Question

gray tmobile 5g gateway port forwarding

• 15 January 2021
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone,

So I recently signed up for TMobile home internet and while everything's working fine as far (mind you it's only been a week) one of the main issues I'm having is that it appears the main gateway has extremely limited customizability.  For the normal user this wouldn't be a issue but one thing I do need is the ability to set up port forwarding for some of my devices.

Does anyone know if this was fixed in a newer version of the firmware and I'm missing an upgrade or if this is something they heard is being fixed?  Unfortunately for me it's a deal breaker and I'd hate to have to stay with Comcast...

Firmware Version:1.2003.03.0143

This topic has been closed for comments

22 replies

Userlevel 2

Yo, I’m in the exact same boat. I’d actually like the modem to JUST be a modem and let my router do the routing work.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey T-Mobile, we need bridge mode to work else this isn’t more then a WIFI hot spot, not a replacement for home internet!

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is what I thought too, it was like real internet.. But it is just a big hotspot, no options for lan or wan. Only thing I can do it change the wifi name and password. 

I think in a later firmware update will bring all the rest of the settings I hope anyway we need the settings the 4Glte router has it bring it to the new router damnit lol

Hello everyone,

I too was disappointed to find out I could not forward any ports with the 5g21 gray gateway. I wanted to access my security camera NVR remotely. I worked on this for a few days and came up with a work around to allow me to forward the port I needed to access my NVR. FYI it’s not free but not expensive either. $60.00 a year. You will need to setup a VPN and connect your device using the VPN service. OVPN.com is the service I chose because the port does not expire as long as you are connected to the same server on their VPN. The site has several guides to help you configure your router or in my case a router and a Raspberry Pi. I have had it up and running several days now. The servers are fast. I get between 40 - 60 MBPS download and between 24 - 30 MBPS upload using their US based VPN servers. You will also need to setup a DDNS if your application requires it for remote access. I recommend NOIP.com. Great thing about NOIP.com is the basic account is FREE.

T-mobiles home internet is 3 times faster than the DSL I had through Consolidated Communications. I see speeds when I’m not connected thru the VPN router of 60 - 120 MBPS download and 20 - 50 MBPS upload.   

I am willing to pay the $60.00 as a temporary fix in hopes T-mobile opens up ports on their 5g21 gray gateway.

Hope this helps. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Giving them a little more time to sort things out, as the only functionality I have lost so far is remote access to a laptop hosting an oldschool media server.

Whenever I get back to multiplayer games on the consoles, this will become more critical.  Hopefully they resolve this by then... I don't really want to go back to Spectrum again, but at least if I have to I will qualify for a promotional rate as a "new" customer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I hope you’re right  @djb14336 in giving them more time. I tend to agree.

I don’t want to go back to xfinity, but I hope Tmo understands that advanced users are needed in this forum to help other users, and advanced users just won’t stick around w/o advanced configurations. I for one would like to configure DNS.

I hope this is  temporary and Tmob will address this here in the forum.

Userlevel 3
Badge

In 26 days I’ll be considered a new sub at spectrum, so I suppose they have 25 days to deploy bridge mode else this gets canceled and I move back.

They sold me home internet, I received a wired WIFI hotspot.  Think someone in product management messed up and said SHIP IT before the engineers were done explaining what they have.

Userlevel 1

Same situation…..  want to tell Comcast Business where to go but I have to have port forwarding.  The speed is great (upload much better than Comcast), the cost is awesome, the WiFi range is excellent. 

I had to work out issues I had connecting to Citrix and some one other connection sensitive apps which were resolved buy using low MTU. BUT, port forwarding is essential.  Additional router setting would be nice also.  

I tried running it through my Google Hub Router but no-go.  I am working on a temp solution to hold me over until they send out an update but it is inconvenient.

T-Mobile, please ease our pain, update our routers with a sweet, sweet solution….

Userlevel 3
Badge

I another post somewhere on this Community, a user shared an email they got back form TMO basically stating there is nothing wrong with the Gateway and there are no VPN issues.

It does not look like TMO is listening or at least they are not going to address this.  Back to cable we all go.  Such a disappointment.

Here: 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It does not look like TMO is listening or at least they are not going to address this.  Back to cable we all go.  Such a disappointment.

With any luck, at least we can get a new introductory offer...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

At least this. Make advanced settings available as a separate screen with a warning when you open it.

I’m sure that TMO didn’t want to make things complicated on first roll out, but they have make advanced settings available. I just want to be able to pick my own DNS! If they want to be a real ISP like the big boys, they have to do this.

Btw, no problem with my VPN to work (Aruba VIA).

Userlevel 1

Has anyone figured this out or can you call them to open ports? Has anyone asked when or if there will be a firmware update? I have double a bad double bat can’t access anything and there’s no way I’m connect straight to a router with no firewall options. 
 Seems there last model have expert options but this one doesn’t.  

In the meantime I’ve join this Community on Reddit

Same situation…..  want to tell Comcast Business where to go but I have to have port forwarding.  The speed is great (upload much better than Comcast), the cost is awesome, the WiFi range is excellent. 

I had to work out issues I had connecting to Citrix and some one other connection sensitive apps which were resolved buy using low MTU. BUT, port forwarding is essential.  Additional router setting would be nice also.  

I tried running it through my Google Hub Router but no-go.  I am working on a temp solution to hold me over until they send out an update but it is inconvenient.

T-Mobile, please ease our pain, update our routers with a sweet, sweet solution….

How low of a MTU, I was just on the phone with Meraki support for 2 hours, we set the MTU to 1300 and it may not have been low enough.

I have a Meraki at home to support my remote office.  Worked fine with Comcast, but when I switched to this T-Mobile ISP Gateway, no go.  It’s blocking the ports and there’s no way to open them.  Very disappointed, hope they get this fixed real soon.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I too was disappointed to find out I could not forward any ports with the 5g21 gray gateway. I wanted to access my security camera NVR remotely. I worked on this for a few days and came up with a work around to allow me to forward the port I needed to access my NVR. FYI it’s not free but not expensive either. $60.00 a year. You will need to setup a VPN and connect your device using the VPN service. OVPN.com is the service I chose because the port does not expire as long as you are connected to the same server on their VPN. The site has several guides to help you configure your router or in my case a router and a Raspberry Pi. I have had it up and running several days now. The servers are fast. I get between 40 - 60 MBPS download and between 24 - 30 MBPS upload using their US based VPN servers. You will also need to setup a DDNS if your application requires it for remote access. I recommend NOIP.com. Great thing about NOIP.com is the basic account is FREE.

T-mobiles home internet is 3 times faster than the DSL I had through Consolidated Communications. I see speeds when I’m not connected thru the VPN router of 60 - 120 MBPS download and 20 - 50 MBPS upload.   

I am willing to pay the $60.00 as a temporary fix in hopes T-mobile opens up ports on their 5g21 gray gateway.

Hope this helps. :sunglasses:

Can you explain more about how you got the VPN working to access your home devices?
I understand how a VPN works for browsing the net privately, but I am not sure how you can use a VPN to access your home server.
Do you connect your home devices to the VPN service and then connect your phone or other device to that same VPN from outside your house?
Are you setting up your own private VPN network?
Do you have to have your own IPV4 IP address?
Thanks in advance. I know a lot of people have been looking for a workaround for the lack of IPV4 IP addresses on TMO Home Internet.
Or maybe start a new thread so we can learn how it’s done.
Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 3
Badge

You will not have port forwarding anytime now or the near future.

The service at this point in time is for the typical plug and play home, which is most likely around 90%+ of American homes. 

They do not want their service used for anything more then this, it would overtax the amount of bandwidth available and the same goes for the other home cell internet providers.

Sure there are legitimate home uses but no way to regulate between home and commercial use. 

These are my thoughts, I just don't anything changing anytime soon. 

Userlevel 1

I signed up because of the straight forward deal - it did say home internet, but it’s not.  The gateway arrived yesterday- this morning I realized it has no configuration options . Options like dns reservations, port forwarding that is available in the most basic routers.   I am disappointed.  I will likely keep it a month or so , get my Xbox up to date then move on.   It does not support any inbound operations such as viewing a camera .   It double Nat’s Xbox or similar devices.  If I could get a inbound vpn to work I would keep it . I am use to using Cisco anyconnect.  

one ray of hope - custom service filled out a customer pain point form for me - the person had limited technical understanding but did say they was working on a solution for Xbox. If they create some form of port forwarding then I likely could come up with a solution for viewing my cameras.  

Apple HomeKit does not work.  

they should not sell this as home internet- it’s for people who need a hotspot- not for someone who has any devices - cameras , game consoles , lights , remote thermostat , vpn , etc .  I would be most happy with a bridge mode . 

Userlevel 1

I am beyond frustrated. Home Internet MUST include all the standard configurations that every basic modem/router provides, especially after we’ve spent a year changing our lives to work from home due to Covid-19. Home Internet is not just browsing the web and Netflix, it includes smart home devices that are cloud enabled, gaming with friends, VPN connections to work, video conferencing, and much more.

This device is useless to me beyond surfing the web and I feel like we need some official responses on this forum. The speed of this service means nothing if my entire household network is broken and unusable because of an internal decision to limit the devices basic features.

Userlevel 1
Badge

the complaints regarding ‘bridge mode’ and ‘port forwarding’ are for the most part invalid.  most just want to serve up a plex system to share videos with family and friends and reach back into their homes data systems for wahtever reason.

… easily fixed by using actual cloud services.

personally, the only issue i have seen that may be a source is dealing with UPnP apps that like to poke security holes in your router to play games… again, also solved by using a VPN.

… just use a VPN and your problems are fixed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not exactly... not all VPN's work the same way.

We are already "tunneling" as is (XLAT464), dripping MSS down to 1380 or worse.  While many VPN's will set MTU low enough to work with this, some do not.  There is also the issue of dealing with port traversal, which isn't handled the same way with ALL VPN's.

A major selling point for the service is the cost savings over the locally available traditional ISP... the additional cost and unwanted complexity of running everything Iin the home across a router based VPN is NOT what people are generally bargaining for.  Also consider people comfortable with setting somethimg like that likely have a more advanced network already, which requires them to have the same advanced configuration options available.

They are marketing this as a sort of direct replacement for the traditional ISP, which it obviously is not.  Either they need to fix that marketing and coach their associates to understand and more clearly disclose this to potential cuatomers... or fix their dual-stack approach to more properly support these much needed/requested functions.

Badge

I just want to be able to connect to work!  I cannot connect via Cisco VPN :(
I can use my phone hotspot and it works just fine. 

I’m looking forward to an update to get this issue fixed.