Solved

gateway-pc wireless connection

Badge

Hi.

A new user, and I was handed an ARC-KVD21. Have connected several devices easily, but the Windows 10 box won’t do it. The gateway gets a “good” signal.

Ethernet line works fine (on it now); wireless does not.

WLAN AutoConfig service is started and Windows power off is disabled.

Before attempting to make wireless connection I disable the Realtek local area connection. Unsure if this is actually necessary.

The odd thing is, starting WiFi in windows 10 does not work. It shuts itself off right after turning it on in Settings/WiFi.

I realize this is not strictly a T-Mobile issue (I believe) but I’m rooting around for fixes.

icon

Best answer by iTinkeralot 5 December 2022, 23:17

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

When you enable the wireless do you have the Ethernet cable disconnected or connected?

Was the wireless working before with a prior wireless router?

If you look in “System Information” and the hardware what is the adapter model?

Check in Control Panel and make sure the hardware does not have any alert. Maybe the system logging will provide some clues. If you have a USB wireless adapter about you might try another wireless adapter. I guess the one you are working with came installed in the client/laptop/desktop unit?

Badge

As for setting up wireless, I have tried both disabling the connection and pulling the cable - no difference.

Have not attempted wireless previously.

Adapter is original oem Atheros AR9285 ..

Wireless USB adapter is a great suggestion, but I do not have one handy. Amazon time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Atheros AR9285 Solution Highlights (Not a rocket in the pocket) Amazon Time!

• Supports up to 150 Mbps < wooohooo now we are thinking about it...

• Highly integrated single chip PCI Express CMOS solution with

MAC/baseband processor and 2.4 GHz radio

• Backward-compatible to 802.11g; forward–compatible to

multi-stream 802.11n

• Supports all mandatory IEEE 802.11n features:

– including several IEEE 802.11n optional features such as HT40, half-guard internal in HT40 and Rx Space Time Block Coding

• Compliant with IEEE 802.11b, 802.11d, 802.11e, 802.11g standards and 802.11i specification

Badge

Have ordered a usb adapter, delivering Wednesday.

Thank you sir for the interest!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That is probably the problem. The drivers are probably pretty old like 5-7 years and way out of date and I am sure there are NO updates for that dinosaur. 😎 

Hardware Security AES, TKIP, WEP

Authentication issue I would bet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You are welcome. I hope you have a good USB adapter on order. An 802.11ac or 802.11ax either one would be best. The “ax” will be a little more but I would go for it.

Badge

Setup never asks for authentication. It is an old box but no budget for replacement. In working through this debug the hardware has crossed my mind. I’ll be sure to reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well, if it does not do WPA/WPA2 or WPA3 then that would explain that.

Holy Cow Batman! AR9285-9-29-10 That will be a museum piece before long. Save it with the floppies!

https://www.insidegadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/AR9285.pdf

😎 Just kidding around. Old tech is still fun to tinker with at times.

Badge

No worries mate. This has been a worthy piece of equipment, and this is not its first encounter with obsolescence. TP-Link Nano USB WiFi Adapter for PC (Archer T3U Nano) - AC1300 2.4G/5G Dual Band on the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The TP-Link Nano should work just fine. Good that it supports up to 802.11ac. It should play pretty well and has the authentication and driver support. It should be much less trouble.

Badge

144 mbps right out of the box, no issues. Good work, your suggestion was spot on.

Badge

Forgot to add, it’s 802.11n

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Not bad. It must be in a USB 2.0 port. If the client has a USB port with a blue tongue vs white in the port that would be a USB 3.1 and would possibly provide better throughput. It will still come down to the adapter. It is an 802.11ac adapter so on 5Ghz with a USB 3.1 port it should do better. With USB 2.0 port and 2.4 Ghz the 144 MBs sounds about right. So, it will get the job done. 

If the gateway only receives roughly 150-200 MBs down that will be working fine. The cellular link will probably be the lower common denominator in the equation. 

Glad it put a smile on your face. Good deal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

the Archer T9UH utilizes WiFi 5 (802.11ac) connectivity according to the info on Amazon or you got a different version. 
Well, if it works and you are happy with it that is all that matters. 

Badge

Ah. This one’s AC1300 Archer T3U. It’s faster than what’s coming in, but really that’s ok for our usage.

Have ordered a usb adapter, delivering Wednesday.

Thank you sir for the interest!

Is there a usb that will enable my desktop to be wireless?

The password that is on my T-Mobile isn't working on the router. Is there another password I’m not seeing.