Question

Gateway hangs

• 7 November 2021
  • 25 replies

Badge

I have been a Tmobile home internet user for almost two months now. After positioning the gateway for 2-3 bars on both primary and secondary (RSRP's about -95 to -102), I still have intermittent problems. While the gateway still shows internet access and good wifi signal levels and good wired connections, the entire system just hangs with no internet access on any attached device. VoIP phone service has been erratic too. Frequent gateway reboots are getting VERY old. Tech support has been little help in the long run. Reliable internet access gets better for a day and then back to reboots. I have about 28 devices connected to the gateway. I do have a fan under the gateway I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it may have been fixed. Thanks!

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Some believe it to be related to internal heat in the gateway. Even putting two fans on mine made no difference. My problem went away almost completely after they upgraded the N41 tower that mine connects to. The SNR almost doubled, and my RSRQ got much stronger. My lost internet problem went from at least daily reboots to only one disconnect in 5 or 6 weeks.  

I read a great post (that I did not save, unfortunately) that surmised it was a problem with the gateway automatically reconnecting completely if the signal for dropped momentarily. This seemed plausible in my case, as it only seemed to happen when my gateway was connected to the N41 tower that is further away and had a weaker signal than the closer N71 tower it sometimes got. Perhaps the problem is also made worse by internal heat, and that may be why the fans seem to work for some people, but not for others. After the N41 tower upgrade, my gateway seems to grab the N71 tower only when storms are moving through the area. The shorter wavelength of the N41 band must be more susceptible to interference from heavy rain.

Some people have reported good results from installing an external antenna, which often helps improve signal quality, but a few have reported it made little difference.  I was getting ready to go that route, but the tower upgrade got completed and made the antenna unnecessary for me.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I have been a Tmobile home internet user for almost two months now. After positioning the gateway for 2-3 bars on both primary and secondary (RSRP's about -95 to -102), I still have intermittent problems. While the gateway still shows internet access and good wifi signal levels and good wired connections, the entire system just hangs with no internet access on any attached device. VoIP phone service has been erratic too. Frequent gateway reboots are getting VERY old. Tech support has been little help in the long run. Reliable internet access gets better for a day and then back to reboots. I have about 28 devices connected to the gateway. I do have a fan under the gateway I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it may have been fixed. Thanks!

Do you know what version of firmware your gateway has?

Badge

The gateway firmware is 1.2101.00.1609.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Maybe you can post all your reading as RSRP's about -95 to -102 is only part of the picture. But you have weak signal but again all depends on the other readings as RSRP's about -95 to -102 is only part of it.

Could be heat but I can tell you I had similar RSRP's in cerinn windows and it would cut out. Since then I have done to much research to post here but in the end external antenna solved my issues now blazing fast and rock solid connection.

See the can will drop a weak signal again depends on all your reading to understand. But reboot will reset its tolerance for the weak signal so it will hold it for some time until it swings weak enough to drop then you have no internet and it often wont come back without a reboot.

Badge

Understood and thanks for all.

But if the gateway drops the internet due to weak signal, why does it still report it has an internet connection at 192.168.12.1?

Badge

I moved the gateway last night to what seems to be a better position so far. No internet drops or reboots.

The current (B2) primary RSRP is -95 and the RSRQ is -16. The current (N41) secondary RSRP is -95 and the RSRQ is -11.

I have seen youtubes for adding an external antenna. While I am technical and used to soldering and dealing with SMD, the total process looks rather involved and potentially damaging. Also, it would be difficult at best to get and external antenna outdoors. 

Pretty sure heat is not an issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

But if the gateway drops the internet due to weak signal, why does it still report it has an internet connection at 192.168.12.1?

Flawed logic. Also do you understand how cellular works? You can have a connection but it’s so crappy that it cannot sent data. So sure you are connected but technically but if you can’t send data successfully you really have no connection at all.

Example you can have great signal strength but the SNR is so bad nothing can pass. There is a lot to what makes this work without the whole picture we are all guessing and nothing can get solved.

If you post the rest maybe can point you in the right direction.

Badge

Also primary SNR is 1 dB and secondary is 16 dB.

Badge

Please share your primary and secondary RSRP, RSRQ, and SNR values with an external antenna.

And is your external antenna indoors or outdoors?

Badge

Re ‘flawed logic’, I am used to systems that can recognize they have problems and also report them at least locally as is the case with the gateway using 192.168.12.1. I understand the distant report being inaccurate but that does seem to me to be the case here.

Badge

Oops, does NOT seem to me to be the case here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Here you go.

External ant is just outside window.

Values flux but things are rock solid.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Some other details of my setup.

Before the ext ant I could not even hold a secondary 5G band for long.

Im happy worth every penny.

Badge

Thanks for all. Your numbers are obviously much better than mine. My 1 dB primary SNR would be horrible in the comm systems I am familiar with but admittedly understand very little about cell.

How difficult did you find adding the pigtails to the gateway?

Badge

Also which external antenna do you have?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I'm out right now I can send you a link later but it takes about 10 minutes to put the pigtails on and I have the waveform flat panel but you can definitely put a kid together cheaper than their kit. Basically their flat panel antenna is a good price but the rest of the stuff is a little expensive you can get it cheaper off Amazon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The one I have works really good https://www.waveform.com/products/mimo-outdoor-panel-antenna

You can used the cheapest pole normally about $20 https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Mount-Adjustable-Universal-Installation/dp/B07PXK78MT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=universal+mounting+pole&qid=1636330385&sr=8-4

I knoW a few that have used this one but always out of stock https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Cross-Polarized-High-Gain-Fixed-Mount-Antenna/dp/B01NBSLNJ6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Depending on the antenna you get the Waveform pigtails are good and ok priced https://www.waveform.com/products/rsrf-u-fl-male-to-n-female-pigtail-adapter or any of the simular one on Amazon or I have used these for a few friends work really good https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092ZCZFTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then you just need 2 cables long enough to go from ant to can any reasonable one from Amazon should do. Total should be $160 ish depends on those cable lengths longer cost more shorter less.

Just do not buy a cheep antenna you get what you pay for I have ordered a few of the cheaper one to test and junk just aluminum foil inside.

Again the Waveform kit is nice I just think you can put it together for less.

I have modified a few cans as in the pic for ppl. That is the SMA pigtails with the SMA to N adaptors this is what TM should have done out of the box.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks for all. Your numbers are obviously much better than mine. My 1 dB primary SNR would be horrible in the comm systems I am familiar with but admittedly understand very little about cell.

How difficult did you find adding the pigtails to the gateway?

So also if you read my other post in the link my 4G and 5G towers are not in the same direction. The ext ant is pointed at the 5G tower not the 4G but I got good improvement from the ext ant anyway even on 4G. Really depends on all the reading not just one or the other it’s a package to get solid signal. Bottom line in some cases you just need a boost to get it locked in.

Anyways I can get a can apart install the pigtails and back together in 10 min flat I have done over 10 at this point. Even the one with the SMA mods is 15 min job and that one comes out slick.

Badge

Many thanks for all the info. I will study it and decide what I want to do.

Badge

Anyways I can get a can apart install the pigtails and back together in 10 min flat I have done over 10 at this point. Even the one with the SMA mods is 15 min job and that one comes out slick.

Since your procedure for the pigtail version is quick and apparently easy, could you elaborate please?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Since your procedure for the pigtail version is quick and apparently easy, could you elaborate please?

https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hotspots/t-mobile-5g-gateway

At the bottom and then there are several youtube videos check them out see what you think.

Badge

Hi ‘James’,

Have futzed recently with the gateway some and see my current B66/N71 signal report below. It’s been a lot more stable after these latest changes but only time will tell.

Anyway an external antenna is on hold for now if/when it gets worse again. A lot of talk about a gateway replacement so maybe one with SMAs already on it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi ‘James’,

Have futzed recently with the gateway some and see my current B66/N71 signal report below. It’s been a lot more stable after these latest changes but only time will tell.

Anyway an external antenna is on hold for now if/when it gets worse again. A lot of talk about a gateway replacement so maybe one with SMAs already on it?

Looks better exp for the secondary and that one counts a lot.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Because 192.168.12.1 is the local address for the administrator console.

Badge

Yes, I understand the gateway and my PC communicate via the LAN and do not need the internet for that. But the gateway also communicates with the internet and it seems sensible to me that it could use internet diagnostics such as pings to determine if its communication with the internet is functional.

Then there is the issue of whether the gateway can transfer traffic between its attached devices and the internet. Again it seems sensible to me that the gateway would have the diagnostic ability to determine that as well.

So bottom line I am still puzzled that an intelligent gateway can not correctly report  all this to its local users. In other words, why bother displaying a checkmark next to its “Internet connected” in the Overview tab if it means absolutely nothing. 

Sure looks like a gateway defect to me.