Question

Connect Brother DCP-L2540DW printer to tmobile Home WiFi

Badge

Has anyone else successfully connected their Brother DCP-L2540DW printer to tmobile Home WiFi? I am able to connect to the correct SSID, but when I run the printer’s setup software, it cannot find the printer on the network. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Has anyone else successfully connected their Brother DCP-L2540DW printer to tmobile Home WiFi? I am able to connect to the correct SSID, but when I run the printer’s setup software, it cannot find the printer on the network. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I was able to connect an older Brother printer to the gateway with no problems.

However, it might have been successful because I had dumbed down the 2.4GHz Transmission Mode to “n/g” from the default “Auto (ax/g)” so an older laptop could connect.

Badge

Okay, I was successful using the Brother printer setup software, but instead of selecting the option to set up via wireless network connection, I had to connect my computer to the printer via USB cable. After setting it up that way, I was able to remove the USB cable, and now the printer is visible.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I had problems because I had increased the security level of the WPA. When I dumbed that back down then connecting was fine. Also, you need to connect to the 2.4 GHz network.

I have the exact same printer and could never connected it wi-fi….and the gateway settings always reset when I try to “dumb-down” the transmission mode. I could connect it wired first like the others suggested, but I also print with my mobile phone, which cannot be set up that way. 

Anyone found other solutions to this?

BTW...I still have my old internet modem that I have yet to let go and that one connected everything just fine, so I know it’s not the printer or the other devices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I reset my Brother printer to try to get my iOS devices connected. Now I can’t print wireless at all. I will contact Brother today. Wish me luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I was able to get my Brother printer printing and connected to my iOS devices without a call to Brother. If your Brother is similar to my HL-L2360 with a small display and a few buttons, then don't punish yourself by trying to connect to WiFi using that insanely horrible interface. Find and download their Wireless Device Setup Wizard (I have a Mac, I don't know if there is similar Windows software). Search for brother printer setup wizard download.

1) I reset the network on my Brother printer. I don't know if this is necessary or not. To do this you need to find the steps for the buttons to push. Don't try to figure it out with the keypad. You will get stuck printing test pages and trying to connect to WiFi. I did say it's an insanely horrible interface, didn't I!

2) I booted the Wireless Device Setup Wizard on my Mac. I connected the printer to my Mac with a USB printer cable. Then I followed the steps in the wizard and completed the setup, but when I disconnected the USB cable the wireless connection to my printer failed. I tried to "Add a printer" in the Mac System Preferences, but my Mac saw no printer.

3) This morning my Gateway lost its internet connection. Please T-Mobile fix this, and I do have the latest firmware which I was told: "would fix all the problems". I rebooted the Gateway.

4) Before my planned call to Brother this morning I figured I would try again. Low and behold my Brother appeared in the available printer list as a Bonjour printer and I could add it. Now it prints wirelessly from my Mac.

5) Then I tried printing from my iPhone. Sure enough, it sees the printer and it prints.

Conclusion: It appears that upon resting the Brother WiFi setup the next step is to reboot the Gateway. Good luck and let us know if you can refine the steps for this fix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I factory reset my gateway today hoping it would fix my three times a day dropped internet connection. Things got much worse since doing the firmware update 1609. No improvement there, but my Brother does connect wireless now.

Update: Just a few hours later and two restarts of the gateway, it still connects, but it takes forever now.

Just plug it into your router with an ethernet cable.   I tried to set Brother without the cable and I could connect initially, but afterwards it was always “Printer is Offline”.   So annoying because i tried that a few times.  Once you plug it in to your routher via the ethernet, you can find your printer through IP address.     

Badge +1

Thanks to @MisterK for posting about the wireless setup utility, that is way easier than using the interface on the printer.

I was finally able to get the printer working with the T-mobile internet by doing the following:

Using 2.4 GHz

Using WPA/WPA2 (TKIP+AES)

using n/g.

There may be some other configs that work, but that worked for me.

I was also able to connect to my personal router wireless. However, I am not using Bridge Mode, I have it in router mode (I need a W-Fi network with parental controls for my kids). The problem with this is that I need to also point my computer to this Wi-Fi in order to print, but I prefer to stay on the T-Mobile Wi-Fi.

Badge

Go change security setting to only WPA only. Printers can't connect with T-Mobile factory settings.  Happy printing hopefully.