Question

Eero WiFi Mesh System

• 7 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

I just received the new Tmobile 5g Gateway and I understand its a router as well.  How does one go about disabling the router capabilities and allow de Eero Mesh System to act as the main router?  I tried contacting the Tmobile Wifi Customer Care with the Eero support team and it was a long 2 hour conversation with no resolution?   

We asked if we could speak to the TMobile Network Engineers and they said it was not possible?  Has anyone experienced this issue and can help out?   Who can I contact to get this resolved?

What is the best way to setup with an Eero Mesh System?  Help

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I just received the new Tmobile 5g Gateway and I understand its a router as well.  How does one go about disabling the router capabilities and allow de Eero Mesh System to act as the main router?  I tried contacting the Tmobile Wifi Customer Care with the Eero support team and it was a long 2 hour conversation with no resolution?   

We asked if we could speak to the TMobile Network Engineers and they said it was not possible?  Has anyone experienced this issue and can help out?   Who can I contact to get this resolved?

What is the best way to setup with an Eero Mesh System?  Help

SO WHAT DOES THE DEVICE LOOK LIKE?

Badge

Its the grey litte tower with two lan ports in the back.  I used the lan port to connect my Eeero Mesh system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Its the grey litte tower with two lan ports in the back.  I used the lan port to connect my Eeero Mesh system.

grey tower with two ports??? you have a pic? doesent soud like anything we have now

Badge

Sure..it’s the one that shows up on the Tmobile website

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/gateway

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yeah so you have the 5g tower colloquially called the ‘trash can’. You can’t disable the router functions on it or place it in bridge mode. The best you can do is simply put the eero behind it or place the eero in bridge mode. 

If you are concerned with NAT, well regardless of what you do, T-mobile does carrier grade NAT upstream on both IPv4 and IPv6 so it doesn’t really matter. 

BTW, I run eeros on my network and they work fine as long as I turn off SQM or Optimize for gaming and video conferencing. That doesn’t work for me because my speeds are so variable until I get upgraded to n41/5GUC. 

New t-mobile Arcadyan gateway and eero mesh solution. I have a 2-pack eero pro 6 + 1 eero 6 mesh system. Give the t-mobile gateway SSID a different name and password than the eero mesh network. Set eero network to bridge mode. If you give the t-mobile gateway network the same SSID, the eero network speed slows. I believe that the gateway splits the bandwidth between it’s wireless network and the ethernet port connected to the eero. Do not connect any devices to the gateway’s wireless network and eero should run at max speed. Connect all devices to the eero’s SSID.

I set up eero pro 6 as described by spiegs but Eero is not in bridge mode. It seems to be working OK. Is there a down side to that? Will it cause problems? I don’t plan to use the T mobile wifi or other ethernet port. T Mobile app says I have 1 connected device which is Eero.

Just received 5G Tmobile Home internet. Have a EERO 6 mesh network. All fine except the Cam for community wide fire safety. So there are work arounds involving VPN services.  Cam needs a port forwarded. So how? Thanks

Badge

I am using TM Gateway “trash can” wiht Amplifi Alien. No specifical configuration in both the gateway and the Amplifi. Just like the way we connect the router to a modem. Just hardwire from the trash can to input port of the router. All client devices should connect to the router’s SSID. Same for additional mesh modules.

Setup Eero just like spiegs reports above and everything worked with Eero in bridge mode. I had some wired stuff connected to the TM gateway and was getting half speed. Moved everything to the Eero (wired and wireless) and back to full bandwidth (200Mbs in my case). Left TM network a different SSID than the Eero SSID and only used eero wireless network. Happy with the results so far.