Question

Changing wifi username and password

Badge

Want to change username and password from the defaults. How do I do that ?

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Want to change username and password from the defaults. How do I do that ?

http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/network/wifi-networks/2.4Ghz

Select SSID To Configure = SSID1

SSID Name = (your new WiFi name)

WPA Key = (your new password)

Click “Save Changes” button

http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/network/wifi-networks/5Ghz

Select SSID To Configure = SSID5

Select SSID To Configure = SSID9

To change admin password:

http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/system

Click “Change Password” button

OK, none of those work.. how do I find my Wifi Password? Looks like it changed and I didn’t write it down arrrrgggh

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

OK, none of those work.. how do I find my Wifi Password? Looks like it changed and I didn’t write it down arrrrgggh

On the web interface (http://192.168.12.1/), you can view the Wi-Fi SSID password through Network, Wi-Fi Networks, 2.4GHz/5Ghz, and click the eye on the WPA Key to expose the password.

If you don’t know your admin password, you might have to factory reset your gateway, then use the default password that is on the label attached to the bottom of the gateway.

The following manual, page 31, explains how to do the factory reset:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

If you unplug your gateway from the wall outlet it will automatically go back to the default settings on bottom of gateway. Remember,if you ever unplug it or the power goes off even with the battery in it, it will still go back to default settings. So if you change your wifi password to like myhomeaddressbackwards when it is unplugged it will go back to default eg.acdb345cd and you will have to change it back to the new password that you wanted.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If you unplug your gateway from the wall outlet it will automatically go back to the default settings on bottom of gateway. Remember,if you ever unplug it or the power goes off even with the battery in it, it will still go back to default settings. So if you change your wifi password to like myhomeaddressbackwards when it is unplugged it will go back to default eg.acdb345cd and you will have to change it back to the new password that you wanted.

This is totally FALSE.

If you unplug or power off the gateway nothing is lost it comes up the same with same SSID’s you set same passwords.

If mfarrow47 is losing programming they should call support to have their gateway replaced.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is totally FALSE.

If you unplug or power off the gateway nothing is lost it comes up the same with same SSID’s you set same passwords.

If mfarrow47 is losing programming they should call support to have their gateway replaced.

I agree that this is incorrect information for normal operation  as the gateway does not normally reset to defaults when unplugged  

t

Well I wish that I could agree with you about the gateway not resetting back to default after being unplugged from the outlet. Like I stated that I would try it again, actually I tried it 3 additional times with the same thing happening again. I then called I. T. at TMobile and was told that unfortunately the units would reset to default automatically, l then reached out to my Facebook family and asked them the same question if anyone had a gateway and the response that I was given was overwhelmingly leaning in my direction. So, one more time this afternoon I am going to meet with two other gateway users and be present when theirs is unplugged and to see if it happens to them with me being present. It is rather odd that it is happening, however, I really don't mind it for I can keep the default password without it creating a problem for me. I am absolutely happy with my gateway,. It's user friendly, it doesn't buffer with 13 devices connected and running at the same time and my dl speed is always running around 189 or way better, and the upload runs in the39 to mid 40' s easily with the wifi range extending way beyond my property line and still able to pick it up over 100 to 150 yards through the trees to river at the edge of my property and still having the signal bounce from 1 bar to 2 bars. I'm very impressed and happy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Well I wish that I could agree with you about the gateway not resetting back to default after being unplugged from the outlet. Like I stated that I would try it again, actually I tried it 3 additional times with the same thing happening again. I then called I. T. at TMobile and was told that unfortunately the units would reset to default automatically, l then reached out to my Facebook family and asked them the same question if anyone had a gateway and the response that I was given was overwhelmingly leaning in my direction. So, one more time this afternoon I am going to meet with two other gateway users and be present when theirs is unplugged and to see if it happens to them with me being present. It is rather odd that it is happening, however, I really don't mind it for I can keep the default password without it creating a problem for me. I am absolutely happy with my gateway,. It's user friendly, it doesn't buffer with 13 devices connected and running at the same time and my dl speed is always running around 189 or way better, and the upload runs in the39 to mid 40' s easily with the wifi range extending way beyond my property line and still able to pick it up over 100 to 150 yards through the trees to river at the edge of my property and still having the signal bounce from 1 bar to 2 bars. I'm very impressed and happy.

Maybe you have a bad unit and if others are having the same issue they have bad units too.

I think you would agree that if you lose all programming by turning off the gateway there is something wrong as this is not normal in any way.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Honestly, the easiest way to change the SSIDs and passwords is to use the T-Mobile Home Internet app.

Honestly, the easiest way to change the SSIDs and passwords is to use the T-Mobile Home Internet app.

This is the way to go. I initially went to the app before coming to the forum and it was at the very begin “setup” phase. I thought, well I’ve already done that. So I tried all these other suggestion and when they didn’t work, went back and started over with setup. It worked perfectly. Thanks!

I just spoke with customer support and they gave me : http://192.168.1.1/

That worked for me!