Solved

DNS Resolution phone = yes home internet = no ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It makes no sense how BOTH my iPhone and T-Mobile gateway connect to the SAME 4G and 5G cells yet DNS doesn’t resolve over the gateway. I can ping major DNS server IPv4 addresses and get a response on my MacBook Pro and a Linux client but neither can resolve host names. Even the email does not work on my MACBook.
Calling the T-Mobile support line at 7-7:30 am is of no avail. Even a call back tells me they are not able to answer my call. Why bother even calling support as it fails just as bad. I doubt they could answer the question anyway. 
It is as if the home internet gateway connection has zero priority. The cellular metrics on both the phone and gateway are good and basic pings do pass so it looks like some configuration screwup impacting traffic from home internet gateways here. 

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 26 October 2022, 17:56

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just a point of reference. Speedtest on a client cannot find the servers. Speedtest on my phone does work and reports 180 mbps download so clearly there is bandwidth but for the n41 results are meh… but to be expected first thing in the a.m. due to load. Since the gateway fails to pass much other than pings I don’t know where the load comes from. 

I’m having the same issues myself right now, and I can’t get ahold of anyone and I’ll leave a call back request just to get called back saying can’t nobody call me back…i don’t know what to do at this point I can’t connect my phone nor Xbox to the internet for the kids but I can do mobile hot spot?? How do I have service but not internet ?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It is clearly related to DNS resolution with traffic from home internet connections. If you can ping the IP address of CloudFlare or Quad9 or Google but not the host name that is a red flag. This doesn’t impact my phone at all only the home internet is jacked. 
We are in east TN so from a regional standpoint it might be related to the passing of hurricane Ian but we saw no major impact or that here. Since everything works on the phone but not on the home internet it may be something configured wrong for priority. They can’t even get their support lines to work. T-Mobile needs to figure out how to send text notifications out to subscribers via their phone when they have regional issues with their internet service. 

It is clearly related to DNS resolution with traffic from home internet connections. If you can ping the IP address of CloudFlare or Quad9 or Google but not the host name that is a red flag. This doesn’t impact my phone at all only the home internet is jacked. 
We are in east TN so from a regional standpoint it might be related to the passing of hurricane Ian but we saw no major impact or that here. Since everything works on the phone but not on the home internet it may be something configured wrong for priority. They can’t even get their support lines to work. T-Mobile needs to figure out how to send text notifications out to subscribers via their phone when they have regional issues with their internet service. 

I’m in East Tennessee too and having the same issues! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you go to downdetector.com you can clearly see a spike in reports of issues starting just after 4 am today. T-Mobile seems to be having some major problems currently. I checked several other ISPs and they had no problems currently reported. 

K town east TN also down 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you load the downdetector mobile application the map shows T-Mobile on the east and west coast with huge red areas. They have major issues currently. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

When you zoom in it doesn’t look as bad but clearly issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It appears that around 41% of the reports are mobile internet related. Around 28% are mobile phone reports so I guess it could be worse. 

Same issue here in middle TN. Looks like it’s an issue in TN. T-Mobile support swears there is no issue on their end, but that’s clearly wrong. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

They should load downdetector and get informed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I often wonder if T-Mobile actually provides much in the way of utilities for support agents to use and how much they rely upon a network monitoring framework to inform support of potential issues. I could not get a call in to support and the return call just told me they could not answer my call at this time. Duh… it should be a recording saying we are too busy to provide a callback. 

The automated support center just auto hangs up on you even for the call back it calls a couple mins later says it's connecting you then says  no one's available and hangs up

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK so previously i tried just using the Cloud Flare IP for DNS but I have also used Quad 9 as well. The result is now my MacBook can get DNS resolution. So, clearly there is a DNS issue that T-Mobile needs to resolve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK so there was some issue with DNS that T-Mobile was having but they seem to have resolved it yet again. Nothing advertised as to what the cause of the behavior was but it works again. Using the workaround to set the client DNS vs allowing the gateway IP works good. 

To Summarize: Power Cycling several times it just presented me with its same 192.168.X.X number but after using the Reset button it used a new IP and resumed DNS connectivity.

I have been running into this issue more frequently this past couple of months, at one point the only option the T-Mobile presented was to do an RMA of the 5G home internet device.  Just recently discovered through trial and error that if you’re encountering this problem, power cycling the T Mobile 5g home internet device does not reset its own Automatic DHCP settings (at least it did not with my device).  To accomplish this I actually used that tiny Reset button on the back, just a regular press and release, did not factory reset. After doing that I noted that the device’s home network IP address changed and it was able to successfully reconnect to full DNS networking. From what little I know about network engineering I would guess some sorta lease information just does not trigger a reset as it should when the lease information is expired for your device on their network. I have gone entire weeks without issue, but at minimum it seems to take at least 24+ hours before it happens again.