Question

Does the 5G Gateway really lack the ability to handle inbound ip traffic?

• 17 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Does the 5G Gateway really lack the ability to handle inbound ip traffic for use cases like SSH, security system, VPN, etc?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It depends on if you need a certain speed to handle the traffic for what you’re using it for. For example, our Open Internet policy gives you a breakdown of speed expectations for our services. Check out our Home Internet page as well if you’d like more info on the service and if you’d like to check eligibility in your area.

Badge

??? How is the speed answer related to my question about inbound traffic from the internet to the gateway?  Did you mean to answer someone else‘s question and pasted that answer here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don’t think it’s the gateway. It’s the way T-Mobile NATs and firewalls their inbound IP connections. 

Badge

I don’t think it’s the gateway. It’s the way T-Mobile NATs and firewalls their inbound IP connections. 

I understand the distinction, but to me as T-Mobile customer it probably makes no difference.  Effectively I seem to not have my own public IP (v4/v6) addresses and/or no ability to reach my gateway.  That in addition to the VDK21 not providing a bridge mode to my multi WAN router are major flaws in the T-Mobile offering.  Would you happen to know if Verizon’s 5G UW home internet offering besides being faster does not have the T-Mobile limitations?  I’m considering returning the T-Mobile stuff before the first bill date comes around.

So does my issue of inability to maintain an open NAT type for Xbox party chat fit here? They seem related to me from what was mentioned.

7 ports are required for party chat to work so just curious. Spent way too much time on this already and way too many calls for it to be fixed. So many it's aggravating!

After waiting an hour for T-Mobile on special T-Mobile home line I did a couple tests on my game consoles.

The most I'm getting for my game consoles except for one particular time at around midnight early today was 3 megabits in 1 MB out fairly consistently on my Xbox One and my Nintendo switch using the T-Mobile.

As for the net types on the Xbox one I got strict and on the Nintendo switch I got a D which means I can only play with A players.

Let's compare that to a different carrier visible Wireless.  The primarily a phone text and data service for mobile phones but it does have free unlimited hotspot capped at 5 megabits per second in and out.

Let's just say even though there's a cap apparently it's faster than what T-Mobile home internet service does whether it's designed for home internet.  And the speed cap is basically to prevent abuse of the network of people using it as a home network.

However as of the T-Mobile Sprint merger cell phones can target people in areas that have zero legally defined as broadband land-based carriers.  (My case: cable unavailable  fiber unavailable, DSL maximum speed 1.6 megabits in 400 kg out no other land-based options that are faster than DSL.)

Visible is considered fairly gaming friendly cellular ISP.  In fact I'm going to try to broadcast a game on the road using nothing but visible Wireless and be on Twitch playing a game against the real life human opponents on the switch.  

And for the actual gaming 3 megabits in 1 MB out is all you need to do the actual gaming the problem is the home network has to download these gigabyte size files and that takes about 30 minutes for 1 GB file.

That's mainly a problem with the Xbox because it seems like the Xbox has the philosophy of retyping the entirety of War and Peace just to turn a single semicolon into a colon.

Thankfully Nintendo switch files are a little more targeted and at worse takes 3 minutes on the visible account even with the speed limit of 5 Megan five Meg out on hotspot.

I looked at these problems and saw man it's a pain to game with T-Mobile especially with the strict NAT types.  What do I gain with this? I gained zero speed lose $25 and lose mobility.

The funny thing is even wired internet doesn't work well with T-Mobile.  They give you two ethernet ports but you can't split them with a ethernet hub or an extra router as an Ethernet router orturn it into a bridge and make add an ethernet bridge.

Now people say the local network of T-Mobile is kind of shoddy.  I don't know if it is or not but if gaming is inherently bad even when the network is inherently good, then I want out.

Luckily a week hasn't gone by yet so I could bail out and I haven't gotten rid of my Visible number so thankfully I got that.

Hopefully I'll call at midnight when the lines are more clear and maybe I'll get through and figure out whether gaming inherently has a problem.

It sounds like gaming is bad for more than just low bandwidth places like me.  If we wanted fast internet without worrying about gaming themes we would have ordered satellite internet and been happy with it.

Thankfully the local fiber company is coming by September of this year.  

I've waited 21 years for decent internet.  What's 5 more months of waiting?