Question

Home Internet - 4G LTE vs 5G

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

My Primary Signal is 4 bars / B66 and my Secondary Signal is 3 bars / n71.  My download speeds are less than 100 Mbps.  Does that mean I’m operating over 4G LTE instead of 5G?

42 replies

I'm getting the faster speed through the gateway now since I got the secondary signal back, Whatever they tweaked 2 days ago is working now. Hope it lasts.

Back to B41 primary and no secondary and speed back down to 70mps...WTF

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I added a couple dedicated cooling fans (one on top and one on bottom) to see if it helps the stability of my connection.  After doing this and moving the modem back up on to a table from the floor, my primary signal is on B66 at 6/6 bars.  My secondary signal is disconnected.  I just did a speed test and got 77 Mbps down and 46 Mbps up.  These speeds are consistent with what I’ve gotten in the past which makes me think my secondary signal has never been used because it’s been too weak.  According to cellmapper the tower I am closest to is only 4G.  And if I go back to the T-Mobile page to check if I’m eligible for the service, it says I’m not.  I wonder if I got it by mistake.  Hopefully my tower will be upgraded at some point in the future and I’ll have a nice 5G connection.

It is not about 2 bar vs 3 bar. I am on intersection of N41 and N71. N41 only get 2 bar but speed is 200mbps and N71 get 3 bar but get 17mbps - 25 mbps. Because N71 is more strong , it is staying on N71 most of time and sometime it switch to N41. Trying to find out how to keep on N41. Looked N41 location and direction on cellmapper.net and placed router at the best place but still goes back and forth between N71 and N41. I know primary always stays on B22 (4G) but secondary switch makes diff so I assume it actually used secondary signal.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think I am in the same boat.  I’m experimenting with different rotation angles right now.  I can boot up on n41 for a couple days but then eventually I fall back to n71.  Maybe I’m not patient enough but I have yet to see it go back to n41 without me rebooting first.

My primary is B66 with 2 bars and my secondary is N41 with 3 bars. Download speeds are fantastic.  The lowest I have seen is 200 megabits.  It is 310 megabits many times.  The upload speed is between 7-10 megabits.

Why aren’t primary and secondary the other way around?  Should I be getting faster upload speeds?  I am less than 1,000  feet from a T-Mobile tower.  The elevations are about the same but there are a couple buildings in between.

10 days and it has been very good.  Xfinity is now cancelled.

You are getting good speed. enjoy it.

I think concept of primary and secondary is confusing but I feel when secondary is available, it is always using secondary and speed on secondary is changing based on the throttling logic and it is based on load on tower. For me primary is B2 and secondary mostly N71. Sometimes I get N41 which gives me 200 mbps but it does not stay of N41 and most of time falls back to N71. Now at night time , I get 80-110 mbps but at day time it falls 11-18 mbps on N71. I don’t need much speed but what I don’t like that the day time throttling is giving less then what is promised (min 25 mbps) and I know it is throttling because at night time without changing any position of device, it starts giving 80-110 mbps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

You guys are lucky. My normal speeds are between less than 1 Mps to less than 10 Mbps.

Firstly, I love being away from my cable company. I hate Spectrum for so many reasons.

Next, I have a T-Mobile grey cylinder gateway. I’ve attached a Mimo panel antenna to it. The tower I connect to regularly is ¾ a mile from my home. My average internet ping is 39-150. Average download speed is between .05-39 Mbps. Average upload speed is between 10-35. All of my values are fluctuating constantly, even when utilized on ‘off-peak’ hours, say 2:00 AM.

My primary signal is 4G and it’s usually at 2 bars. RSRP between -105 & -100, SNR 4 to 4, RSRQ -20 to -15.

My secondary signal is 5G and it’s usually at 4 bars. RSRP between -76 to -83, SNR 6 to 12, RSRQ -12.

I’ve asked T-Mobile several times how or why my 4G signal is so much weaker than my 5G since 4G is stronger, travels further, penetrates more etc. No one can answer me. I’ve also asked why my 5G signal can be so good and my numbers be so low at off hours and no one can answer me. I had actually been told by one representative that the home gateway does not use any 4G bands to operate (I don’t think that’s the case).

I have seen that my secondary signal will disconnect randomly. It will then establish a connection with band n41 and the speeds and consistency are fantastic. Shortly there after it will switch to n71 and everything just comes to a standstill. No one at T-Mobile can tell me why for that either.

I’m a regular caller, maybe twice a day since I’ve gotten service at my residence a month and a half ago. I’ve asked to speak with someone, anyone with technical knowledge and that is not a thing that they do.

Since there is no one that works at T-Mobile with any technical knowledge, is there anyone here that can help illuminate my situation over here? Oh right, the T-Mobile coverage map has me dead center in a 5GUC area as well, if that helps with anything.

Firstly, I love being away from my cable company. I hate Spectrum for so many reasons. Next, I have a T-Mobile grey cylinder gateway. I’ve attached a Mimo panel antenna to it. The tower I connect to regularly is ¾ a mile from my home. My average internet ping is 39-150. Average download speed is between .05-39 Mbps. Average upload speed is between 10-35. All of my values are fluctuating constantly, even when utilized on ‘off-peak’ hours, say 2:00 AM.

My primary signal is 4G and it’s usually at 2 bars. RSRP between -105 & -100, SNR 4 to 4, RSRQ -20 to -15.

My secondary signal is 5G and it’s usually at 4 bars. RSRP between -76 to -83, SNR 6 to 12, RSRQ -12.

I’ve asked T-Mobile several times how or why my 4G signal is so much weaker than my 5G since 4G is stronger, travels further, penetrates more etc. No one can answer me. I’ve also asked why my 5G signal can be so good and my numbers be so low at off hours and no one can answer me. I had actually been told by one representative that the home gateway does not use any 4G bands to operate (I don’t think that’s the case).

I have seen that my secondary signal will disconnect randomly. It will then establish a connection with band n41 and the speeds and consistency are fantastic. Shortly there after it will switch to n71 and everything just comes to a standstill. No one at T-Mobile can tell me why for that either.

I’m a regular caller, maybe twice a day since I’ve gotten service at my residence a month and a half ago. I’ve asked to speak with someone, anyone with technical knowledge and that is not a thing that they do.

Since there is no one that works at T-Mobile with any technical knowledge, is there anyone here that can help illuminate my situation over here? Oh right, the T-Mobile coverage map has me dead center in a 5GUC area as well, if that helps with anything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Firstly, I love being away from my cable company. I hate Spectrum for so many reasons.

Next, I have a T-Mobile grey cylinder gateway. I’ve attached a Mimo panel antenna to it. The tower I connect to regularly is ¾ a mile from my home. My average internet ping is 39-150. Average download speed is between .05-39 Mbps. Average upload speed is between 10-35. All of my values are fluctuating constantly, even when utilized on ‘off-peak’ hours, say 2:00 AM.

Firstly, I love being away from my cable company. I hate Spectrum for so many reasons. Next, I have a T-Mobile grey cylinder gateway. I’ve attached a Mimo panel antenna to it. The tower I connect to regularly is ¾ a mile from my home. My average internet ping is 39-150. Average download speed is between .05-39 Mbps. Average upload speed is between 10-35. All of my values are fluctuating constantly, even when utilized on ‘off-peak’ hours, say 2:00 AM.

My primary signal is 4G and it’s usually at 2 bars.

RSRP between -105 & -100

SNR 4 to 4

RSRQ -20 to -15.

My secondary signal is 5G and it’s usually at 4 bars.

RSRP between -76 to -83

SNR 6 to 12

RSRQ -12

So I have a m71 2 miles to the NW, a n41 3 miles to the SW and the B66 .5 miles to the W.

Puts me in a messed up spot as the can depending on where I place it could not make up it’s mind. I want the n41 since its crazy fast.

I have discovered the can needs a good 4G to make use of the 5G.

I have many post about my history but in the end I installed an external antenna pointed it at the n41 tower and the rest is history. Can stays locked on that n41 24/7 like a rock never a blip.

With your weak 4g and seem competing 5g n71 vs n42 you need to find the exact locations of each and make a plan how to hold the n41 and the 4g solid. I found cellmapper to be way out of date and mostly useless. I called TM tech asked them of the locations of al the towers and bands in my area and then used Google maps to plot out my plan.

Also radio waves are funny if I move my external antennal just a few feet either way signal changes so there are sweet spots you have to find.

My situation is that band 41 signal is not as strong as band 71. Data rate I get on 41 is useless so device reverts to the B66 4g signal. When I can stay on 71 I get 3 bars and between 100 and 150 Mbs. At all other times everything is at 2 bars with data rates ranging from 5 to  25 Mbs.

I wish there was some way to lock on to the band 71 signal.

Badge

My situation is that band 41 signal is not as strong as band 71. Data rate I get on 41 is useless so device reverts to the B66 4g signal. When I can stay on 71 I get 3 bars and between 100 and 150 Mbs. At all other times everything is at 2 bars with data rates ranging from 5 to  25 Mbs.

I wish there was some way to lock on to the band 71 signal.

Same here. When my can is on n71, I get satisfactory down/up speeds. But when it switches to n41, all internet traffic stops. Zilch. I’m on a first name basis with several T-Mobile reps. Have several engineering trouble tickets open. I won’t go back to cable but about to look at Verizon’s 5G Home internet product 

My sentiments exactly! I will say that performance is improving. I don't have to call quite as often and now many times it's only to let them know it happened again. Most times I can get back to the good bands myself by powering off, unplugging and letting it sit for a couple of minutes. The time between failures is increasing.

Like you, there's no way on God's green earth I'm going back to Spectrum. I'd rather suffer some than deal with them.

My experiences seem to indicate that with the n41 band operating on the higher frequency, that unless the cell tower is almost in your backyard and no obstructions, the ability for it to carry much data is lost. As a result you will probably be operating on the 4g band 2 or b66 and not the 5g band. Since n71 is a lower frequency 5g band I get the best results when it is my secondary.

I’d like to know the answer to this, too. My primary is B41 and secondary, which I only have occasionally, is N71. Download speeds are usually around 75-80 mps. Sometimes the download speeds reach into the 200mps range but only for short periods.

I, too, would like to know the solution to this. My primary is B41, and my secondary is N71, which I only get on rare occasions. The average download speed is 75-80 Mbps. Download speeds can occasionally exceed 200 Mbps, but only for a brief time. For my lol dolls shop, I'm the best on the internet. Please suggest something to me.

Good discussion. 2ndary pops between N41 and N71. 2ndary always better than B2 but on N41 its close. Speeds super when on N42.eg 400 with downloads more variable 10-30. When on N71 speeds food eg around 200. T-Mobile is adding sprint towers etc so there is likely to be changes to signal in an area over time with a lot of expansion NY 2023? Frequency is signal important here as sprint is faster nut not penetrate as much and more likely to be affected by interference. So distance from tower, frequency, interference all are factors and specific to an individual. It does seem that they are using the secondary signal in my case. Its the same for my cell. It is my understanding the cell can use all bands in a "layer cake" type association but not sure if this is the case with home internet. The only problem I have had is the data coming down is interrupted despite strong wifi connection. Only rebooting corrects this completely. I can reboot by being on the wifi on the modem and going into the app to reboot. This seemed to happen once or twice day but now ?? less. What is causing this to happen is unclear. Would not be able to reboot if away from home which would be a problem but have read that Tmobile tech can do this remotely if you push them but have not confirmed this. Otherwise the internet seems to work quite well on my many device setup.

Because frequency, range, and signal strength are so important, and the fact that home internet MUST be consistent,  and the distance for home is fixed,  T-Moblile MUST provide  something in the User Interface to allow us to lock on to the signal that best fits our location and needs.