Copatiible Wifi Extender with the TMobile 5G Internet Gateway?

Badge

I am looking for recommendations on the best Wi-Fi extender for the 5G home Gateway.  I have both a TP Link RE 220 and a Netgear EX3700.  They both fail to connect due to MAC address issues… even though they work fine with my current modem/router.  I am looking to move away from my Xfinity service but need a Wi-Fi extender in my garage to connect some of my outdoor enabled devices.  Thanks!

Cali Cat 1 year ago

OK and thanks again.  Can you recommend a new WiFi extender that works well with TOM.  I am running short on time.

Sorry no, I don’t use wifi extenders since those cut bandwidth in half and doesn’t pass devices seamlessness as mesh does. That’s the only recommendation I can give you is go full mesh system. It’s more expensive but it works much better. I can confirm Asus ZenWifi XT8 works fine in both AP and DHCP mode. I used this back with cable so it wasn’t a new expense for me when switching to TMO.

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If these are still working on your old network then that means the devices are likely using the old IP addresses and may even be static. Your old network is likely not on the same subnet as TMO gateway so you can try to factory reset your extenders and setup as new with TMO gateway. Another complication could be that TMO gateway combines by 5 and 2.4 ghz bands into one SSID and you will need to confirm if your extenders support that. If not, you need to manually separate the bands into 2 separate SSIDs using the web UI or TMI app. Also note that TMO gateway does not support WPS so you will need to setup the extenders with whatever app or web UI interface they have.

Badge

Thanks Cali Cat.  I have done the factory reset on both devices with the same result.  I am not using WPS …. am using the app from each supplier to them set up.  They accept the same SSID and PW for the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz bans separately ….  that doesn’t seem to be the issue.  The error message asks if the router utilizes an Access Control List and if it does it gives the MAC address to enter.  I tried to resolve with TMO customer service but got no real help. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thanks Cali Cat.  I have done the factory reset on both devices with the same result.  I am not using WPS …. am using the app from each supplier to them set up.  They accept the same SSID and PW for the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz bans separately ….  that doesn’t seem to be the issue.  The error message asks if the router utilizes an Access Control List and if it does it gives the MAC address to enter.  I tried to resolve with TMO customer service but got no real help. 

That indicates that the TMO router is not passing back an IP address. Since there is no ACL feature on the TMO router, there is some other compatibility and or setup issue you are having.

You might want to try using ethernet to your extender and try AP mode to see if that works. If it does, then you definitely know the wifi to wifi connection in extender mode is the problem - security standard, wifi standard, etc.

I personally use a mesh system connected via ethernet to the TMO gateway and it works both in AP and  DHCP mode.

Badge

OK and thanks again.  Can you recommend a new WiFi extender that works well with TOM.  I am running short on time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Sorry no, I don’t use wifi extenders since those cut bandwidth in half and doesn’t pass devices seamlessness as mesh does. That’s the only recommendation I can give you is go full mesh system. It’s more expensive but it works much better. I can confirm Asus ZenWifi XT8 works fine in both AP and DHCP mode. I used this back with cable so it wasn’t a new expense for me when switching to TMO.

We have a mesh system in the house but you can’t daisy chain them… the hubs are supposed to be equidistant to the main hub. And they don’t push signal crazy far. Signal is pretty weak the back of our property.

I was thinking about plugging in a really strong signaled wifi router to my hub that is closest to the backyard with it’s sole purpose to provide a Wifi network to my ring cameras and wifi gate lock, etc, that are on the other end of our property.

I can’t see why this wouldn’t work! thoughts?!

does netgear EX6120 work w/ 5G Gateway??????????

do you have to pay for a security service to make netgear WIFI extender EX6120 work???????

We purchased a tp-link RE7705X (AX300 Dual Band) We-Fi 6 Range Extender from Best Buy over the weekend. The t-mobile unit does not have a WPS button so we used the Tether App we downloaded to my phone and followed the directions in the box. I do not have a large home (live in an RV) but it worked just fine after trying different spots to plug it in! 

I agree with BethMcNab, I researched for a while and was hearing nightmares with cheaper brand.  I got this on Amazon. I am not kidding, with the Tether App I was up and running in 5 minutes! Super easy.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-RE700X-Beamforming-Compatible/dp/B09V455KZ2/ref=sr_1_8?crid=30VBXYP01SQJL&keywords=ax3000+wifi+6+router+mesh+tp-link&qid=1672889737&refinements=p_89%3ATP-Link&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=ax3000+wifi+6+router+mesh+tp-link%2Caps%2C179&sr=1-8

Badge

Don’t use DLink E15 device, worked with ATT wired network. Can’t find the T-mobile network.

I am having difficulty finding an extender that works with the new 5 G Tmobile router.

I just purchased Beth McNabs suggestion & it is arriving tonight.

What is a Tether APP?

Thanks this is so frustrating & I appreciate the help

Jodi, it’s just an app that you use to set up the extender/router. The instructions are in/on the box. Easy! If you have any trouble holler at me. 

Thanks!!

I’ll keep ya posted 

I use an older TP-Link Deco mesh system. It’s set up as an Access Point with one unit connected via ethernet cable to the T-Mobile gateway. The other units (2) just communicate with the main TP-Link device.

We purchased a tp-link RE7705X (AX300 Dual Band) We-Fi 6 Range Extender from Best Buy over the weekend. The t-mobile unit does not have a WPS button so we used the Tether App we downloaded to my phone and followed the directions in the box. I do not have a large home (live in an RV) but it worked just fine after trying different spots to plug it in! 

Many thanks! Works like a charm!

I agree with BethMcNab, I researched for a while and was hearing nightmares with cheaper brand.  I got this on Amazon. I am not kidding, with the Tether App I was up and running in 5 minutes! Super easy.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-RE700X-Beamforming-Compatible/dp/B09V455KZ2/ref=sr_1_8?crid=30VBXYP01SQJL&keywords=ax3000+wifi+6+router+mesh+tp-link&qid=1672889737&refinements=p_89%3ATP-Link&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=ax3000+wifi+6+router+mesh+tp-link%2Caps%2C179&sr=1-8

For those that have purchased the TP-link system, do any of you use it to cover outside property? How many acres? Trying to extend the signal inside our barn home to reach our blink cameras and ring doorbell at our locked gate. 

I use an older TP-Link Deco mesh system. It’s set up as an Access Point with one unit connected via ethernet cable to the T-Mobile gateway. The other units (2) just communicate with the main TP-Link device.

How far apart are the units? Which deco system

did you use? And how much space do you get coverage now? Acres of sqft?

How far apart are the units? Which deco system

did you use? And how much space do you get coverage now? Acres of sqft?

Mine’s the old M3 system. It covers 3,000 sq/ft across 2 floors. The units are probably 40-50 ft apart. No lack of coverage here. 

Hi! Was it the TP-Link tether app you used?

Badge

I’m trying to link up a TP-Link RE315 extender - the 2g and 5g buttons are lit, solid and I can access the unit from my laptop, where I entered the TMobile SSID, pw, but still am not getting internet connectivity. I’ve tried ethernet connecting and the Tethering app, but it doesn’t pick up the TMobile KVD21 router.  … Maybe I’m using the wrong LAN port on the KVD21?  

Thank you for this to you and BethMcNabb. Works like a charm !

Was this with the 5g Gateway?

I just acquired T-mobile home Gateway Sagemcom Fast 5688W.  I am kicking Spectrum cable to the curb and TMob was my only alternative.  I had a TpLink (Asus) AC1900 router for the house and used a TpLink (Asus) RPAC55 link extender to extend Wifi out to my barn 400’ away.  This system worked pretty good for a few years. 

I cannot get the extender to work with the TM gateway.  I have tried every which to make this work.  The clients have a long time connecting with the extended signal, they pass some rudimentary bits but will not allow the internet to pass through.   There is something about the TM wifi that will not allow this connection.  

I’m going to try and use my AC1900 wired to the TM gateway and extend that older wifi out to my barn.  I dont need mesh or tons of bandwidth out there just run a few security cams.