Solved

Can't Chromecast YouTube or Netflix, but can cast Disney and Prime

• 3 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Had 1st gen chromecast stick. Could Chromecast Disney and Amazon, but not YouTube (just black screen then back to screensaver) or Netflix. In fact, Netflix app on my phone couldn’t even load content, never get to where I can cast. If I powered the Chromecast off, Netflix would load content on my phone just fine.

Went out and bought brand new Chromecast 3rd gen with Google TV. Couldn’t really get through the setup from my Home app on the phone because it kept failing. Had to do it on screen with the remote and on-screen keyboard. The Google TV on the Chromecast which has streaming apps works (like a smart TV), but if I try and cast YouTube from my phone or laptop, I get exactly the same results as I had before - blackscreen and timeout.

In desparation, I used an older wifi router to setup a separate wifi network (2.4GHz only) and connected the Chromecast and phone to that and plugged that into T-Mobile trashcan ethernet port for Internet. Worked fine, but the older router is too slow for my tastes. So it’s the T-Mobile’s WiFi that’s the problem, not the modem part.

After waiting over an hour for support, the very nice lady, said, “What cast?, Chromecast? I’ve never heard of that.” She could find nothing about it. Given the number of people with this problem, seems like someone at T-Mobile should be hearing about it.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 7 April 2021, 18:35

Yep, I’m listening. we haven’t seen any known issues with this going on. I suggest resetting the device using the Getting started: T-Mobile LTE Wi-Fi Gateway and going through the setup process again. If this does continue, our Tech Care team can file a Trouble Ticket and send this issue up to our network engineers for further troubleshooting on the backend.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Badge

So happy to see this.  I am having lots of problems with Google devices.  My Nest hub max works and then will go offline.  Like right now, I can’t get it back online.  My home speaker is dead with this router.  Big problem because I am a Google house as are millions of other homes.  I hope Tmobile will see the issue and fix it fast.

Badge

Yes, I’m hoping someone is listening. On other forums, there are many people having Chromecast issues. I ordered a new, separate wifi router. I’m hoping/expecting that will solve the problem. The modem seems fine, it’s the WiFi that has problems. Seems it only wants to connect devices to the Internet but is reluctant to connect devices to each other. Don’t they test this stuff?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yep, I’m listening. we haven’t seen any known issues with this going on. I suggest resetting the device using the Getting started: T-Mobile LTE Wi-Fi Gateway and going through the setup process again. If this does continue, our Tech Care team can file a Trouble Ticket and send this issue up to our network engineers for further troubleshooting on the backend.