Feature Request - Home Internet Gateway DHCP Settings

• 13 November 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

T-Mo -

Please enable us to set the DHCP parameters on the home internet gateway (“trashcan”).

I want to use static addresses and DNS-based content filtering for my local network.

Thanks.

18 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think this is called “static DHCP” meaning the IP address given by the DHCP server on the HIG is based on MAC address. DNS-based content filtering I believe means the HIG serves as first-layer DNS server based on local devices and based on their “friendly” name provided before contacting the external WAN DNS server (hosted by TMO).

All of these features have been available for probably more than 10 years in OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato, and other variants, many of which are open-source.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Rob. Yes, I’ve used DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Tomato in the past.

These days I’d like a simpler set-up, that is, if I can just use the gateway/router for wifi access that would be preferred.

T-Mo please enable a DHCP web interface or allow telnet/ssh access.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I agree with you 100%!!

As a workaround, many people (including me) have asked for a bridge-mode and perhaps the first device connected via LAN port (since there’s no WAN port) gets a WAN IP address, and other devices plugged in do not receive an IP address (from TMO WAN), in a similar mode as cable modems with either two or more Ethernet interfaces or connected to an Ethernet switch.

My issue is that TMO doesn’t work with UPNP, which breaks my paid PLEX service. It is irritating too to have to continue to “guess” the IP addresses (as they change) for things like my desktop when using RDC technologies (i.e., VNC). I have been using ASUS AiMesh technology on an RT-AX3000 and that works really well. The only issue is how to access the TMO management interface (for signal quality, battery level, etc.) we need a special IP address. For cable modems on some services, you can access this (i.e., QAM allocation, channels, SNR, etc.) is accessed via http://192.168.100.1 (even though the LAN can be 192.168.1.1). In other words, the cablemodem filters ARP requests for 192.168.100.1 to itself (not sending it upstream because it’s not on the LAN interface).

Not sure if telnet/ssh access would help, unless we knew how to modify the routes, how to save them (from power cycles / reboots when firmware updates are applied) in NVRAM/flash… lots of deep technical questions, all of which could be eliminated if we had a bridge mode and used our own router. In the interim, the bridge mode would allow those users to support themselves and their own particular flavor. Opening up the router to other firmwares may be potentially risky and brick-making. I’m just trying to justify TMO reasoning if they don’t allow this. It’s similar to mobile carriers invalidating warranties for phones with 3rd party firmwares. There is a non-zero chance of hardware damage occurring. For instance, let’s say the power amplifier has software feedback to prevent thermal runaway, and that is somehow bypassed, now the device could be damaged or worse, it could be that its damage causes harmonics that are affecting others’ mobile services. Similar reasoning could be for the LNA, in that it could be controlled to overload the radio receiver and irreparably damage it.

AT&T fiber requires using their router, and their justification is “to make sure our service is working normally” (whatever). However, they do provide a bridge-mode, and if you also turn off wifi, you can then use your own router and the WAN IP is presented to the first device connected on the LAN port. That undoes any restrictions and limitations imposed by using their router (i.e., no static DHCP, no DDNS support, etc. etc.).

Userlevel 2

Please, please, please…  Just give us a button to disable DHCP.  There are routers that cost thousands of dollars out there and you think this Nokia piece of garbage can actually compete with that???  Its a decent/pretty much awful gateway, but I’m sure as heck not allowing it access to my internal network.  I have so many Arduinos that require static IP addresses that this thing will certainly screw up, which will take me forever to fix if they get pushed a new IP address.  This all in one method only works for people that are tech novices.  Just give us a button to disable this DHCP control so my router can control my network without constantly fighting with this thing.  I’ve seriously had to use a cell phone to connect to wifi and USB tether it to a router just to make use of this garbage can.  What sucks is the settings are there somewhere.  I know Nokia has firmware capable of user interaction with these settings on other devices…  and the developers of this device also have to be able to set these settings!!  So why is this one firmware intentionally locked out to noob mode?  Its stupid and it alienates every user above the novice skillset.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Y -- This also reminds me of my first “PC”, a Radio Shack Model 3.  The model 1 was very modular, plug and play, even if difficult to get it to work reliably.  Some other “fruity company” out there had a similar design philosophy of allowing and encouraging both users and developers to create their OWN devices, their OWN software, and even their own operating systems.

Some guy from Radio Shack however named “Shirley”,  must have been a real control freak.  Bust the paper seal over the screw to even open the case, use a different operating system, and it would void the warranty.  I think they would also refuse to even try to repair it at that time, if just one non-company component was EVER used.   (Yeah, His name REALLY was Shirley!!). 

Users fought, complained, and worked around the tyrants as best they could, but to no avail.  Meanwhile, the “open standard” became by far, much more preferred over the closed source and hardware, and Apple almost won all the marbles…  But then, there were a few rogue engineer/managers in Boca Raton that broke with New York’s head office and produced the revolutionary IBM PC movement, with an open design philosophy in hardware and software.  Had not a violent thunderstorm in Texas killed off those Rogue IBM managers, you likely wouldn’t have aver heard of anyone named “jobs” or “Apple”.  IBM and OS/2 would have also replaced, NT/Windows and Microsoft as the predominant Operating System company.  Nevertheless, both IBM, Apple and many other “open-architecture” companies put a stake in the closed minded Radio Shack head start that they once had.  I bought one of those companies that created an IBM compatible, and it was allowed to exist and flourish, and not stomped on.

LEGERE -- Where did you go??  Please at least visit, and try to shake everyone up and tell them at TM, that they can’t, shouldn’t try, and don’t have to replace all the network hardware and software we are using today in our current networks!  Want to own that market??  OK, then buy Cisco and do it the right way.

I agree the nokia gateway has almost no configurable features and TMobile should release a firmware upgrade to remedy these problems. There is a tedious work around for some of the problems particularly if you have an old router or old pc with 2 NIC’s at your disposal.

I was with another provider and to help filter traffic I setup and old PC and installed PFSENSE with 1 port connected to my LAN and the other to the provider. I had setup OpenVPN and also used port forwarding to remotely connect to my home network and really miss those features with the t-mobile internet gateway. My old connection is still active (1 year paid) and I connected my old linksys router to the pfsense box and switched the pfsense LAN to 192.168.12.0 network and then connected them to the ethernet ports on the t-mobile gatewayand set the LAN as the default gateway. I disabled DHCP on the pfsense and linksys routers. I can now VPN through my old connection and go out through the higher speed 5G tmobile gateway.

Now I know PFSENSE can block DHCP requests per interface and issue DHCP leases on other interfaces or alternatvely put the pfsense/router box on another network such as 192.168.1.1 and have it handle all your DHCP and DNS requests. In this case I could use the linksys router for wireless or setup and wireless access point connected to the pfsense box. Note that any direct wifi connections to the 5G gateway will bypass the pfsense box and get DHCP and DNS from the t-mobile 5G gateway/router. You still wouldn’t be able to use port forwarding (useful if you want to check your home security cameras) without a second connection mentioned above but it would allow some control of DHCP and DNS. You should be able to do something similar with any old wifi router even without a pfsense box. Connect with the lan switch at the back to the t-mobile gateway or connect the WAN and use a different LAN network (I haven’t tried this with the wan port yet but seems it would work if you used a different network for the LAN on the old router).

I can say the T-MOBILE is much faster than my fixed connection, so for now I use that for outgoing and the fixed to get around the t-mobile limitations, at least till my other subscription expires.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yes, Please enable DHCP settings

two questions:

have you seen the tracepath out of the device?  TM is doing some very interesting network security and your IP AP’s IP address is abstracted from the address seen on the Internet.  I just got mine and still learning what this architecture is.

As a work around, maybe one can open a dedicated VPN to a Linux-based cloud point ($10/month) from maybe a Raspberry PI or I may look at a PFSense.  then one can access the home stuff through this route point.

I believe TM doesn’t allow accessing the AP from the internet; everything is outbound, so the VPN design above is an outbound connection that one can go ‘back down’ with.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It would be nice to at least document what DHCP settings are being used -
IP Address range, lease time, etc

I’m satisfied, I put a full service NetGear router, it connects to the T-Mobile device and I use all of its features while leaving the T-Mobile device to connect to the Internet.

Still working on how to do port forwarding

I just switched to xfinity, using my own cable modem. My experience has been that with this xfinity / (own) cable modem setup, my IP address didn’t change. With T-Mobile, my IP address (in the past week) changed daily, and during the day switched between two IP addresses. I had to keep white-listing new IP addresses.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Let’s all get on the same page. The options are:

A - get TMO to add comprehensive DHCP features to the gateway

B - get TMO to support bridge mode for using one’s own router with existing DHCP features

Personally, I think option A will take a long time to roll out because they would need a lot of firmware development and no matter how well they do, people will still demand more features. Option B sounds more logical to me because the “I need more DHCP features” moves out of TMO hands and back to the respective router makers and allows everyone to get the router that best fits their needs.

The Wi-Fi Network Settings has a “Maximum Number of Clients” option. Try changing that to 1 or 0 under all the appropriate frequencies/SSIDs.

Update: Nevermind, I guess that’s just how many Wi-Fi connections it will allow and not restrict the DHCP range. Really annoying, I’m giving this thing back ASAP. Update your stuff T-Mobile!

I was hoping for many of the same things, and then my Nokia round gateway stopped working. It was replaced with the black one. It has no configuration options at all. 

The best thing you can do is plug a router into the gateway and use that for DHCP. The T-mobile device will show one device connected and everything else will go though that one. 

It won’t let me turn WifI off, and I had it on with the round gateway but limited to one user just in case I needed it. Now, you are limited to the settings in the app, which are far more limited than what you had with the gateway. 

Really, this is just a firm update that can be pushed out by the gateway manufacturer.  There is already a firmware for the router with the DHCP and DNS advanced settings that comes with the gateways that are not branded by TMO.  

Replying to: 

B - get TMO to support bridge mode for using one’s own router with existing DHCP features

Personally, I think option A will take a long time to roll out because they would need a lot of firmware development and no matter how well they do, people will still demand more features. Option B sounds more logical to me because the “I need more DHCP features” moves out of TMO hands and back to the respective router makers and allows everyone to get the router that best fits their needs.

Really, this is just a firm update that can be pushed out by the gateway manufacturer.  There is already a firmware for the router with the DHCP and DNS advanced settings that comes with the gateways that are not branded by TMO.  

Replying to: 

Yes, B makes more sense in the short term.  Their excuse for not having the features (it makes it easier for users) is disingenuous at best.  It can't be easier for users not to have options that they don't have to look at because they won't know about them. 

It might make it easier for T-Mobile support, since users can't change settings. But if I plug in my own router without option B, I still adjust my own settings, and there's an extra unneeded translation.  The only minor issue is that the ping time is about double, but I'm not likely to see a difference. But when their network is screwed up, I'll be sure to either plug directly into their device or use their WiFi (probably both) before calling them. 

I'd like to see option B because it's cleaner.

I just switched from CenturyLink DSL to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet service and I was very disappointed at the lack of features on the Home Router. I know that probably 90% of the user base are a plug and play clientele but for the rest of us the advanced features we are looking for just aren’t there. I am a network engineer for an fortune 500 company and I have what some would call a very elaborate home network including a home automation system. Having a “bridge mode” feature added to the router would greatly improve the adaptability of the router to my system. I am contemplating either purchasing a 5G module for my Cisco Router or a Peplink 5G router to move in that direction. But why should I pay more for a feature that would be easy to add to the T-Mobile router with a software update.

Lets go for Plan B as mentioned above!

T-Mobile really needs to make this feature request a reality as well as offering the home user a static IP. What home user would be OK with having zero control over their own home LOCAL NETWORK. If i were to connect my home printer to my T-Mobile wireless connection. the printer would go unresponsive every time things get rebooted or go offline and the printer pulls a new DHCP address, because I can’t reserve the IP address to the mac address of the printer. Pass through (Bridge Mode) would solve this by allowing me to pass the 5g connection through to my existing network that is already set up and functional. I’d simply be swapping service providers instead of allowing a service provider to take over the management of my Local Network, which I’m sure they would not troubleshoot or take responsibility of in every aspect. Why not just allow us what we should already have for paying for the service. PLEASE ADD Bridge Mode!