Question

Brother printer won't connect to KVD21 Gateway

Badge

I just got the latest 5G Gateway, model KVD21 and although I can connect all our cell phones & computers my Brother MFC-J995DW printer won’t connect when I type in the password.

12 replies

My MFC-L271Dw brother printer/scanner will not connect either. it’s stuck on wifi, Looking for WLAN.  it just hangs their

My apple tv pro will connect to wifi but 5 min into watching the signal gets stuck and just hangs. i unplug both the tower and the apple tv, restart, rinse repeat.

nada, nyet, zip

I’m begging to think that switching to Tmobiles 5 G tower was a bad move

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The printer supports  IEEE 802.11b/g/n so it “should” be able to work with the gateway but it would not be the first printer in the community conversations that does not seem to play well with the KVD21. It might help to reset it to defaults and then start again if you have not tried that. If you can locate it where you can use an Ethernet cable that would simplify getting it connected. 

Wireless Network Security 

SSID (32 characters),

WEP 64/128 bit,

WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES),

WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

Badge

Do you have the KVD21 or the Nokia grey tower?  I ask because when I had the Nokia it would just stop and I found that resetting it using the pin hole reset would cause it to re-aquire the tower connection which would make it happy for awhile.  I had hoped that the KVD21 (latest 5G Gateway) would improve the connection………..it doesn’t. It’s a POS like the Nokia.

Badge

iTinkeralot - Thanks for the info.  I kludged an interface by connecting a wifi repeater (that the printer has no problem communicating with) via ethernet cable to the KVD21.  Note that I had several printers and wifi repeaters connected to the Nokia gateway previously with no problems.

This is so stupid.  It shouldn’t be this hard to connect anything with today’s technology.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was looking at a note I made from Nater Tater’s YouTube video which shows the 2.4 GHz radio with WPA2 and AES authentication. His video was showing how to edit the settings, i.e. turn off the WIFI radios in the KVD21. Any way the key point I am trying to make is the “default” for the 2.4 GHz may be WPA2 and AES encryption so making sure to match the GW and printer values could make it work. Using “auto”, if that is an option in the printer might not play well. 

Seems you have a reasonable work around. Well, with older gear and driver issues maybe… things just don’t always play nice. Good you were able to get it working.

I have two brother printers and when I initially set up the internet, I couldn’t get the printers to connect. I did two things - I split the networks into 2.5 and 5Ghz.  You can do this through the admin panel.  This seemed to work, but the printers would not stay connected to wifi, so instead of letting the computer find and install the printer, I actually keyed in the IP address of each printer.  This worked like a charm.  I might be one of the lucky ones, but tmobile internet is faster and more reliable than Fios.  I still have both and will keep both for a month or so, but so far I couldn’t be happier.  I also have no problem with VPN for work.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I went to my printers and used the LED screen to set up the WIFI on my Epson printers and that worked fine. I believe I had tried to allow my MacBook Pro find them and that was not working. The main issue I had was the older Epson workforce 845 was so old it had to have 2.4 GHz with WPA so I had to change the authentication on the 2.4GHz to allow WPA as well. It seems older printers may have some issues with the implementation of 802.11ax on the T-Mobile gateways. Maybe more so with the Arcadyan vs. the Nokia. 

Badge

i had the Nokia and every thing worked except i had to reboot every other day, so they exchanged me with Arcadyan. i don’ have to reboot anymore but, i can no longer connect to my wireless Brpther MFC-L2707DW printer., and i can no longer connect to my Roku TCL TV at 5Ghz. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Roku TLC TV is one I have not had any dealings with but I suggest looking up the specifications for the wireless interface on that and make sure of the authentication type it supports. The gateway frequency must also have that authentication type, of course, to be able to connect.

The printer will probably have to be on the 2.4 GHz frequency alone. You will probably have to add another SSID for 2.4 GHz and join it to that. I really believe in most cases it is the authentication that is not matching but I have suspicions that the band steering of the 802.11ax implementation the router uses just does not play nice with older equipment. Well, the older equipment’s drivers are just not designed to work well with the newer standard and vise-versa. 

If you want to not have to fight with the wireless just use the Ethernet port if you printer is close enough to the gateway. 

IEEE 802.11b/g/n (Infrastructure/Ad-hoc Mode)

IEEE 802.11g/n (Wi-Fi Direct™)

Wireless Network Security 

WEP 64/128 bit, WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)

If you have the inclination check out the conversation, Can't access system settings  I posted information from the Nater Tater YouTube video that provides helpful info to see what is going on with the gateway and how to use the configuration extraction, edit and update to the gateway to make changes needed. Currently it is really only possible to do configuration with the Arcadyan via the mobile application as the web UI does not present the administrative login. This is seen with the newer version of the firmware. 

If you have the technical drive and want to give it a go the info is there. You can also go out and watch his video which is very helpful. That should allow you to get things working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This link will provide visibility to the Arcadyan information: http://192.168.12.1/TMI/v1/gateway?get=all

The attachment I added to that one provides the command strings required to use Nater Tater’s creative hack to do configuration changes to the gateway that are impossible or difficult to do otherwise. Watching the video he made helps out and I recommend checking that out. If you have the Arcadyan gateway that information is very helpful to have.

If you are okay to be limited by the configuration via the mobile application then that is fine too. Keep in mind if you were to make a mistake with the config all you would have to do is reset it to factory default and start over. It will generate a default configuration and you would be good to go again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I solved this by connecting my printer with a cable. I have not had ANY printing problems since doing that. The downside is you can’t AirPrint to the printer, but I don’t use that anyway.

Badge

i solved both problems by connecting my own router. My only problem now is one of my security will on my home network. kind of useless if need to monitor it away from home.