Question

Home internet and DirecTV

Badge

Just received my T-mobile home interenet yesterday (gray cylinder). Set up was easy and it’s super fast on all my mobile devices, the problem is the network isn’t even appearing as an option when I try to connect my DirecTV receiver wirelessly. Looking for anyone who experienced a similar issue and found a way to make it work,

10 replies

Badge

Is your WiFi broadcasting both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal?

Badge

I believe so. I set it up straight out of the box and didn’t make any changes and I thought that was the default for the router.

Badge

I would start by double checking that. If it is running both bands you could try separating them out into their own SSIDs to see if that helps.

Badge

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that. Appreciate the help.

Badge

I hope it helps! I’m curious to see whether it does or not. It seems odd to me that the DirecTV doesn’t see the connection at all. Good luck!

Badge

It’s really odd. Nothing else in my house is having a problem finding the network. The fact that it’s just the DirecTV receiver is what’s throwing me for a loop. It only sees 3 networks in total, whereas every other device in my house picks up about 10 wireless networks.

Badge

FYI - created a second netword SSID that’s only broadcasting at 5 GHz and it solved the problem.. 

How do u create a separate Ssid that's only broadcasting at 5 GHz oon your t mobile router 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Nokia allows multiple SSIDs on each radio and is easy to add via the WEB GUI. It will allow up to 4 per radio. I run two different SSIDs on my Nokia using all three bands. It is quite handy actually. If you have specific clients that you want to take off the LAN but want to leave others having the two different SSIDs works great. You don’t see this on the other T-Mobile gateways. It is all in the manual for the Nokia gateway. I would never want the two newer gateways. The Nokia works just fine for me. 

SSID 1-4 / 2.4GHz

SSID 5-8 / low band 5GHz

SSID 9-12 / high band 5GHz

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If the Direct TV is only 802.11n capable it will probably not play well with dual band. Having just the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz will probably work fine. I have seen a few cases where older 802.11n devices did not play well with the 802.11ax (wifi 6) of the T-Mobile gateway. I can’t determine for sure but I believe it is due to the older drivers and how the wifi 6 handles band steering. Sure, it should allow for backward capatability but some times older devices with old drivers just don’t play well.