Question

Chamberlain garage openers can't connect once again

Userlevel 1
Badge

Both of the my garage door openers stopped connecting to the internet 23 hours ago.  This issue happened a couple of months and was resolved about 3 weeks ago but it has started up again.

The issue is the TMobile 5g gateway is blocking the port the garage door openers use to connect to the Chamberlain portal.

Please fix it or I am gone.

The other that started 2 days ago is my internet connection on my devices drops every 1-2 hours for about 10 minutes.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The only way to fix your issue is to get a router and plug it into your T-Mobile gateway.

This problem took two weeks to figure out.  It was confirmed by the last engineer I spoke to at Chamberlin.   Your garage door opener wants to shake hands with a router.  Your T-Mobile gateway signals I am a cell phone and this is my number ### ### ####.  The garage opener says no thank you.

I have T-Mobile and I hooked up  an Orbi with the garage door and immediately all the issues disappeared

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The only way to fix your issue is to get a router and plug it into your T-Mobile gateway.

This problem took two weeks to figure out.  It was confirmed by the last engineer I spoke to at Chamberlin.   Your garage door opener wants to shake hands with a router.  Your T-Mobile gateway signals I am a cell phone and this is my number ### ### ####.  The garage opener says no thank you.

I have T-Mobile and I hooked up  an Orbi with the garage door and immediately all the issues disappeared

That would indicate that whoever you spoke to did not give you accurate information. Adding a router to your TMO does not change the IP address of your router so the theory about phone number is not true. Additionally, I have had no problems with both my Chamberlain Wifi openers. I think by adding the router, all you did was refresh the IP address and that solved the problem. You could have done the same thing by disconnecting your Chamberlain, then setting it back up again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

According to what Chamberlain documentation shows it should only connect to the 2.4 GHz radio band. It would be helpful to know the 2.4 GHz signal strength in the garage to be sure that is broadcast strong enough for the opener controller to maintain a hold on the signal. If you have a network scanner on your cell phone it would be good to check the signal strength out there. Maybe something has been put into the garage that now impairs the signal delivery? When things work and then don’t sometimes a change to the environment is not apparent but becomes a part of the equation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Who will I could tell you is the resolution given to me worked I’ve been using my T-Mobile for about eight months I’ve never been happier with it my garage door will open and close wherever I am I could be out of the country I can open and close the door. I can never do it before I put the additional router. I don’t understand why people love to trace their tails & go round and round.  I find an answer and I move on from it. I will be very hesitant to help anyone.  It seems no good D goes unpunished. Good luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Who will I could tell you is the resolution given to me worked I’ve been using my T-Mobile for about eight months I’ve never been happier with it my garage door will open and close wherever I am I could be out of the country I can open and close the door. I can never do it before I put the additional router. I don’t understand why people love to trace their tails & go round and round.  I find an answer and I move on from it. I will be very hesitant to help anyone.  It seems no good D goes unpunished. Good luck.

The questions on your solution is because it is an expensive way to try solve it. There is no reason why TMO router should block any communications from your garage door opener to the Chamberlain web servers. As long as you are satisfied with your solution that’s great, but I personally wouldn’t recommend people go out and buy another wifi router just to solve this issue unless their 2.4G signal is too weak to connect to the routers. However the thread starter clearly said it was working without an additional router until recently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It is curious how sometimes a solution works for one user and not for another. Sometimes there are external influences that change the equation it seems. I have a Lift Master garage door opener but I really don’t have any desire to have it connected to the internet. If an additional router is connected properly so the communication is resolved that is just as good as any in my mind. Getting a strong stable 2.4GHz signal to the garage door opener is the main thing. If the Chamberlain components have an issue with the T-Mobile gear using another router that does not have a cellular radio on the other side of the GW interface makes sense to me given the T-Mobile GW offering the cell number. Maybe others that look for answers can find some clues in the conversation that helps  them get the issue resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Per Chamberlain Information: (Hub connection to WIFI)

“Verify inbound and outbound TCP port 8883 is open. Verify the port is not being blocked by your router or a firewall product. Not having this port open will cause the myQ Wi-Fi product to not connect to the server.” 

https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/Recommended-router-settings-for-the-MyQ-Wi-Fi-products-1484145723404

If T-Mobile’s gateway firewall settings block TCP port 8883 then that would be a problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It is curious how sometimes a solution works for one user and not for another. Sometimes there are external influences that change the equation it seems. I have a Lift Master garage door opener but I really don’t have any desire to have it connected to the internet. If an additional router is connected properly so the communication is resolved that is just as good as any in my mind. Getting a strong stable 2.4GHz signal to the garage door opener is the main thing. If the Chamberlain components have an issue with the T-Mobile gear using another router that does not have a cellular radio on the other side of the GW interface makes sense to me given the T-Mobile GW offering the cell number. Maybe others that look for answers can find some clues in the conversation that helps  them get the issue resolved.

I have one Chamberlain garage opener that is about 7 yrs old and I have one that is 2 years old. Both work fine directly connected to my TMO router’s 2.4 GHz wireless so there is nothing on the TMO router that is preventing anything. I had both Nokia and Arcadyn and no problem with either. I do separate my 2.4G and 5G networks with different SSIDs.

Having said that, you linked to a hub that is a separate device that just mimics the remote garage door openers via wireless control so I have no idea if that works with TMO routers or not.

Technically speaking, there is no distinction between a router’s IP that is from a cable modem versus 5G/LTE modem. What is different is that geolocation of those IPs. On a cable modem, it generally matches the area that your modem is physically installed. On a 5G/LTE modem, it can be very far from your physical area.

The problem with Chamberlain could be that it uses geolocation as a way to register the opener to its’ app servers. I could see a situation where you had it working on your cable modem, then you changed to a TMO router which showed an IP that was not in the same geolocation as when registered. If that is what the problem is, it is a simple matter of removing the openers from the web app, then re-adding them as new garage door openers. This would update the geolocation.