Question

ethernet cable with home internet

• 19 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

How exactly do you use this ethernrt cable with the Home Internt?? Does it help with the strength of he signal? Do you plug it in a regular phone jack plug in the wall? Help!! I want to make sure I'm utilizing this equipment to best of its abilities. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Looking at the setup it's for hooking up to a computer.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/getting-started-high-speed-internet-gateway

Its an ethernet cable…  use it the same as you would any other internet cable.  No, it does not go into a phone jack.

Userlevel 3
Badge

How exactly do you use this ethernrt cable with the Home Internt?? Does it help with the strength of he signal? Do you plug it in a regular phone jack plug in the wall? Help!! I want to make sure I'm utilizing this equipment to best of its abilities. 

It’s basically a direct line from your router to the device your using and usually more stable and sometimes faster speeds. My router isn’t close enough to connect the ethernet to my tv or laptop but my WiFi works well enough so I don’t use it for now.

can I hard wire this gateway to my PC ?  I have wireless capabilities, but the signal is constantly disconnecting,. and its very frustrating.  If I cannot connect the gateway directly to my PC,. I am afraid this device is not for me, and I will have to send everything back and go back to a new internet provider.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

can I hard wire this gateway to my PC ?  I 

Yes.  Just connect an ethernet cable to the ethernet ports on your gateway and your PC’s ethernet port or adapter. On the 5G gateway, it’s a gigabit port, so you’ll want to use a 5e or newer cable, if your pc has a gigabit port. Cat 6 cables are pretty affordable now, so I never go lower than that.