Question

Can't chromecast streaming services on T-mobile Home Internet

• 20 February 2021
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I m having problem casting netflix or youtube or any streaming services on T-Mobile home internet. I had no issues when I was on Cox internet. I've reboot my phone and the chromecast.  I can mirror cast my phone screen but just can't cast any streaming services. Whenever I try to cast it, my tv screen goes dark for a few seconds and then it goes back to the Google chromecast screen saver. Not sure what else to do. Has anyone had this issue? 

28 replies

I just hooked up (via ethernet cable) a Netgear wifi extender and chose the access point option, and it works that way. (NETGEAR EX6150-100NAR)

WORKAROUND: Connect your phone to the T-mobile home internet. Turn on the Hotspot feature on your phone. Connect the device that you're casting to your phone's Hotspot. 

I had this same issue recently and realized the exact issue that is preventing you from using Chromecast proficiently on the TMobile Home Internet. When opening the TMobile Internet App, please navigate to “Network” on the bottom bar of the app, select the Wi-Fi Network you are trying to manage and select, “Frequency Band”. Change this setting to 2.5 GHZ, scroll to the bottom of the page, and select apply. Streaming devices cannot run on 5GHZ frequencies and your Chromecast will not make a connection if your Frequency is set to automatic due to the router switching between 2.5 and 5GHZ when needed. Regarding this issue I do think it’s something TMobile needs to look into. It’s extremely unfortunate to have to sacrifice the 5GHZ band in order to run streaming devices. If they added dual band to their routers it would be a beyond exceptional service.