Question

GlobalProtect VPN issues... like many of you

• 6 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My company just switched to Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN. I know what that has meant for many of you and now I am in the same boat. I can connect, but that’s about it. Can’t remote desktop, etc.

I called TMO support and was told “at this time, GlobalProtect VPN is a known issue.” In fact, I was told that three times, and each time, I asked if they can push the 168 firmware (currently at 143) to my gateway because for some of you, that has fixed the issue. Support created a ticket for engineering. I’m guessing I won’t hear back.

I really don’t want to do the factory reset to get 168, but may have to.

I will give them a couple of days to get back to me. Xfinity (ugh) has a new intro rate of $29.95 for 12 month for 100Mbps.

For those that have GlobalProtect working with 168, any further issues?

8 replies

My company just switched to Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN. I know what that has meant for many of you and now I am in the same boat. I can connect, but that’s about it. Can’t remote desktop, etc.

I called TMO support and was told “at this time, GlobalProtect VPN is a known issue.” In fact, I was told that three times, and each time, I asked if they can push the 168 firmware (currently at 143) to my gateway because for some of you, that has fixed the issue. Support created a ticket for engineering. I’m guessing I won’t hear back.

I really don’t want to do the factory reset to get 168, but may have to.

I will give them a couple of days to get back to me. Xfinity (ugh) has a new intro rate of $29.95 for 12 month for 100Mbps.

For those that have GlobalProtect working with 168, any further issues?

It was really annoying, but currently my T-Mobile gateway firmware version 1.2101.00.1609 has no issues with GlobalProtect client version 5.2.8. Hooooooray!!

Hi, I ran into this issue after switching to home internet and found a solution that worked for me https://answers.uillinois.edu/illinois/page.php?id=85269 hope this helps someone.

Same situation here - new subscriber to the service, everything worked great day 1 (after I had already finished working from home for the day) - next morning I tried to log into my GP VPN - and it would connect, but nothing after that - 

Called TMobile and they downgraded my firmware to the 168 version - and it worked great after that - except I no longer get a “secondary signal”  Just a primary.  With the 178 firmware I got both and faster speeds.  But the speeds I get now are just good enough thankfully.

Userlevel 1

SOLVED! After days with my IT department and then with Global Protect in Pali Alto, here’s the bottom line. T-Mobile High speed broadband can’t handle IPv6 dynamic IPs therefore can’t communicate in internet. Global Protect can only handle IPv4.

There are no settings on T-Mobile gate way to make it just use IPv4.
Global Protect doesn’t have a fix/VON software to fix this advanced IPv6 communication 

I can access my company’s server for data files, outlook for email etc, but cannot access internet based apps like one login or any websites. Except MSN.com - explain that. Not even Google. Com.

Have to switch to my Verizon cell data hotspot to my company laptop to access internet. Then switch back to T-mobile when done with internet  

T-Mobile is using advanced technology that companies are not ready to handle, and will take them a long time to become compatible.

Since most users don’t have IOv6, there’s no rush to upgrade corporately. For example, they advise that all the scanner guns in our warehouse aren’t compatible with IPv6, so if they upgrade VPNs now, none of the equipment would work in the warehouse.

Nor are VPN providers putting resources into IPv6 compatibility.

im so annoyed that I switched to the T-Mobile high speed broadband new technology that NO ONE at T-Mobile advised this would be an issue. Even calling tech support, they had no idea what the issue would be. After my IT department figured it out I HAD TO CALL BACK T-MOBILE AND BRUNG THEM UP TO SPEED.  Am I in the twilight zone? Ridiculous 

So much for all this infrastructure across the US. If we get this new technology, then can’t connect with old technology being used by 99% of corporations, then we’re screwed until they decide to upgrade.

How can this be such a mystery in 2021. IPv6 has been in development for more than 10 years.  WHAT’s the holdup and lack of warning of the issue.

So annoyed that I switched to this with no heads up. I’m screwed now unless I switch back to my unreliable Cox cable internet that had service outages at least twice a week while I’ve been working from home.

Thanks for everyone before me for figuring this out.  It was an easy call to roll back the firmware and I’m online with GlobalProtect.  I’m glad it was also easy to find this which was the longest part after blaming the corporate firewall/security haha.

Worst provider and worst customer service, disconnecting my service as the tech support is horrible with no knowledge. Made a mistake by getting their home internet, will not come back, going to comcast now.

“168 was working perfectly for me on GP VPN, however, yesterday my firmware upgraded to 178 and now it no longer works.”

+1

I had some janky steps I could take when it stopped working occasionally even on 168, which no longer work on 178 now

roughly, that was remove wifi network on laptop, power everything off, wait about 30min, power everything on, re-add wifi config on laptop, lower MTU/disable ipv6.

on 168, it would occasionally still lose the ability to function and those steps got it working again.

been fighting with it all day expanding on those steps and adding more voodoo, but nothing has gotten it working again on 178

Badge

168 was working perfectly for me on GP VPN, however, yesterday my firmware upgraded to 178 and now it no longer works.