Solved

Fire TV's won't connect to Home Internet

• 30 October 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

I have had TMobile home internet for quite some time now. I have two Insignia Fire Tv's that were working just fine with the home internet up until a month ago. They will connect but it says there is no internet, which definitely isn't the case because I have a Samsung smart TV and my bedroom TV's Roku connected to it and both are working perfectly. The speeds are super fast and the connection is very good. I have my network split into 5 and 2.5 and neither works on the Fire TV's. Does anyone know why this is? I factory reset the Fire TV's but that didn't seem to do anything- I even connected them to my phones hot spot so that they could update. My phones hot spot connected well for updating them but it's not fast enough to stream. If anyone has any answers I would appreciate it!

icon

Best answer by Juancollazo20 2 November 2022, 16:32

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So the Fire TV network adapter specifications might be helpful to know. Are those wireless adapters 802.11ax/WIFI6 or ??? So, a month ago. Did the gateway take an upgrade that you are aware of? Which T-Mobile 5G gateway do you have?

You got them to connect to your phone’s hotspot wireless so what specification is that? I would start with determining what worked at least for getting them connected and see if there is a significant difference between that and what is done on the same wireless frequency on the gateway. It might be the authentication type. 

Badge +1

What are the network adapter specifications? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm also not sure about the gateway having an update but I assume so because I have also had trouble on Disney Plus and Paramount Plus (on my roku) where out of nowhere, it will throw up an error saying that I'm using a VPN and they don't allow that and then the apps won't work untill I restart. So I'm assuming there was some kind of update that is causing these issues. I'm not sure what you mean by what specifications my hit spot is either- it's just the Hotspot from my tmobile phone. I agree that it has something to do with authentication because of the issue with my roku apps. 

Yep I’m having the same problem. My fire stix will connect to all phones or  Wi-Fi but not my TMobile internet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

By the network adapter specifications I am referring to the version of wireless standard it operates by. The model(s) of the two Insignia Fire TV's with a search online for the specifications for them should provide the information. Since they are Insignia they are from Bestbuy I am guessing so that might be a place to start. 

Say the Fire TVs are new, new and support WIFI-6 (802.11ax) then they have the same radio technology as the gateway. If they are a few years old then they may only support WIFI-5 (802.11ac). They should still play pretty well if that is the case. If they are older and only support a prior version of wireless technology/standard then it might be a little more challenge.

If you have an older wireless router there that you had them connected to before the T-Mobile gateway and they connect to it then you could connect it to the newer gateway and build a workaround. If you have a range extender that will link to the gateway and they connect to it then that might be another option. The best option is to get them to talk to the gateway direct on the best radio frequency possible.

So, knowing how the TV communicates on the wireless network is necessary to know to provide a better more accurate suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So, I know I have seen other posts about Roku so I did a search. The title of the post is Fixed It so does not refer to Roku in the title but: (same issue with Roku or not? I do not know.)

Note: I am not saying this has anything to do with the Fire TV issue.

“I finally stumbled on a solution when I searched the internet using a different question. It's the Roku remote that caused this. The remote works off Wi-Fi and on the same channel as the Roku box and it continues to send signals even if you're not pressing the buttons. Maybe that combination was pulling too much signal, I don’t really know why it fixed it. Once I download the Roku remote app and disabled the regular remote by removing the batteries, it started working. Just make sure the remote app is on the same Wi-Fi network as the Roku unit.

The speed is stellar and I'm not getting thrown out of programs or freezing or any of the issues I was having and everything is working great. My sister, who lives a couple doors away, was having the same problems, on two TV's and she did the same thing and now her Roku’s are running great. One of her Roku models is a bit older than the Premiere+.

I’m so happy to put this problem behind me and I hope this can help someone else having these issues. Heads up to Roku if you're reading this, please post this solution in your forum. It might save some people a lot of aggravation.”

Regarding Gateway firmware revisions: (firmware updates) visit the page for info

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/firmware-updates--t-mobile-home-internet

Gateway Firmware

• Firmware updates are pushed out automatically when available. They can't be manually requested.
  • They're sent out in phases over a few weeks, so not all users get the update at the same time.
  • Updates happen between 1 am and 3 am PST; make sure your gateway is turned on during this time to get the update.
  • Do not restart the gateway when it’s updating. The gateway will automatically restart once the update is complete.

Check firmware version

1. From the T-Mobile Internet App, select MORE > Gateway information.
  2. Review the Firmware version.

NOTE: I have no idea when the last firmware push went out for the Arcadyan or Sagemcon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For the Insignia Fire TVs I suggest the Bestbuy Forum:

https://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Televisions-Home-Theater/My-Insignia-Smart-TV-wont-connect-to-WiFI/td-p/1218840

Badge +1

By the network adapter specifications I am referring to the version of wireless standard it operates by. 

So, I looked them up and couldnt find anything about network adapter specifications or wireless version standards. They are only a year old and were working with my tmobile home internet prior to last month. I haven't switched out or changed anything. I am using tmobiles grey cylinder gateway and it's the same one I had months ago. I am currently trying to find my router to try hooking that up next.

Badge +1

Also, I can't link the app to the tv's because the TV won't connect to the internet so the app cannot see it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If the app is like the Harmony remote app or the FireTV app I use it will communicate over the local network to the device. Just like the T-Mobile home internet app does. 

Badge +1

Yes the fire tv remotes use the network to communicate with the TV. I figured out what was wrong though. I went into my gateways settings and noticed that fire tvs connection was diabled. I'm not sure why this was but after I enabled them again and restarted the TV and the gateway they connected again without issue. So the problem has been fixed.

I had the same issue with my FireTV. The issue was the network was set up with WPA2/WPA3 security. Somehow that did not allow my WPA2 only TV to connect. After switching the network to WPA2 all is well.