Solved

Cannot access my Gateway at 192.168.12.1

• 20 March 2022
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Using my VAIO SX14 Windows 10 Pro Laptop:

I cannot access my Gateway at 192.168.12.1. Network trouble shooting says “You computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (192.168.12.1) is not responding”.

and “Security or Firewall settings might be blocking the connection”

Also I can no longer access any of my networked PCs or access this laptop from any of my PCs.

Can anyone suggest how I could fix this?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by mb300e4m 23 March 2022, 17:50

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Other PCs on my network are OK and can access each other but cannot connect to my VAIO laptop.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I cannot access my Gateway at 192.168.12.1. Network trouble shooting says “You computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (192.168.12.1) is not responding”.

Also I can no longer access any of my networked PCs or access this laptop from any of my PCs.

Other PCs on my network are OK and can access each other but cannot connect to my VAIO laptop.

Your Vaio laptop must be connected to your T-Mobile gateway first, either by WiFi or ethernet cable, before 192.168.12.1 will respond.

Your T-Mobile gateway’s SSID and network password must be entered correctly on your laptop, before the laptop can successfully connect to the gateway.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Your Vaio laptop must be connected to your T-Mobile gateway first, either by WiFi or ethernet cable, before 192.168.12.1 will respond.

Your T-Mobile gateway’s SSID and network password must be entered correctly on your laptop, before the laptop can successfully connect to the gateway.

No kidding Tom. It is CONNECTED, I can open dozens of web pages, do e-mails and so on. I do know the SSID and PASSWORD for the gateway, I have been using it long enough. I can connect to the gateway from my desktop PC and another laptop using the SSID and PASSWORD, but NOT from my VAIO. My other machines can communicate with each other but not with the VAIO and vice versa.

A good try but how about another suggestion, please. The failure has nothing to do with SSIDs or passwords. Something on the VAIO is preventing the connection and networking to my other machines. Here’s a couple of pics for you to chew on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would rule out the Windows Firewall first thing. If you disable the firewall, as a test, then you can see if it is blocking the connection to the gateway. I suggest using “Control Panel” to deal with the firewall. Press the Windows start key, type control panel and then select the firewall. I use Bitdefender’s security suite so I avoid the W10 firewall myself. If you have at one point or another in time changed FW settings on the laptop restore the defaults and see if that helps. 

If you temporarily disable the firewall to test; open a command window and ping 192.168.12.1 with a continuous ping. i.e. [ping -t 192.168.12.1] If the GW responds enable the FW again. If the ping continues then try to web into the router from the client. Another test is to ping the subnet broadcast address, 192.168.12.255 and then look at the ARP table. Issue the command arp -a and see what the client has learned of the other clients on the network. Determine for sure the IPv4 and IPv6 status of the client with the command ipconfig /all. I run a dual stack IPv4 & IPv6 and I have no issues with the Nokia gateway on MAC OS, Linux or Windows 10 Pro so I suggest to run both in the IP stack. Compare the settings for a working client to the laptop client. See if there are different settings.

If you can't ping the router with the FW up or down this is a curious issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The objectives from the commands are to determine what the computer IP information reports. If turning off the firewall allows the pings to pass I would speculate a config issue. The ping of the broadcast address should populate the client’s ARP table with the IP addresses of other active clients on the network segment. Looking at the full IP configuration via the command line will provide a full view of the IPv4 and IPv6 information from the client. If you see an IP address on one of the clients that is the same as the laptop then a duplicate IP address would be a problem. I will assume you are using DHCP to obtain an address for the laptop so I would not expect the DHCP server to serve up the same address. You can use the command line to release and renew the IPv4 address. issue the command ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig/renew. If you want to do the same with IPv6 just add a 6 to the release/renew (i.e. release6 / renew6)

Another thing to consider is the Windows update status. I have seen my Windows clients behave poorly when updates are pushed in and a reboot does not take place to complete the installation. it may not be apparent 100% the status of updates so I would check this as well. 

You state, “I can no longer access any of my networked PCs or access this laptop from any of my PCs.”  I can see from your screen clips that it is a “private network” so I would not expect a sharing issue but determining the client’s full network interface configuration is important. Look at the details of the network connection before resetting the network connection and then again after doing so. If resetting the network connection does not help look at the driver for the NIC and use another client to determine if there is a newer network device driver. 

Also check the “Privacy Settings” and determine if there is some setting that if altered on the laptop that other clients do not have. I doubt that it is a privacy setting but checking for what is different/same is always a good data point. If the issue impacts both a wireless and wired ethernet connection my biggest suspicion is the firewall. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks very much for the information, I did PING the gateway and it failed. I have made another discovery today. The problem is broader than just the gateway access, I can no longer access any of my networked machines or access this laptop from any of my Laptops/PCs. I pinged those too and they failed as well. My Dell PC and my Sony Laptop which I could access before I went away can still access each other, but neither of them can access my VAIO SX14 laptop and vice versa.

I have check all of the settings on the SX14 and even compared them to those on the Dell PC, they all look the same. But the SX14 will not connect (Map) to anything else. When I try the only thing that shows up in the mapping browse window is the SX14.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I undid the most recent Windows 10 update, it made no difference. So I reinstalled it.

I also killed my firewall, malware software and my VPN, but to no avail.

I shall try the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew later today and report back with my findings.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Here is the result of running ipconfig /all command:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1586]

(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VAIOSX14

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : CC-30-80-3B-A0-ED

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek USB GbE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3C-18-A0-42-C5-99

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-CE-3A-62-D7

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NordLynx Tunnel

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-FB-2A-84-66

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D6-1B-81-37-AF-0D

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E6-1B-81-37-AF-0D

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-1B-81-37-AF-0D

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.68.105(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 3:18:50 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 5:18:50 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.68.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.68.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.12.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-1B-81-37-AF-0E

C:\Windows\system32>

Release and renew will be next.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Here is release and renew:

^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 4 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 2 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 3 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 1 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   ^   

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 4 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 2 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 3 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 1 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.

An error occurred while renewing interface Wi-Fi : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.

C:\Windows\system32>

Do you have a router connected to your gateway? What are those 192.168.68.xx IP addresses? If you’re connected to a router which is giving out 192.168.68.xx IP addresses you will not be able to reach the gateway at 192.168.12.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Now that is curious. You have the firewall up or down? Odd that it was not working with the IP address but does not renew the IP address from the DHCP server on the router. I looked up the wireless driver and found a hit on it right away. The information is via the link below.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fixed-qualcomm-atheros-qca61x4a-driver-issues-in-windows-10/

One other thing you might try is using an ethernet cable and plug the client direct to the router on one of the ethernet ports. If it can communicate out the Realtek interface this would be good to know. If not again I would disable the firewall and give it another try on the Ethernet port. This still might be something to do with the WIFI NIC driver. That it is an 802.11ac NIC it should be able to leverage both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Has it worked with the Nokia router since you started using the T-Mobile solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

gpmaz - Good catch on the 192.168.68.105 address. It does appear that the client had an IPv4 address from another source. Now that is odd that it has the IP on the wrong subnet but sees the 192.168.12.1 DNS server. No way it will work picking up the IP address on the wrong subnet. That other DHCP server has to be disabled or it can mess up other clients.

iTinkeralot, It looks to me that he has a second DNS server pointed to 192.168.68.1. It that’s the case he’s likely not actually seeing the 102.168.12.1 DNS server. Far from an expert, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My guess is that he plugged a router into the T-Mobile router, as you speculated, and it served the 192.168.12.1 DNS server up on its ethernet segment as the DNS server. No way clients on the second broadcast domain can ever be routed out and back as the T-Mobile router will never know of the ethernet segment on the other side of the other router. In effect he needs to turn that to bridge mode and disable the DHCP server or just shut the old router down. Unless there is a demand for expansion of the wireless to try to cover more area the best solution is to just go with the T-Mobile router. The second router would have the double NAT solution and well that could cause issues as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From the IP config data we can see:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.12.1 & 192.168.68.1 so the 192.168.68.1 router must have picked up on the other DNS server from the T-Mobile router. Regardless clients on the 192.168.68.xx/24 segment are hosed. They can only talk to others on that segment so this makes sense now. The outside address WAN interface is probably on the ethernet of the T-Mobile router so it is on 192.168.12.x/24 on its WAN interface I would bet. 

I have a router plugged into my gateway. My 2 main computers, my printer and NAS are connected to the router. All other devices, cameras, streaming devices, phones, tablets, TVs etc are connected to the gateway. In my mind that separates the computers and NAS (which I don’t stream from) from all the devices I don’t really trust. I have a third computer which I rarely turn on which connects to the gateway should I ever need to access anything else including the gateway GUI. Seems to work fine for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So, do you run the same WIFI SSID and wireless security on both with WIFI radios active on both devices? I don’t think we have the full picture of what has been done in his situation. Not yet at any rate. 

In your case your clients on the T-Mobile segment talk to one another and to the internet but unless the backend segment is advertised to the other side the clients would not be aware of it. A client from the internet could never reach into that back end segment as the T-Mobile router has no advertisement of the backend segment from your router. You would need static routing or a dynamic routing protocol on both routers so they could share routing information. I could see clients going out but nothing from the outside could initiate a conversation with one of those clients as it could not be found from the internet.

No, different SSID on the router. Devices on the gateway can’t see devices connected to the router and vice versa. 

I could accomplish the same thing by using a guest network on the router but I get marginally faster speeds connected to the gateway and since I really don’t want to go to the trouble of completely shutting off the Wifi on the gateway this approach seems simpler. Also not a gamer and no port forwarding, so the double NAT thing doesn’t seem to pose a problem. That is of course until someone like yourself who very likely knows more about this than I do comes along and points out to me that I’m wrong. Sure wouldn’t be the first time.

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Hopefully your PC is attached to a router and all you need to do is switch to the gateway’s 191.168.12.xx network and you should have access. If you don’t have a router attached to the gateway I’m at a loss as to where that other network is coming from.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

After a lot of investigation, I uninstalled the VPN and I can now access my gateway 192.168.12.xx

My guess is that he plugged a router into the T-Mobile router, as you speculated, and it served the 192.168.12.1 DNS server up on its ethernet segment as the DNS server. No way clients on the second broadcast domain can ever be routed out and back as the T-Mobile router will never know of the ethernet segment on the other side of the other router. In effect he needs to turn that to bridge mode and disable the DHCP server or just shut the old router down. Unless there is a demand for expansion of the wireless to try to cover more area the best solution is to just go with the T-Mobile router. The second router would have the double NAT solution and well that could cause issues as well. 

My TMHI Gateway is the router, it is an integral part of a single “box”

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK so that explains the other IP address obtained while in the VPN tunnel. If you are in the VPN tunnel sure you would not be able to access the local gateway address. It makes sense. Good, you have it figured out. I also have the T-Mobile home internet router so I know the beast. Some users try to use their prior router with the T-Mobile router and don’t or can't put them in bridge mode and forget about the second DHCP server related to the other device. 

Good, you are working! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Tinker,

What “OLD” router are you referring to? Also the mesh router is to expand the coverage area. The only thing plugged into the Ethernet port on the TMOB Gateway (Modem/Router) is one of the Mesh units.

BTW, who is the “He” in the first line of your post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sorry if you are offended, no intention to do so. Was just trying to offer suggestions and help determine what was going on. The “he” would have been referring to the original author of the conversation, you. When gpmaz and I bantered back and forth trying to determine what was going on to try to offer suggestions that could help all the “specific details” of your solution were not clear. I supposed to be clear I should have inserted mb300e4m instead of “he”. When the address 192.168.68.105 was exposed in the address data there were a few ways that could take place. Another router with a DHCP server or say a VPN which would account for a different IP address than the local network. If the mesh “router” has no DHCP server running that should not cause a problem. Of course with the VPN tunnel up that makes sense to have the client with the IP on the VPN. If not in a split tunnel it would make sense that local resources would be isolated from the VPN tunnel connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks Tinker, no offence taken, I figured the “he” was me.

There was some discussion about bridge mode, but I know little about that.

It “might” all be a moot point, T-Mob “could” give me a static IP address, but that depends on a couple of things such as IP address location as in what physical locale; one up country or even just outside of my TV broadcast DMA would be as bad as what I have now, and of course the monthly cost of a static IP address.

Stay safe.

Badge

To Turn off WIFI on T-Mobile gateway.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

To Turn off WIFI on T-Mobile gateway.

Thanks, but why would I want to turn off my WiFi on the router? That is how I communicate with the trashcan.