Question

Can't chromecast streaming services on T-mobile Home Internet

• 20 February 2021
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I m having problem casting netflix or youtube or any streaming services on T-Mobile home internet. I had no issues when I was on Cox internet. I've reboot my phone and the chromecast.  I can mirror cast my phone screen but just can't cast any streaming services. Whenever I try to cast it, my tv screen goes dark for a few seconds and then it goes back to the Google chromecast screen saver. Not sure what else to do. Has anyone had this issue? 

28 replies

I am having the same issue. Good thing i have not gotten rid of my other network as it works fine there. 
Have been trying to search the internet for something but so far no luck, as you said i can cast my whole screen but if i want to cast from youTube the sreen just goes black and then says it cannot connect.
This is the second issue i have had, the first was live hulu tv which will not work either (there’s a thread on that if you search)
I am going to keep digging and if I find a fix ill share it here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have occasionally had problems streaming YouTube, Pluto, etc. from my phone to TV. I found by switching from the 5GHz band to the 2,4GHz band seemed to help. Might be worth a try,

Anyone try switching to 2.4 with success?

Hi, 

After removing everything and resetting up my Chromecast from the google home app I was able to get it to work. I can’t recall doing anything differently but i know have youTube casting from my PC again to the Chromecast with no problem.

As a further follow up I wanted to see what would happen if I did a factory reset on the Internet and reset everything up.

I have two Chromecast devices and also factory reset them so everything was fresh.

• Chromecast Ultra - Setup went smoothly, everything said connected. When testing it NOPE! No playback just black screen from PC unless I chose Desktop screen which is not what i want.  youTube from phone came back saying couldn’t connect
  • Chromecast (this one is older) Setup went smoothly, everything said connected. When tested...SUCCESS! worked without a hitch from both phone and PC.  Why this one has no issues and the other does is beyond me.

The only changes i made was taking everything back to factory settings.

With that being said, we won’t go into the nightmare of changing Sonos speakers to a new network is going!  ;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm having no luck either. It was working when I first got the service. Now nothing. I'm getting closer to cancelling this service. Not exactly sure what tmobile expects, but if I really can't watch anything, there's no point 

Userlevel 1

I’ve spent multiple hours on the phone with tmobile, and google. (The first time it took them 6 hours to call me back because I lost my place in line) I can’t get any of my google smart home devices to work with the tmobile modem/router. I factory reset 5 google home devices and reset them up with a mobile hotspot instead of the tmobile internet(suggested by google to troubleshoot) They had no issues and worked fine. After factory resetting those same devices they will not work with T-Mobile’s equipment. This is the second 72 hour ticket I’ve had to put in for this. (The first time (over a month) I never received a call back and the issues never got fixed). If T-mobile is going to charge me for a service that I cannot fully use this is a problem. I had no issue with this issuing my own personal cable modem and router. Even T-Mobile’s iPhone hotpot worked. The tmobile tech said that is new technology...but so far I’m unimpressed. Where’s my compensation for the time I’ve wasted and a service/equipment that doesn’t work properly?

Userlevel 1

Also want to say and I quote from the tmobile tech “you should be getting faster speeds, there is 5G in your area”. I was only getting around a 10-15mbps download rate with a “very good” signal. 

Userlevel 1

Definitely not working for me either, and it’s definitely the T-Mobile equipment. Needs an urgent fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a number of streaming devices connected to T-mobile’s home internet (I have the gray Nokia gateway) and everything seems to work okay when it comes to setting up devices. Here’s a non-comprehensive list:

• Two Google Home Mini (1st gen)
  • Fire TV stick (with Fire OS 5)
  • Fire TV stick lite (with Fire OS 7)
  • Chromecast 4k (latest generation)
  • Roku TV (Westinghouse 50” 4K HDTV)

Most of the problems I have experienced so far are related to the quality of the internet wireless signal, and not with setting up devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had 1st gen chromecast stick. Could Chromecast Disney and Amazon, but not YouTube (just balck screen then back to screensaver) or Netflix. In fact, Netflix app on my phone couldn’t even load content.

Went out and bought brand new Chromecast 3rd gen with Google TV. Couldn’t really get through the setup from my Home app on the phone, and had to do it on screen with the remote and on-screen keyboard. The Google TV on the Chromecast which has streaming apps, like a smart TV, works, but if I try and cast YouTube from my phone or laptop, I get exactly the same results as I had before.

I used an older wifi router to setup a separate wifi network (2.4GHz only) and connected the Chromecast and phone to that and plugged that into T-Mobile trashcan ethernet port. Worked fine, but the older router is too slow for my tastes. So it’s the T-Mobile’s WiFi that’s the problem, not modem part.

I have occasionally had problems streaming YouTube, Pluto, etc. from my phone to TV. I found by switching from the 5GHz band to the 2,4GHz band seemed to help. Might be worth a try,

How did you switch it to 2.4 ghz?. It's only giving me one wifi option

Chromecast Ultra - same issues as everyone else.  I thought I had it fixed my changing to channel 6 and 20mhz, it worked for a while, then tried a week later, no go.  Tmobile please fix this, allow us to a totally open port as well.

Had 1st gen chromecast stick. Could Chromecast Disney and Amazon, but not YouTube (just balck screen then back to screensaver) or Netflix. In fact, Netflix app on my phone couldn’t even load content.

Went out and bought brand new Chromecast 3rd gen with Google TV. Couldn’t really get through the setup from my Home app on the phone, and had to do it on screen with the remote and on-screen keyboard. The Google TV on the Chromecast which has streaming apps, like a smart TV, works, but if I try and cast YouTube from my phone or laptop, I get exactly the same results as I had before.

I used an older wifi router to setup a separate wifi network (2.4GHz only) and connected the Chromecast and phone to that and plugged that into T-Mobile trashcan ethernet port. Worked fine, but the older router is too slow for my tastes. So it’s the T-Mobile’s WiFi that’s the problem, not modem part.

Thanks for posting this, I was about to buy a new Chromecat.

Userlevel 1

I’ve spent multiple hours on the phone with tmobile, and google. (The first time it took them 6 hours to call me back because I lost my place in line) I can’t get any of my google smart home devices to work with the tmobile modem/router. I factory reset 5 google home devices and reset them up with a mobile hotspot instead of the tmobile internet(suggested by google to troubleshoot) They had no issues and worked fine. After factory resetting those same devices they will not work with T-Mobile’s equipment. This is the second 72 hour ticket I’ve had to put in for this. (The first time (over a month) I never received a call back and the issues never got fixed). If T-mobile is going to charge me for a service that I cannot fully use this is a problem. I had no issue with this issuing my own personal cable modem and router. Even T-Mobile’s iPhone hotpot worked. The tmobile tech said that is new technology...but so far I’m unimpressed. Where’s my compensation for the time I’ve wasted and a service/equipment that doesn’t work properly?

I have Chromecast with Google TV, a Nest Mini Speaker, a Home Mini Speaker, a Nest Thermostat, an Echo Dot Speaker, 3 Phillips Hue Smart Bulbs, 4 Geeni Smart Bulbs, 3 Wyze Surveillance Cameras, and 1 Wyze Lock.

Sheesh!

Everything works fine, EXCEPT my devices that have the Google Assistant attached to them. This even includes my Pixel 4 XL.

My Chromecast with Google TV will not let me use the assistant on the home screen. Because this is Google TV I'm not casting from my mobile phone. But I do appear to have connectivity issues using Hulu. Netflix and YouTube seem to stream just fine. In fact once an app has started streaming, the Google Assistant seems to work okay within the app. But for some strange reason when you go back to the Google TV home screen it loses the internet connectivity to use Google Assistant.

I'm experiencing the same problems with my two Google speakers. Every time I use the wake word, the Google Assistant will tell me that there was some type of "glitch" and to wait a few seconds and try again. 

Hey T-Mobile, there's clearly an undiscovered link between Google Assistant and the T-Mobile home internet service. All my other smart products seem to work just fine. But all my Google Assistant products cannot maintain a solid and consistent connection. I've experienced some luck with disconnecting and reconnecting the affected device, but that work around is not consistent.

Sharing what I found to work for me. 

In my case a gen 1 chrome stick would not see the network because I changed encryption to the highest possible which is WPA3. Simply changing to 2.4ghz didn’t help. The key step was to lower  the encryption level. First I changed the name and password for the 2.4ghz network and then I lowered the encryption to WPA2/WPA3 and the chrome stick now sees the network. 

i don’t think you need to actually create a different network but I wanted to make sure that other devices are always connecting to the most secure side so I separated mine. My other devices connect to 5Ghz with WPA3.

Keep in mind that if you do separate the bands with different network name and password, the device you use to control those devices connecting to those networks must be using the same network.

For a laptop that won’t see the wifi network at WPA3 or WPA2 I connected with an Ethernet cable.

So it seems that for devices not seeing the newly installed network, go into the gateway GUI and change to a lower encryption.

Much of this info I also found after the fact in what seems to be a newer version of the gateway guide. Or maybe I just didn’t understand the info the first time I read it because I’m not trained in this stuff. Here’s the guide, see notes on page 25 about older devices: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

i hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sharing what I found to work for me. 

In my case a gen 1 chrome stick would not see the network because I changed encryption to the highest possible which is WPA3. Simply changing to 2.4ghz didn’t help. The key step was to lower  the encryption level. First I changed the name and password for the 2.4ghz network and then I lowered the encryption to WPA2/WPA3 and the chrome stick now sees the network. 

i don’t think you need to actually create a different network but I wanted to make sure that other devices are always connecting to the most secure side so I separated mine. My other devices connect to 5Ghz with WPA3.

Keep in mind that if you do separate the bands with different network name and password, the device you use to control those devices connecting to those networks must be using the same network.

For a laptop that won’t see the wifi network at WPA3 or WPA2 I connected with an Ethernet cable.

So it seems that for devices not seeing the newly installed network, go into the gateway GUI and change to a lower encryption.

Much of this info I also found after the fact in what seems to be a newer version of the gateway guide. Or maybe I just didn’t understand the info the first time I read it because I’m not trained in this stuff. Here’s the guide, see notes on page 25 about older devices: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

i hope this helps.

This is helpful. I have tried most of this except changing or separating the networks. I'm going to mess around with the settings a little more. My old LTE Gateway and mobile hotspot never had an issue with Google Home devices or Chromecast. I may use my tablet hotspot again and connect everything that way until they fix the service and Gateway and make certain features and settings available.

I had the same problem. Casting to TV would freeze. My workaround - plugged in the router I used previously with Xfinity into the T-Mobile gateway, and connected both, Chromecast and laptop to the same router. I have to do the same with my work laptop. It won’t connect to the gateway wifi. I need to connect to the router instead. 

I have the same problem, my 3 google speakers, my new chromecast (with google TV white), and my chromecast audio all stopped working after switching to t-mobile.

I called to change the router advanced settings to chromecast’s recommendations but apparently nobody at t-mobile has access to them, only what shows on the GUI can be changed. there is no way to fix this.

i will have to go back to cox as this T-mobile defect is a dealbreaker to me.

I found a work around. I had another router that I set up to daisychain off the TMobile router. Once I did that, my Chromecast ultra started working fine. It sucks that I have to do this, hopefully TMobile finds a fix.

Does anyone have an update for this? I just got TM home internet this week and all the same problems with Google Home and Chromecast. They’re on the network so they can pull data but other devices can’t find them nor use casting features.  I’m on the latest tower and firmware.

The disappointing part is I’ve had multiple calls with TMO support and they said their engineers do not report seeing any problems here and they are NOT working on a fix.  I said it was all over their own forums so how do we get that going and they only said if a bunch of people call and report tickets.

One guy told me to try and segment the 2.4 and 5ghz networks which I’ve seen mentioned but haven’t had the chance yet. I really wasn’t planning on setting up my own router.

Any updates here since this seems 4-6 months out of date?

Badge

How do you switch to 2.4 ghz? My video doorbell is connected but not recording since it can only connect with 2.4.

This is what I did and it worked: 

I bought a wireless router and hooked it up to the modem and connected my Chromecast through the new router I bought.   Not ideal, and it shouldn't be necessary, but it works great. 

I tried nearly every other solution I could find.  If nothing else works for you,  try this. 

I m having problem casting netflix or youtube or any streaming services on T-Mobile home internet. I had no issues when I was on Cox internet. I've reboot my phone and the chromecast.  I can mirror cast my phone screen but just can't cast any streaming services. Whenever I try to cast it, my tv screen goes dark for a few seconds and then it goes back to the Google chromecast screen saver. Not sure what else to do. Has anyone had this issue? 

I have found the solution, T-Mobile Home internet Round Box emits 2 signals 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, they need to be separated not only by their respective channels, but the names and PASSWORDs need to be different. That's the only way the signals won't bounce and mix.

Once T-Mobile rep told me to do that. It works fine now. I can finally cast from my Galaxy S20 to my Sony Android X1 Android TV with build-in Chromecast, via Google Home App. (Samsung's Smart View does  NOT support direct cast any more :( ...)

I’ve tried all the setting solutions and nothing, guess i’ll have to go the router route, ugh.  Come on Tmobile this should have been fixed already.