Question

having inconsistent internet issues

• 24 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

We live in a remote area so have very limited internet options. 
They finally got T-Mobile and for the free month it was absolutely amazing. Getting 20 ping, 250 download, and 80 upload. I game daily and create content and have had no issues until recently. 
The last week and a half the internet has been awful. 
the ping is between 80-150 download is around 80-200, but upload is 2 or under (mostly .40) 

I called and their tech support is just saying people are using the internet so that’s why it’s slow, but why did it work before and not now? 
I am trying to play warzone and it’s impossible. The speeds seem really inconsistent one second it’ll be normal then the upload plummets or the ping becomes really high. 
Is this normal? 

1 reply

Unfortunately, yes, that’s normal.  T-Mobile’s home internets service is not for the user who needs decent consistent performance, ie, gamers, online realtime classrooms, work from home users, etc.  Your performance is actually better than mine - my download speed frequently drops to 2 - 3 mbs and everything starts buffering, and my upload speed is similar to yours.

I’ve got 18 months of frustrating history with T-Mobile at this point and the only things they’re good at is lying about how they’re going to fix my problems and then whining about how sorry they are when they fail miserably to do anything useful. 

I’ve swapped out their gateway multiple times with zero improvement.  Currently waiting on another gateway swap, this time supposedly to a newer model.  Also currently waiting on yet another tower upgrade that is “...guaranteed to correct your problems...”.  Supposedly they’ve upgraded three towers in my area, each of which was ...guaranteed to correct your problems...”.  Not optimistic about the tower upgrade - hoping the gateway might help.

I’ve got a little more time on the discounted rate they gave me because of all the trouble I’ve had, but if the new gateway doesn’t fix things, I’m going to try Verizon’s new wireless internet service.  If that doesn’t work out, I’m headed back to Cox.  They were (at least for me) on the expensive side, but rock-solid reliable and fast.