First problem with 5G home internet gateway

• 19 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I've had the 5G home internet gateway, aka 'trashcan', for 5 days now. For the first 4 days. Everything was great - 200/20 Mbps up/down wired.

Then last night around 6:00 PM CST in 73034, it dropped internet. The meter still showed 3 bars as usual, but internet was unreachable from any device, wired or wifi.

I rebooted a couple of times and internet connectivity came back within 20 - 30 minutes, but dropped several more times before it eventually stabilized after about an hour. Download speeds varied widely from 1 to 190 Mbps.

But even once it appeared to stay up, a number of websites remained unreachable, such as speedtest.net and duckduckgo.com. It appears that DNS resolution was failing.

I ran a tracert to google.com and saw the first hop to 192.168.12.1, then a hop to 192.0.0.1 which repeated over and over, sometimes timing out.

I called support, but got nowhere with them. Just the normal unplug/reboot/clear browser cache script. I tried to explain that it appeared there was a DNS server problem, but it was clear that went over their head.

During the time I was on the phone with support, it finally started working again. So they thought they had fixed it, although they didn't do anything I hadn't already tried.

I tried adding the OpenDNS servers to my network connection in Windows, but from everything I could see it was still using 192.168.12.1 as my DNS server.

FYI, I've disabled the wifi connections in the gateway and have an Asus AC3200 in AP connected via Ethernet to avoid dual NAT. I supposed I could switch back to router mode and set the DNS servers in the router and see if that works, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

So my question are:

1) does anyone know what might have caused this?

2) how frequently does it occur?

3) what can I do about it?

I hope this isn't common, although some quick internet searching indicates that it may be. I've already cancelled my prior ISP and recommended T Mobile to a number of friends and family. I hope I wasn't too hasty. I can't deal with several hours of no internet during prime time every week 

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I've had the 5G home internet gateway, aka 'trashcan', for 5 days now. For the first 4 days. Everything was great - 200/20 Mbps up/down wired.

Then last night around 6:00 PM CST in 73034, it dropped internet. The meter still showed 3 bars as usual, but internet was unreachable from any device, wired or wifi.

I rebooted a couple of times and internet connectivity came back within 20 - 30 minutes, but dropped several more times before it eventually stabilized after about an hour. Download speeds varied widely from 1 to 190 Mbps.

But even once it appeared to stay up, a number of websites remained unreachable, such as speedtest.net and duckduckgo.com. It appears that DNS resolution was failing.

I ran a tracert to google.com and saw the first hop to 192.168.12.1, then a hop to 192.0.0.1 which repeated over and over, sometimes timing out.

I called support, but got nowhere with them. Just the normal unplug/reboot/clear browser cache script. I tried to explain that it appeared there was a DNS server problem, but it was clear that went over their head.

During the time I was on the phone with support, it finally started working again. So they thought they had fixed it, although they didn't do anything I hadn't already tried.

I tried adding the OpenDNS servers to my network connection in Windows, but from everything I could see it was still using 192.168.12.1 as my DNS server.

FYI, I've disabled the wifi connections in the gateway and have an Asus AC3200 in AP connected via Ethernet to avoid dual NAT. I supposed I could switch back to router mode and set the DNS servers in the router and see if that works, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

So my question are:

I hope this isn't common, although some quick internet searching indicates that it may be. I've already cancelled my prior ISP and recommended T Mobile to a number of friends and family. I hope I wasn't too hasty. I can't deal with several hours of no internet during prime time every week 

Bars mean nothing what matters is the signal quality.

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

Badge

Bars mean nothing what matters is the signal quality.

Phone app is a bit limited go to 192.168.12.1 on your computer web browser.

First page expand Primary and secondary internet connection signal all that info is needed screen shot ok too.

Then on the left click Status and again expand Primary and secondary cellular network again all that data or screenshot.

Again need 

RSRP

SNR

RSRQ

RSSI

For both primary and secondary.

And Band for both.

With this info we can help you.

RSRP the lower the number the better.

SNR higher is better on this one.

RSRQ lower is better.

RSSI lower is better.

Thanks, I'll do this if it happens again.

Badge

I started having the same problems two mths ago.  Clicking on a url link will usually time out,  but if I turn off wifi and use my normal 5G data,  it works fine.  Called support and replaced my modem,  but no help.  Anyone know a work around?  I hate to have to switch back to xfinity 

I started having the same problems two mths ago.  Clicking on a url link will usually time out,  but if I turn off wifi and use my normal 5G data,  it works fine.  Called support and replaced my modem,  but no help.  Anyone know a work around?  I hate to have to switch back to xfinity 

I'm still having issues, started on March 7th. Upgraded from the 4G modem to the 5G modern with the same exact issues on both. I'm in the Fredericksburg, VA area and I'm about to cancel. These "tower upgrades" have been taking far too long. All of my computers and smart devices are unusable, appears to be DNS related. 

Badge

I am not sure if it is a tower upgrade issue.  Running Speedtest shows that i am getting 158/49, even though links are still timing out

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

So my question are:

I would change your Asus router to DHCP and then set DNS to a public one like Google. See if that works. I’ve tried both AP and DHCP and don’t see any difference in ping or bandwidth so I would rather use DHCP mode so I can use my Asus router’s features.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This will help make sense of the cellular metrics.