Question

Heat causing inoperable gateway

• 25 June 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

My gateway becomes so hot you can't touch it. I bought a small fan that seems to reduce the amount of times I have to restart it. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If it is too hot to touch you should get it replaced ASAP. Don’t put it off thinking it will get any better. 

Badge

This is my second modem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thats not very reassuring. Number 1 must be watching you. I am guessing you have the Arcadyan gateway and not the Nokia gateway. Just guessing but I have seen posts that suggest the Arcadyan can have heat issues the same as some of the Nokia gateways have experienced. 

Badge

No I have the Nokia. After reading other posts it seems that this is an issue with a lot of gateways. It honks me off that Tmobile claims to be "working on" these issues. I spoke with one technician that all but said they knew that these gateways had problems but released them anyway. I find it interesting that the software for these devices has never been updated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do you use any sort off power conditioning? I run APC UPS units on all my equipment. If you are having repeated issues maybe checking voltage and power delivery would be something to do. If your gateway is directly connected to the outlet and not to a multi-port power strip with other devices that at least reduced variables. Having worked in networking for years I have encountered cases where power problems were present and can lead to odd behavior for electronic gear. I know it seems strange but been there and had to deal with such issues. Odd issues are hard to track down at times. 

Badge

Is your reference to #1 from The Prisoner?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Nokia gateway software has been updated at least 4 times I am sure of as I have one. I got mine during the BETA period at the very beginning of 2021. So I have always thought there might be some hardware revision changes as I have NO heat issues with my Nokia.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My reference was to Monsters Inc. I love that one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My Nokia runs firmware revision: 1.2201.00.0313 and as far as I know that is the most recent version. I believe it received that a week or so ago at most. Still running fine. Currently rocking 134 Mbs down and 53 Mbs up so it is in top form right now.