Solved

Home internet and gaming

• 11 January 2021
  • 40 replies

Badge

Hello. So I got T mobile home internet, due to the best available in my area being AT&T (which I despise).

After running a speedtest, I was thrilled to see the results. I’m a big gamer, and faster is better! Or so I thought. Trying to play PC games, I was constantly errored out and disconnected. Wondering why, and getting pretty upset, I hit google to find answers. Apparently its a port forwarding issue? I’m not that savvy when it comes to these things.

My question is, is there any kind of fix? Or should I just count my losses, stick with AT&T?

icon

Best answer by PinkMagenta 10 March 2021, 06:47

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

40 replies

I’m in the same boat as you, unfortunately. Great speed on my PC, but constant errors and disconnections for my PS5 and Roku TV, whether wired or wifi. My PC Internet has occasional problems as well. I called them last Thursday and opened a support ticket but am yet to hear back, I’ll probably call them again later today or tomorrow to see if there are any updates. I’m not optimistic that they’ll have any solutions though, I wish everything would just work so I can drop my slow AT&T Internet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s the same here in San Diego.  Speeds are fantastic especially for my area.  Few streaming boxes or external devices will work with it to any extent at all.  Things like Directv, roku , samsung tv, they can sometimes get through setup but it’s problematic to actually stream anything for any length of time without errors.

Also the PC SEEMS to work well, and it does on most things, but playing games with steam results in frequent disconnects, and things like uploading videos to facebook rarely work.

It’s just too flakey for normal day to day use.  I have Verizon home internet which is much slower (50Mbps vs 140 Mbps) but it suffers NONE of these issues.  Everything connects, streams and works fine on Verizon, its just WAY slower.

SO for now I’m keeping both and hoping they fix T-Mobile.  I am getting 140 Mbps with 4G, and I am in a T-Mobile 5G area so once they turn on 5G for home internet it’s going to be blazing fast.  I just hope the bugs are worked out by then.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

IPv4 is basically like carrier grade NAT (goes through an IPv4>6>4 tunnelling process).

As such, the white boxes just don't deal well with games requiring port forwarding to work.  The new gray ones may fair better if they are letting you use full IPv6 and such, or at least actual bridge mode.

Waiting for some more details to come out on the new models.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the new gray router.  It does NOT do well with streaming or gaming.

Badge

I have the gray one as well. There are no options in the gateway for port forwarding or anything. I hate to cancel my service since the speed is such an improvement, but if I can’t play any games online there’s no point.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yea that’s the problem.  It’s hard to cancel a service that is so fast.  But it’s so poorly suited to general internet use you almost have to.  For now I will just use it to download and update games/programs faster.  It’s too frustrating to use for anything else.

Have had the home internet for a few weeks now. General use it is pretty good. 130d/45u with 60-80ms most anywhere in the US. However, when you start playing a game, something gets “bursty” quite frequently, which causes your gameplay to be choppy. Absolutely unplayable for FPS games. I have monitored the latency while the choppiness is happening via onscreen networking stats to the gaming server, and it “appears” fine, but gameplay is anything but. Man, I REALLY wanted this to work so that I could kick Mediacom to the curb (and I love TMO), but this service really needs more time to mature.

I installed my home internet on Jan 7( grey tower). I have had issues with upnp when playing on my Xbox. Games play fine (destiny) I just can’t join or start a chat party. As others have said there are no settings on n this new gateway device. As a workaround I use my phone and the Xbox app to join or start chat parties and this has been working. Not ideal but until I can fix the nat issues it will do. Speed is great ~150 dn, -30up. Latency has been 60-120.

We have an open ticket on this AGAIN.  Its not a constant stream so the TV, even through tvision buffers and the ps5 glitches. Not having porting available doesn't help. I hope they fix this soon or we have to go back to Xfinity.  Watching tvision on my TV from my wifi hot spot. Running 70 down and buffers non stop. This shouldn't be happening. Unfortunately you can't do a straight connection with ethernet to tvision hub so that option is out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Has anyone tried using a VPN to tunnel through the router?

VPN fails miserably, as does VoIP,  FTP, and any SERVER-SIDED IP security check.

Just set this up yesterday (gray cylinder). Live in the woods in Missouri. Download 35mps and upload 2.5. 80-100ms. Oddly enough, it is blazing fast for streaming tv (no buffering) and my son said he had no trouble pc gaming. He was quite upset when we tested first and he saw 98ms come up but he said he hasn’t seen an issue. We’ll test it a few more days.

Our setup: Ethernet out of router to a simple Netgear 5-port switch. Ethernet out to my son’s pc and ethernet out to a Netgear Powerline wifi extender. I have the Roku tv connected to the wifi extender.

Not sure if our setup has anything to do with anything but figured I would weigh in.

Just set this up yesterday (gray cylinder). Live in the woods in Missouri. Download 35mps and upload 2.5. 80-100ms. Oddly enough, it is blazing fast for streaming tv (no buffering) and my son said he had no trouble pc gaming. He was quite upset when we tested first and he saw 98ms come up but he said he hasn’t seen an issue. We’ll test it a few more days.

Our setup: Ethernet out of router to a simple Netgear 5-port switch. Ethernet out to my son’s pc and ethernet out to a Netgear Powerline wifi extender. I have the Roku tv connected to the wifi extender.

Not sure if our setup has anything to do with anything but figured I would weigh in.

Either there’s been an update, and/or something in your setup is ‘helpful’. Other than signal quality, only thing I can think of is there’s some glitches in the firmware for the Gray Trash Can and the internal ‘switching’ capabilities are using way more resources than necessary, or it’s not clearing connections. I once had an old WRT54G, one of the ultra-cost-cut revisions, that would turn into a laggfest as soon as it’s tiny RAM was filled up with cached connections. The cache allocated was so tiny, and the CPU so slow, that it was utterly incapable of supporting more than 1 modern (2011ish) internet connected ‘gaming’ PC. Perhaps, the switch is letting some load off, or preventing an internal trace-level interference problem in the gateway?

I just set up my Gray Tower of Power earlier today. Only have tried out Killing Floor 2 on PC, and no problems so far. Wife’s been playing Terraria on PC on it okay since I set it up too. (I live rural in the PNW, near a major Interstate. I only get 2-3 bars of signal strength where I have it setup @ the moment, but will move it to a more optimal position later. So far, 50-60mbps down with 30-60ms ping. Vs. 20-30mbps down with 15-40ms ping on my bonded DSL. Can’t recall uploads, but it was about 2x more bandwidth as set up versus the UL on my DSL.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

IPv4 is basically like carrier grade NAT (goes through an IPv4>6>4 tunnelling process).

As such, the white boxes just don't deal well with games requiring port forwarding to work.  The new gray ones may fair better if they are letting you use full IPv6 and such, or at least actual bridge mode.

Waiting for some more details to come out on the new models.

Actually the  white Askey gateways work great with both streaming and gaming. I had no issues with my Series X and playing as well as XBL party chats, also Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime all worked flawlessly. 

I requested an up grad to the new grey Nokia gateways and while I got faster speeds and lower pings I could no longer join XBL parties with friends. Streaming still worked great on the Nokia.

There in are known issues with the Nokia gateways and they are working on a fix but there is no eta. Luckily I had not returned my Askey gateway and T-Mobile canceled my return on it and are allowing me to keep and use it until there is a fix for the Nokia.  

Please, Xbox live and Xbox voice chat is very important to me. I want home internet for Xbox gaming, but there’s no way I’m giving my money to Spectrum. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

A large part of the problem stems from inbound unsolicited traffic… not being able to open ports for it to come in reliably.

Sure, UPnP or manual rules may appear to be working… but it appears to get blocked/filtered at the forward facing end on T-Mobile’s side of the equation.  So it doesn’t get through to the local hardware reliably so it can be forwarded properly.

It is tied into their use of 464XLAT for going back and forth between the local IPv4 LAN and their IPv6 only network.  That approach is HORRIBLE for peer-to-peer style applications.

They need to come up with a better way to manage the dual-stack situation in general.

My white box unit has recently started dropping connections to my devices. Usually, the 5G connection stops working but, occasionally the 2.4 GHz connection goes out as well. The box seems to indicate everything is fine but, the connections to the device don’t work and require a power cycle of the box. Very annoying. 

I’ve had the t-mobile home internet for a week now. I have great download & decent upload speeds.  But for gaming it’s a issue (which we all know).I have the gray model & one thing I noticed  port forwarding should’ve been added. One thing for sure the latency is crazy at times, it’s not too bad for me but very inconsistent at times. Also seems like when I’m on the xbox there’s always 1% Packet loss which is weird my old service provider was not working too good for me  anymore & I didn’t have any many option at my apartment building. But my old internet never had any packet loss so that’s a issue. Hopefully t-Mobile will fix these issues to help gamers be able to have a decent experience.   

P.S. ( For the gamer who are playing on xbox if you are having NAT issues such as UPnP not successful, then click on test NAT type & keep retesting it. It should say NAT type is Open right now) 

You’re welcome! :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s been a couple of days now and it’s still working just fine. I also tried streaming while playing last night on my Twitch channel and that also seemed to work out. 

Is there a 3rd party option to replace the grey unit they send out or are we stuck with this combo device?

….

Sure, UPnP or manual rules may appear to be working… but it appears to get blocked/filtered at the forward facing end on T-Mobile’s side of the equation.  So it doesn’t get through to the local hardware reliably so it can be forwarded properly.

It is tied into their use of 464XLAT for going back and forth between the local IPv4 LAN and their IPv6 only network.  That approach is HORRIBLE for peer-to-peer style applications.

I’m not sure I understand your technical reasoning, but i don’t dispute it. I only wonder if the ability to put the gateway in bridge mode and connect our own routers with UPnP and ports configured as we like would solve this? 
I just signed up, my gateway is on the way, I only started researching what to expect, and I am disappointed enough reading about the crippled LAN management options (fixed IP subnet, no guest network, etc.) but the lack of ability to dynamically open ports kind of shocks me. My first 802.11b routers 20+ years ago could do more.
Thus my question, @djb14336 , rather than wait for T-Mobile to add features bit by bit, would pushing for an advanced option (unsupported, if that’s what it takes) to enable bridge mode be a better route, or would that suffer from the same limitations you describe?
Thanks!

I just got mine today. Couldn’t get hbo max to work on my tv, Xbox live shows moderate nat but goes away after retesting. Latency is much higher than lan when gaming (40ms higher even with full reception and 5g). Packet drops are obvious and latency spikes happen enough to cause problems. I really think this needs midband 5g to make a big change and they need to offer a modem only option. Not to mention the 2+ hour hold time to talk with support. Unfortunately I’m returning mine tomorrow because it doesn’t work for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Toeknee well, not JUST the ability to bridge the modem... more the other things that should come with it.

The problem basically stems from us not having an actual forward facing IP of our own to work with... we are getting forced through layers that are not allowing the NAT/port traversal mechanisms to work properly.

We can't even do a proper v6 delegation because of it.

Everything gets forced through their modem's v4 layer, going through a funky translation in the process.  If this "v4/v6/v4 bridging" were eliminated, we should in theory be getting a proper forward facing IP.  Even if it was ONLY v6, at least v6 aware applications would work... but some form of translation would still need to be in play to deal with the v4 applications.

Ideally we would want to be given a forward facing v4 address as well that would retain/honor the port ID's and such.  That is what the ATT/Spectrums of the world do--give us BOTH types of public addresses.

Alternatively, they could use more advanced translation methods that would retain/respect the port assignments so NAT works as it should from end to end.

There are better methods for dealing with the dual v4/v6 needs of our endpoint networks.  They just chose one of the WORST models to implement.

Thanks for the reply, the details are clearly out of the range of my expertise. I’m not going to hold out much hope that this will be an ideal replacement for my almost 20 year cable modem service through Comcrass which is stable as heck but expensive as hell.

Centurylink fiber is finally within a mile of my house which apparently works extremely well for those in the area lucky enough to have it, offering close to gigabit speed for ~$70/mo. 
Again, thanks.