Can't connect Google Mini to T-Mobile Home Internet

• 8 February 2021
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've tried every recommendation in the book restarting the "T-Mobile" device, the mini. It will go through the entire process of adding the device and at the very end, after it's verified the connection, it suddenly says it can't connect to the network and fails the addition.

40 replies

I'm trying to access the main settings for the network using 192.168.12.1 but looks like it has different password for the admin, does anyone know the default password? I tried the one under the router already

I’m assuming you selected “System” and it’s asking you to enter admin and a password. The password is the one on the bottom of the gateway. After entering the password, the first screen I come to is one that allows you to change your password to something easier to remember or enter. Do you think you may have done that before and forgot?

I think I changed it because it's not letting me in

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I think I changed it because it's not letting me in

I never even use those extra windows that require a password. The GUI is very limited in terms of custom configuration. Is it something you need to change because you are trying to install an external router or what?

If it’s important and you’re willing to start all over again, I think you can do a factory reset of the gateway by depressing the hole, which is located in the inset panel on the gateway, holding for a time, and then starting all over again with the setup. I think that should allow you to lose your old password that you forgot and start all over again.

My google mini works fine as an individual speaker but it won’t play as a group of speakers (multiple speakers in different rooms). Any known fixes for this? I set up the 2.4 network thinking that would fix it (since that’s how it works with my current ISP) but no dice. Support from Google and TMO can’t really figure it out either. 

My google mini works fine as an individual speaker but it won’t play as a group of speakers (multiple speakers in different rooms). Any known fixes for this? I set up the 2.4 network thinking that would fix it (since that’s how it works with my current ISP) but no dice. Support from Google and TMO can’t really figure it out either. 

I have this same issue. I've tried so many things, including factory resetting all my nest speakers, and they never work in groups, but each works perfectly on it's own. There's something odd going on either with Google or T-Mobile that is keeping speaker groups from working, but I can't find any solution. Does anyone have speaker groups that do work with the home internet gateway?

Actually mine is now all working as it should - Google speaker groups, thermostat, lights etc. Make sure that all of your Google home devices are using the same 2.4ghz band connection and not the 5ghz band that TMobile defaults to. Even if one speaker or device connected to Google home is on a different band then it will throw everything off. This includes your smart phone, tablet, Chromecast and/or Chromebook in my case. Essentially i use the 2.4ghz band for all Google stuff (even though Google claims it works on 5. It does but with caveats). Anything that uses your Google home should be on 2.4ghz. i have wifi bulbs and smart plugs that aren't Google but are controlled by Home so those are on 2.4ghz as well. I use the 5ghz band for everything else...my work VPN, LG TV etc. 

Actually mine is now all working as it should - Google speaker groups, thermostat, lights etc. Make sure that all of your Google home devices are using the same 2.4ghz band connection and not the 5ghz band that TMobile defaults to. Even if one speaker or device connected to Google home is on a different band then it will throw everything off. This includes your smart phone, tablet, Chromecast and/or Chromebook in my case. Essentially i use the 2.4ghz band for all Google stuff (even though Google claims it works on 5. It does but with caveats). Anything that uses your Google home should be on 2.4ghz. i have wifi bulbs and smart plugs that aren't Google but are controlled by Home so those are on 2.4ghz as well. I use the 5ghz band for everything else...my work VPN, LG TV etc. 

Hope your helps

Hope this helps

Thank you for your suggestion, but my speaker groups still won’t function.  I moved all devices to the same 2.4Ghz network, and even deactivated every 5Ghz SSID, and still can only cast to one device at a time.  My gateway has the 1609 firmware, not the newest 0.2103.00.0338 version. Maybe I will try going back to my ASUS router, but the last time I did that in December, my download speeds dropped from well over 100 Mbps to an unusable .7 Mbps. 

I tried a few different things and it finally worked. One of those was building a new group and basically putting everything under the new group. Then deleting the original group. Sorry can't give you the order of things, wasn't tracking bc didn't expect it to work. And adding the new group was a pain. Good luck!

Only thing that has worked for me is to hang another router off the Home Internet box using an ethernet port on the HI can and connect all of my Google devices to one of the SSID’s defined on that (ASUS) device.  I’m using the 5 MHz band and it works ok. Didn’t bother trying 2.4, but it would probably be fine also.  Single google devices worked ok off the Home Internet router, but groups (e.g. speaker groups) would not.  Tried all sorts of “fixes” to no avail.

I finally got my Nest speaker groups to work by using my own router. I factory reset my ASUS router and connected my Nest devices on its 2.4Ghz band. I turned off each 2.4Ghz SSID on the internet gateway, but use it's 5Ghz band for my computers and Chromecast 4k, because the speed is so much greater. I would have preferred to use T-Mobile's internet gateway alone, but it just wouldn't work that way.

So if the answer for everyone else is as simple as it was for me, it's almost blindingly obvious. Make sure you factory reset the Google Home Mini with the tiny round button on the bottom. Hold it for like 30 second, then set it up again. Voila.

This was the answer for me! I am up and running. Thank you so much. Been trying to connect to the mini for 3 months!!

I've tried every recommendation in the book restarting the "T-Mobile" device, the mini. It will go through the entire process of adding the device and at the very end, after it's verified the connection, it suddenly says it can't connect to the network and fails the addition.

So, I had the same problem, but here is how I got it to work. I RESET all my google minis to factory reset. Then I erased ALL of my homes. I started from scratch with all a new home and devices on my network. Then it worked like a charm. 

I also tried most of the suggested fixes and none worked for me, so I deleted and reinstalled the google home app. Then I setup a home in Google home and connected a none google device that was working on my T-Mobile WI-FI in this case a robot vacuum. Now that my Google home had a device associated to T-Mobile Wi-Fi, I was able to connect Google mini and Google home speaker,

I have gotten Google Home hub, google mini and camera all works. The way to solve your problem is to go on T-Mobile internet app and hide your first net work set up which is 5ghz frequency that will interfere your devices. Only keep the net work with 2.4ghz frequency.