Cancelling T-Mobile Home Internet Service

• 3 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I’m a very happy T-Mobile Magenta Plus customer.  While upgrading our iPhones the other day, I decided to add T-Mobile’s Home Internet service.  It looked like I’d get better speeds and save some money compared to Spectrum.  I live on Maui, so there are not a lot of Internet alternatives.  Setting up the grey “can” was easy, and though I had 3 bars out of five, I got about 35 Mbps on an Internet speed test.  I noticed that lag time was significant when loading streaming video (YouTube, Netflix or Prime).  Hulu did not want to work and I had to call Hulu to get them to recognize my new IP address.  

On the first full evening of service we were watching a movie and it came to a screeching halt.  I called T-Mobile’s service (they are always very good) and was informed that a cell tower went down and all of the added traffic on my tower had slowed it down.  About 30 minutes later service came back.

Today, using the service all day, I noticed terrible lag times loading streaming services as well as random slowdowns (.3 Mbps?  Really?).  I am going back to Spectrum.  Even though it is nearly twice the price, at least their Internet service is stable and speeds are way better.  I hate to say it, but 5G Home Internet Service is not ready for prime time.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@KiheiRob sorry to hear about the service. It may help trying to move the unit around to see if theres a place in your house where you get ideal signal. We have a few additional steps you can try on our Slow or no internet: T-Mobile Home Internet page. I do hope we can give it another shot and keep you with us.

Badge

Thanks, Mike.  I moved the unit to three different places in my house, and it was three bars (out of five) everywhere.  You don’t offer an external antenna, so this was the best I could do.  The bigger issue is the quality of service varies based on network congestion, and there is only so much capacity available on wireless bandwidth, certainly nothing like the fiber connections or even coaxial. 

Although the Home Internet service is a big fail for me, I still love T-Mobile’s cellular service, plans, and approach to the marketplace.  Please keep up the good work!  

Same sentiment here.  I’ve been a happy T-Mobile mobile phone customer for a few years now.  I used to have AT&T before T-Mobile.   T-Mobile has been great (the phone service and the company in general), especially compared to AT&T.   So when I heard about T-Mobile offering Home Internet service, I was eager to switch over.  Unfortunately, after using the service for a few months, I have to say T-Mobile Home Internet is just not ready for prime time.   I hate to go back to Spectrum, but T-Mobile is not a viable option right now.  Here are my problems with T-Mobile Home Internet:

1. The modem does not have a bridge mode option.  Therefore, I can’t fully utilize my router, which means no port forwarding, no dynamic DNS, no VPN on the whole network....  Many of my devices at home can’t work correctly while on T-Mobile Home Internet.  
  2. The internet speed is inconsistent.  I get 4 bars at my location all the time, but even so, the internet speed fluctuates wildly.  I noticed the worst was usually around 5pm-8pm.  The download speed can dip down to 10Mbps or slower (see below speed test result).  When the internet speed is terrible, videos become pixelated or even freeze while streaming.  How about online gaming? Forget about it. I have more fun banging my head against my desk.    

Too bad, I have high hopes for 5G.  For now Spectrum is still the only option in my area…. sigh….

I’m here in wailuku. I just got the service 2 months ago. I got tired of spectrum. My contract was almost up and they were going to charge me another $25 a month . My rate would be $73. ( for 200mbs) With t mobile I’m receive  at least 250 mbs. It usually stays around 300-350. Not bad. Only thing is the gray unit I have gets really hot. Like really hot. I’m going to try and get a replacement. Other than that I’m pretty happy…