery provides up to eight hours of power. During battery operation, neither Wi-Fi nor Ethernet connections are supported.

7 replies

This thing is truly a useless piece of garbage. The 4G model was great, but the interface in this thing is totally devoid of any useful features. And just today I found out the thing doesn’t work when running on battery. But why should I complain? I at least got a nice tiny touch screen that indicates when its running on battery and shows the 5G Signal strength. Makes me feel like a dog in a cage with a nice juicy bone laying outside, he can see it, he can smell it but he can’t access it. After adjusting the bi-focals and getting a magnifying glass I can see on the itsy bitsy touch screen that I have a 5G signal, and 99% battery, but alas! It’s all for naught.

Remind me again, why does this thing have a battery? Oh yes! So I can stare at that little touch screen for 8 hours till the battery dies all the while marveling that they can make a touch screen so little and wondering “How large a UPS does APC make?”

This unit will be about as worthless as tits on boar hog when we lose power. The batteries are only for unit staying on while you find best spot. I had a Verizon wireless home internet and once the battery was full it would work without it being plugged into power. I will not recommend this gateway to anyone.it will be worthless in an emergency when we need internet. I live along Texas coast and we can lose power weekly due to bad weather. 

I think it's just to check signal my power is out and I have no internet service. I am on my phone

The battery indicator is showing yellow-red. Does it mean the battery needs to be replaced? I have searched online for the model (BP-18-002350), but no results. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the original design/firmware there was an indicator on the display that helped you aim the device towards the tower it was latching.  Basically, the battery is supposed to allow it to stay connected to the towers so you can move it around your location to better aim it, plug it back up to power and test how it performs, rinse/repeat.

For some reason, this got nixed with TMO’s version.  Hopefully it comes back eventually.

The original firmware it shipped with would not retain settings, but they issued an update to resolve that problem.  Hopefully more important fixes will come with newer updates soon.

That would be awfully helpful to have. Right now it’s a lot of guesswork, finding the best location. FWIW, at my house it absolutely brings in a stronger signal when it’s on the second floor.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

In the original design/firmware there was an indicator on the display that helped you aim the device towards the tower it was latching.  Basically, the battery is supposed to allow it to stay connected to the towers so you can move it around your location to better aim it, plug it back up to power and test how it performs, rinse/repeat.

For some reason, this got nixed with TMO’s version.  Hopefully it comes back eventually.

The original firmware it shipped with would not retain settings, but they issued an update to resolve that problem.  Hopefully more important fixes will come with newer updates soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Currently, it’s so that you can move about locating the most beneficial spot to place the modem. I believe it’s also to help maintain settings, as well.