Question

google chromecasts and other streaming issues

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hbo max not working with chromecast among other issues. This internet is fast but if nothing connects to it what's the point? 

13 replies

Userlevel 1

Yes, chromecast definitely doesn’t work - run multiple tests and it’s clearly T-Mobile home internet that is the culprit. No workaround except to have a second network (which I still do, and is how I confirmed). Not a good outcome and needs a fix from TMO.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Its crazy because they go online and everything looks good.  And then the next day they are offline for no reason.  My google home speaker has not been able to connect at all.  This morning my nest hub max went offline and won’t go back on.  I am seriously getting annoyed.  I can connect my google wifi mesh but then I notice the speeds are slower.  WTF?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ever since I put my Google wifi Mesh on the Tmobile I have not had any issues.  Clearly there is something wrong with their wifi router.  My tvs were acting weird, Google devices constantly going offline, Streaming services not working.  I mentioned it to them but they say there is no issue.

Userlevel 1

All of my Google Homes don't work. They're online and I can change their volume from the Home app on my phone, but they don't cast or play music. Intermittently, they don't respond to Hey Google. The error message is "I'm sorry, something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds" 

The problem is because big companies do not create something that will easily work with another brand, all their devices created to work together but they don’t because of bureaucratism and money. Sorry for out off topic a bit, just emotions.

Userlevel 1

The issue comes from the wifi. I plugged into the gateway an external wifi router, and all the devices started working again, Google Home speakers and Chromecasts all resumed normal operation. 

It looks like the wifi that ships with the T-Mobile gateway is lacking, just bypass it.

The 5G seems to be working great 3 days into testing

Badge

I had the same problem  Initial set up worked for everything except google devices.  It has to do with Google assistant.  You have to sign your accounts into google and also google assistant or it doesn’t work.  It wasn’t like this before google updated recently.  Hopefully they will get it together.  On another note, my wifi keeps timing out and we have to keep resetting it.  Probably going to call it quit and go back to my cable company wifi.

Userlevel 1

All of my Google Homes don't work. They're online and I can change their volume from the Home app on my phone, but they don't cast or play music. Intermittently, they don't respond to Hey Google. The error message is "I'm sorry, something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds" 

Ditto. I have the same exact issue with all of my Google Assistant speakers and devices. T-Mobile, please help address this issue.

Userlevel 1

I had the same problem  Initial set up worked for everything except google devices.  It has to do with Google assistant.  You have to sign your accounts into google and also google assistant or it doesn’t work.  It wasn’t like this before google updated recently.  Hopefully they will get it together.  On another note, my wifi keeps timing out and we have to keep resetting it.  Probably going to call it quit and go back to my cable company wifi.

Same for me. This is clearly something to do with any Google device that has Google Assistant attached to it. I have the same issue with no resolution.

Userlevel 1

The issue comes from the wifi. I plugged into the gateway an external wifi router, and all the devices started working again, Google Home speakers and Chromecasts all resumed normal operation. 

It looks like the wifi that ships with the T-Mobile gateway is lacking, just bypass it.

The 5G seems to be working great 3 days into testing

I agree with you, sadly. I was really kind of excited for this to work out with one device. But I too have a pretty decent 5G signal and may have to look to other options for routing my devices. 

This may help out with Chromecast and Google Home issues. By default, the TMobile Gateway sets up 3 wifi radios for wifi, all with the same SSID name, one on 2.4GHz (SSID1), one on 5Ghz low (SSID5) and one on 5GHz high (SSID9). It seems that the Chromecast doesn't see SSID5 and SSID9 as the same network, even if they have the same name. So, if your Google Home device happened to connect to SSID5 and your Chromecast connected to SSID9, they appear to be on different networks and will not see each other. 

My solution was to go into the web based router login page for the gateway and turn off one of the 5GHZ radios, so there is only one enabled and it will force both devices to connect to the same one. In my case, I disabled SSID5 and they both reconnected to SSID9 and were able to find each other.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For the record, I own a Chromecast and it’s been working with T-Mobile home internet since day one, without having to do any special configuration. Is your device running the latest software? Is there good wifi coverage in the area where the device is located? Are there any issues with other streaming devices (Fire TV, Roku, etc.)?

I'm not sure if you were responding to me on this, but I personally never had an issue with operating my Chromecast with the TMobile Gateway using its remote. The only issue I had was getting the Google Home and Google TV app on my phone to recognize it so that I could use my phone as the remote on occasion. Once I turned off the additional 5Ghz SSID, forcing a connection to the same SSID on both devices, everything was fine. Yes, I regularly check for sw updates on my devices. I just posted this about the WiFi network issue for those still experiencing a problem to try, since I had that experience.